News Feed

October 24, 2016 - Colombians arrested and charged Police have arrested and charged tw ... +++ October 24, 2016 - Man on firearm and ammo charge Police have arrested and charged 54 ... +++ October 24, 2016 - 62-year-old St Lucy resident missing Police are seeking the assistance o ... +++ October 24, 2016 - Today’s weather A tropical wave is affecting the is ... +++ October 24, 2016 - Police probe death at Golden Ridge, St George Police are investigating the sudden ... +++ October 24, 2016 - Possible funding for NGOs The Division of Economic Affairs ha ... +++

Barrack now to get money by June

Another timeline has been set for an end to the Al Barrack saga.

Describing the dispute between Government and the owner of the Warrens Office Complex as “a work in progress”, Minister of Housing and Lands Denis Kellman told Barbados TODAY he was confident it would be settled by June at the latest.

He said he was dedicated to ensuring the contractor got the money due to him.

“When I was in Opposition I thought he was [treated unfairly], my comrades thought he was [treated unfairly], and now we’re in Government we have to live up to what we spoke about while in opposition,” Kellman insisted.

“We have all intentions of him being a happy man, but as you know matters like these are not [easily resolved].”

The dispute between Barrack and the Government came to a head last August when the contractor chained the doors of the Warrens Office Complex, prohibiting scores of civil servants from the various state agencies housed in the complex from entering.

One of the many heated exchanges between Al Barrack (at left) and Denis Kellman last August.

One of the many heated exchanges between Al Barrack (at left) and Denis Kellman last August.

Barrack had been awarded $34 million by the law courts eight years ago after suing the Government over the completion of the complex.

Building contractor Al Barrack

Building contractor Al Barrack

In November, he was paid $5 million and reports suggested he would have received another $8 million last month.

However, a source close to him said he had not received any additional monies.

Kellman told Barbados TODAY he was committed to seeing the issue through to the end.

“It was a very complex issue and I’m proud to say I’m happy with the position of my comrades in the Cabinet, the support they have given me, in trying to get this particular issue settled,” he said.

“I’m hoping we can solve it soon.”

LIME 100 4G Strip Ad 3X10.5

4 Responses to Barrack now to get money by June

  1. James Austin Bynoe
    James Austin Bynoe February 5, 2015 at 1:27 am

    Robbing Peter to play Paul …. The financial juggle continues

  2. MariaMaria Angel
    MariaMaria Angel February 5, 2015 at 1:49 am

    smdh……put a hold on all minister salaries until the debts are paid, lol. It’s not like they do anything….

  3. Alec Pierre February 5, 2015 at 10:01 am

    For the number of times St. Clair wrote that cheque poor Mr Alec must be a multi billionaire by now. But line: few people, if any, bueve anything the government has to say whether it’s on The sugar debacle, CLICO debacle, the Al Barrack debacle, the ethics of allowing the Speaker to remain in such an “ancient and noble position and on and on ad infinitum. As the great African American abolitionist Frederick Douglas (1818-95?) once said “power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and never will. Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue till they are resisted………”

  4. Alec Pierre February 5, 2015 at 10:06 am

    Read Mr “Al” not Alec. Also ” but very few people, if any, believe anything etc
    Many thanks


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *