Jamaican authorities seek to allay Ebola fears
The health ministry is seeking to assure Jamaicans that there is no need for alarm after several persons who had been quarantined as a precaution against the deadly Ebola virus were released into the general population.
On Friday, the health ministry revealed that eight persons who had travelled to Ebola-stricken countries in the last 21 days had been quarantined.
Health Minister Dr Fenton Ferguson said this was part of the government’s efforts to safeguard the population and to minimise any possible risk of the disease being introduced in Jamaica.
The health ministry said these individuals displayed no signs and or symptoms of the Ebola virus and that seven of the eight were released or elected to leave the island before the end of the 21-day quarantine period.
The eighth individual remained quarantined until yesterday.
However, Acting Chief Medical Officer of Health Dr Marion Bullock-Ducasse told The Gleaner-Power 106 News Centre that the person was released after final checks yesterday revealed that there were no symptoms of the Ebola virus.
She said the eight persons included Jamaicans who had travelled to Ebola-affected countries. (The Gleaner-Power 106 News Centre)