Members selected for Employment Rights Tribunal
All nine members of the reconstituted Employment Rights Tribunal have now been selected and it appears that the February 1 target date for the body to be up and running will be met.
At a meeting last night, the Congress of Trade Unions and Staff Associations of Barbados (CTUSAB) named labour’s remaining two representatives to sit on the tribunal, after the break away Barbados Workers’ Union (BWU) had separately submitted Beverley Beckles as its nominee.
While declining to identify the two selected by CTUSAB, president Cedric Murrell told Barbados TODAY the names would be submitted to the ministry early next week.
The Barbados Employers Confederation (BEC) also confirmed that it had met and decided on its three representatives.
Executive director Tony Walcott told Barbados TODAY he would first have to advise the ministry before making the names public.
He said that would be done next week.
The Government’s three representatives have already been selected, all of them attorneys-at-law.
They are chairman Hal Gollop QC and his deputies Kathy Ann Hamblin and Ryan Omari Drakes.
Gollop had explained that two deputies were selected because three panels would be functioning simultaneously and two of them would headed by those deputies.
Minister of Labour Dr Esther Byer recently told reporters the unions had assured her their nominees would be in before month end and once that was done, the tribunal should be up and running from the beginning of next month.
More than 70 cases are down for consideration and Gollop has already said the matter related to the retrenched National Conservation Commission (NCC) employees would be top on the agenda.
The NCC workers have been waiting to have their case heard since April last year.