October 27, 2016 - United win Manchester derby Juan Mata struck to win a tight Man ... +++ October 27, 2016 - IAAF wants Bolt’s services KINGSTON, Jamaica – IAAF Pres ... +++ October 27, 2016 - Proper shutdown protocol needed, says Bynoe The Department of Emergency Managem ... +++ October 27, 2016 - ‘Out of touch’ Economist Ryan Straughn says the la ... +++ October 27, 2016 - Lowe looking to protect the south coast A senior policymaker has warned tha ... +++ October 27, 2016 - Road Hockey 5s hit halfway mark After three weeks of competition th ... +++

KINGSTON – British High Commission in Jamaica has asked United Kingdom Immigration authorities to give urgent attention to the case of Lloyd Bogle, the 64-year-old Jamaican who has been living in England for more than 50 years and who, because of his immigration status, is now stranded here after a two-week visit.

“We are aware of the case. I was sorry to read about Mr Bogle’s situation today,” British High Commissioner David Fitton told the Jamaica Observer after seeing the newspaper’s front page story.

“I have asked colleagues in UK Visas and Immigration to review the case urgently. I cannot really comment any further on an individual case for reasons of privacy,” Fitton added.

Lloyd Bogle shows his UK driver’s licence. (Photo: Jamaica Observer)

Lloyd Bogle shows his UK driver’s licence. (Photo: Jamaica Observer)

Bogle, who left Jamaica when he was seven years old, arrived in the island on September 29, 2014 on a two-week visit to see the land of his birth, given that he had not travelled since going to England.

However, when he got to Sangster International Airport in Montego Bay on October 13 last year to take a return flight to England, he was told by Immigration officials that they could not allow him to leave.

“I got the shock of my life when I was turned back and told by authorities that I would have to have a visa to leave the country,” said the distraught-looking Bogle, who added that he was not aware of the travel requirement.

The reason for that is that Bogle, since leaving Jamaica just before the country achieved political independence from Britain, never applied for British citizenship. In fact, he said he didn’t renew his Jamaican passport until just before he travelled here on September 29, 2014.

“Since I migrated at age seven I have never travelled and never had any intention to. It was after I retired I decided to take a trip to Jamaica to see what the country was like,” Bogle told the Jamaica Observer yesterday.

“I knew no one in Jamaica; it was the first time I was travelling since I was seven,” Bogle emphasised on the verge of tears.

He said the two-week holiday in Portland was like a dream come true, but all of that changed when he got to the airport.

According to Bogle, after getting over the shock of being told about the visa, he was on the verge of sleeping on the streets, as he had nowhere to go, neither did he know where he was.

He said he managed to contact his mother in England and told her about his situation. She gave him the number for a Jamaican woman who once lived in England and told him to contact her for help.

Bogle said it was through the kindness of this woman, who gave him a place to stay, that he has been able to survive.

Acting on the advice from the Immigration officials, he made contact with the British High Commission in Kingston to apply for a visa and was given a list of documents he would need for the process.

He said he contacted his mother, who brought the documents to Jamaica.

“After I got the documents, I applied for the visa and, after waiting for some time, would receive another shock when I learnt that the visa was not approved,” Bogle told the Observer.

He said that no reason was given.

Now stranded, running out of money, and with no family in Jamaica, Bogle is desperate.

Bogle worked for close to 40 years in England, got married and later divorced. He is the father of two sons, who are both adults.

During his time there, he purchased a house and, after achieving most of his life’s dream, decided to take early retirement.

Yesterday, when the Observer contacted Bogle’s former boss, Roy Broadeent, in England, he said he was aware of Bogle’s plight.

“I have heard of the situation and am really shocked,” said Broadeent, former manager of Broadhurst Engineering, where Bogle worked before going to Manchester City Council.

“It is true, I have known Lloyd for over 30 years. He has been a resident in Oldham, Royton for all that time. During that time he worked for me and would later go on to work for Manchester City Council for at least 27 years,” said Broadeent. (Jamaica Observer)

19 Responses to Stranded!

1. Shurf De
    Shurf De January 21, 2015 at 6:10 pm

My question is how you live in a country so long and never applied for citizenship.

• Robert Holloway
      Robert Holloway January 21, 2015 at 8:24 pm

causse you assumed you had it , he was a child and thos was first time travelling ,,, I had the same experience in discovering I did not have citozenship though had a passport , laws chnaged,,, different country

2. Karen F-Glasgow
    Karen F-Glasgow January 21, 2015 at 6:15 pm

Wish u well

3. Daniel A Boxill
    Daniel A Boxill January 21, 2015 at 6:49 pm

What complicates this matter for me and I’d need clarification is did he always have Jamaican citizenship before he applied for the passport since he was born before and left before Jamaica became independent and therefore he would automatically have been a British subject/CUKC by birth and had he known to advise them of that? If anything shouldn’t he be entitled to be granted dual citizenship?

• Joseph Harding
      Joseph Harding January 21, 2015 at 8:03 pm

No Daniel, he would still have to apply for British citizenship. He will still hold Jamaican citizenship, unless of course he renounced it.

• Robert Holloway
      Robert Holloway January 21, 2015 at 8:25 pm

he was a child when he came to UK , parents did not register him so he fell into the hole

• John Simpson January 22, 2015 at 6:04 pm

Daniel after Jamaica became independent in 1962 his parents should have registered him to be a citizen of the UK which would enable him to apply for a British Passport otherwise he is therefore classed as a Jamaican citizen. He is entitled to dual citizenship if that is what he desire.

4. Robert Holloway
    Robert Holloway January 21, 2015 at 8:22 pm

about time , this was actioned

5. Jan Gibson
    Jan Gibson January 21, 2015 at 8:42 pm

Very sad and I hope all goes well for him.

6. Kathryn Serieux
    Kathryn Serieux January 21, 2015 at 10:47 pm

This man has no one to blame for this but himself. He owns a house– that most likely means that he applied for a mortgage. He had to show proof of work and other things. He worked for the city. He would know that there are procedures and protocols to follow. He applied for a passport: a Jamaican one. He can not now argue with any credibility that he did not know there were rules and procedures around travel. Immigration in the UK has been topical in the news for years. What this man is is ill-prepared and lacking diligence, which, to my mind, does not necessitate special consideration.

7. Ken Debajee
    Ken Debajee January 21, 2015 at 11:26 pm

this man a real goatcunt, 50 years, and you keep your head up your azz, now crying in your beer,50 years in a country dont make you a citizen of that country, you travel on a jamaican passport to go back to jamaica, , JAMAICAN passport nah get you outta jamaica fool, question is did he go to school in the UK, i’m betting not ah idiot dis BUT he look good for 64, cold weather musse agree with him

• John Simpson January 22, 2015 at 6:26 pm

Ken there is no need for you to be so nasty towards anyone particularly when they are in dire strait, hopefully his problem will be sorted out and he will be back in the UK soon

8. Shurf De
    Shurf De January 22, 2015 at 1:15 am

I hope it works out in his favour.

9. Maxine Hutchinson January 22, 2015 at 2:10 pm

Is he in a relationship?
    Did he tell any of his “friends” that he was going to Jamaica?
    Did those he would have considered to be his friends in England know of his status there?
    Did someone want him out of England now that he has retired? Can he get his money out of England?
    Can he sell his house there and get the money wired to him in order that he can build afresh, but in Jamaica?
    Does he have plans of making friends in Jamaica? He will surely need some of them.

I believe that by this time he has come to realise that he may not have been as smart as he had thought himself to be. He may very well have the answer as to why he was “lured” into this situation.

Why did he come alone?
    Was there anyone who may have wanted to accompany him? Who stands to benefit from him being stranded in Jamaica?

I believe he would need to answer these questions for himself. Sounds to me that he got tricked big time.

Sorry sir. Maybe if you tell us a bit more of your story, we may be able to assist you in finding all the “pieces of your puzzle”.

10. Michelle September 12, 2016 at 10:23 pm

I am sorry to hear of his misfortune, however I would recommend that he looks up the “Bogle’s” in Jamaica. There are several Bogles in Kingston and Montego Bay still left. He may be able to connect to see if there is a family connection and they should be able to help him out. Family is family…no matter how late they meet in life.