News Feed

October 24, 2016 - Police probe death at Golden Ridge, St George Police are investigating the sudden ... +++ October 24, 2016 - Possible funding for NGOs The Division of Economic Affairs ha ... +++ October 23, 2016 - Barbados welcomes MV Viking Star The MV Viking Star docked for the f ... +++ October 23, 2016 - Griffith wins BLP nomination in St John   Charles Griffith will repres ... +++ October 23, 2016 - Hudson Griffith withdraws from BLP nomination for St John seat     As supporters of the ... +++ October 23, 2016 - Chelsea thrash Mourinho’s United 4-0 Source: AFP- LONDON, United Kingdom ... +++

Homes on the horizon

. . . but fewer than expected as one project is scaled back  

Despite delays to developments at Constant, St George and Parish Land, St Philip, Minister of Housing and Lands Denis Kellman is confident they will be completed this year, although one of them will provide only half the promised number of houses.

The developments are 90 per cent ready, with the St George project due to be finished in April.

While officials had initially announced the construction of 60 houses at Constant, only 33 have been built.

Minister of Housing and Lands Denis Kellman.

Minister of Housing and Lands Denis Kellman.

Kellman explained that the project, which began in December 2008, had been scaled back after it was deemed that CLICO Holdings, which had partnered with the National Housing Corporation (NHC), was incapable of completing the work because of its financial troubles.

As a result, he said, the houses as well as the lots that were earmarked for construction would all be sold.

“We now have to do the total costing because we will have to see what it costs us now to complete,” Kellman told Barbados TODAY.

The Parish Land housing development, on which work began four years ago, is expected to be handed over by September.

Work on several houses and the installation of electricity poles by the Barbados Light and Power Company and a sewage system have not yet been completed.

Around 33 houses are being built at Constant.

Around 33 houses are being built at Constant.

Most of the houses have been built       at Parish Land. 

Most of the houses have been built at Parish Land.

The minister said the two housing projects would bring in much needed revenue to the NHC, which continues to spend more than it earns.

2 Responses to Homes on the horizon

  1. madmax coppin February 5, 2015 at 8:36 am

    the only thing they earn is wood ants, a lot of people want some where to live,,they can rent them instead of letting them stay there

  2. kathy-Ann Clarke February 5, 2015 at 2:45 pm

    man, my head does hurt me every time I see any of the projects that ear marked for people. Cause , take for example, the Project at Coverly, that only will get the rich and famous, the NHC projects, I really don’t know what to say, cause they supposed to be helping the Low income earner, and I still cant get not one. You mean to say that they going to be building all the time, and just a handful of people will be able to live in these houses. They now telling me, my earnings will put me , you know where?? A project that ain’t even start, so tell me when I will be able to occupy that house, will it be in the 25th Century?? SMH>>>>


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *