Accused on bail returns to court on three new charges
Magistrate Douglas Frederick was a frustrated man when an accused already on bail for six offences was back before the court today on three new charges.
Jaleel Kadem Callender, a 21-year-old labourer of Barbarees Hill, St Michael, faces charges of unlawfully and recklessly engaging in conduct which placed Marvin Victor and Akeem Waithe in danger of death or serious bodily harm on November 23, 2014, and intentionally damaging Victor’s car on the same date.
He was not required to plead to the indictable charges.
Callender had previously been granted $60,000 bail with two sureties, by a High Court judge.
“It seems as though they (the judges) are undermining the decisions of the magistrates’ courts . . . I am seeing this time and time again,” Frederick said, referring to the fact that after magistrates refuse an accused bail, several of them would apply to the High Court and were granted bail.
He contended that magistrates usually had sound reasons for withholding bail.
“I think prison is the best place for you,” the magistrate told Callender.
“I suspect you may be in danger – and if I keep you, you may not be.”
Asked whether he still wanted bail in light of the magistrate’s advice, the accused replied in the affirmative.
Douglas was speaking after the prosecutor, Acting Station Sergeant Junior Kirton, objected to and attorney-at-law Allan Carter asked for bail for Callender.
Adding his voice, Acting Station Sergeant Neville Watson stressed that his concern was whether Callender’s behaviour “would affect civil society” if released.
Carter told the magistrate his client was already reporting to a police station in relation to the High Court bail.
Magistrate Frederick eventually granted Callender $20,000 bail and adjourned the matter until April 20.