October 24, 2016 - Colombians arrested and charged Police have arrested and charged tw ... +++ October 24, 2016 - Man on firearm and ammo charge Police have arrested and charged 54 ... +++ October 24, 2016 - 62-year-old St Lucy resident missing Police are seeking the assistance o ... +++ October 24, 2016 - Today’s weather A tropical wave is affecting the is ... +++ October 24, 2016 - Police probe death at Golden Ridge, St George Police are investigating the sudden ... +++ October 24, 2016 - Possible funding for NGOs The Division of Economic Affairs ha ... +++

Mother questions motive behind son’s shooting

A cool afternoon ride home from visiting his girlfriend on Monday turned near tragic for Akiyo Belgrave.

While travelling along Barbarees Hill, St Michael around 4 p.m., the 18-year-old was shot in his abdomen, just a stone’s throw away from his home.

Akiyo Belgrave

Akiyo Belgrave

And his mother Michelle Belgrave is thanking God for sparing his life. She told Barbados TODAY she was still in disbelief.

Michelle Belgrave, mother of Akiyo Belgrave (inset), is thanking God for sparing her son’s life.

“He went by his girlfriend, so he was riding coming back home. This happened in a matter of 45 minutes. Minutes to three he left here and then minutes to four it happened,” she recalled.

“I found out like five minutes after. He rode the bicycle after and came up and a neighbour saw him and he signalled to him and told him two guys attacked him so our neighbour helped him come up. When he got here he said ‘Mummy’ but I didn’t answer him because he is always ‘Mummy, Mummy, Mummy’ so I didn’t say anything. I say to myself ‘I wonder what he want now’ and Akiyo said ‘Mummy, you believe two men now shoot me?’ I really thought he was making sport, but he moved his hand and he showed me the hole in his stomach.”

She is questioning why someone would target her child whom she described as “a very well-behaved boy who doesn’t like outside”.

“I could testify to this. My child is no block child. He’s never on the road liming or anything like that so I would really like to know what is the motive. Why them could do this to my son? I know that boys get into trouble and the first thing their parents say is ‘my son was a good boy’, but I know my son. He don’t lime on the block, nothing so. He is in the house most of the time.”

“When he is at home he would play video games, sometimes he would go out with his friends, but most of the time his friends would be here. I does have a full house with his friends here.”

Speaking to Barbados TODAY at her Barbarees Gardens, St Michael home, as she listened to gospel music and prepared for her evening hospital visit, she confirmed that Akiyo was improving.

“We saw him this afternoon and he is taking clear fluids. He’s drinking water and apple juices and soups. I would say that he is out of the woods,” she said.

Akiyo, a former student of the St Michael School, had been in the process of applying to the University of the West Indies.

Belgrave said she was looking forward to having her son at home with her again.

21 Responses to Mother questions motive behind son’s shooting

1. Uadoremi Hinds
    Uadoremi Hinds January 16, 2015 at 7:49 am

Raven Greaves

2. Ken Debajee
    Ken Debajee January 16, 2015 at 8:13 am

16 days in the year 3 shooting in little bim of 280k people WELCOME to life in jamaica and trinidad bajans you have arrived hope you are proud

3. Mhizz Lucious Boo
    Mhizz Lucious Boo January 16, 2015 at 8:14 am

Wonder y these boys targetin bear young followers n playing with guns feel its toys y shoot a innocent boy is this grudge r wat every five min someone from town r closed by does get shoot r place shoot up ppl need to stop this violence

4. Mhizz Lucious Boo
    Mhizz Lucious Boo January 16, 2015 at 8:16 am

Wish u speedy recovery thank god your not dead

5. Donna Harewood January 16, 2015 at 8:56 am

Could be a case of mistaken identity. I have that happen to me many times. One man argued with me that I was somebody else who up till recently had worked in insurance. My longtime workmates could not convince him otherwise. One woman argued with me that she sits with me every week at the clinic where I take my daughter. My workmates could not convince her I wasn’t absent every Tuesday and that I didn’t have a daughter. Another lady had to correct someone who greeted her by my name. She told that workmate of my mother that though she knew me she was not Donna and that she was quite used to being mistaken for me. Praying for a speedy recovery for the young man.

6. Apostle Winston Cumberbatch Barnett
    Apostle Winston Cumberbatch Barnett January 16, 2015 at 9:11 am

WHY ? and who? why are these young men being shot at and somtimes being killed ? who are they mixing with ? who are they company ? what are they engagements behind they parents back ? are they really as nice and lovely as they parents always say they are ?

• Cumberbatch Sophia
      Cumberbatch Sophia January 16, 2015 at 9:30 am

Apostle I thought better of you yes some of them bad but all can’t be bad.It could be a case of mistaken identity. You should be thanking God for sparing his life not passing judgment .

• Apostle Winston Cumberbatch Barnett
      Apostle Winston Cumberbatch Barnett January 16, 2015 at 9:40 am

DEAR SISTER, I am not passing any judgement hereas I do not know the person, but as A thinking person I am only ASKING what is really going on around these young men who are being shot at, I do not know who they are, but I yet ask again, who are they friends and company, YES ; YES; YES , Accidents DO HAPPEN, YES YES, there is A thing such as MISTAKEN identity ,, yes yes that is true, SO IS ALL OF THESE SHOOTINGS mistaken IDENTITY or is it FRIENDS shooting at FRIENDS ???

• Alisa Cox-West
      Alisa Cox-West January 16, 2015 at 11:36 am

You are asking and questioning his character when you should be praying. Regardless of friends or enemies, he is no less a child of God so save your judgement and instead opt to pray without ceasing.

• Apostle Winston Cumberbatch Barnett
      Apostle Winston Cumberbatch Barnett January 16, 2015 at 1:28 pm

My Dear Friend, I WISH THE YOUNG MAN and al the others who are SUFFERING A speedy RECOVERY, some folks seem to think that I am Accusing the young man for his injuries,, I AM NOT, I am just simply ASKING A LITTLE QUESTION.. why so much SHOOOOTTINGGSS of the young men ? THAT IS ALL I AM ASKING, I DID NOT SAY that he is GUILTY of any wrong doing, …of course NOT, ” I WISH him well ” AND I sincerely hope all those who are SHOOTING WILL be caught very SOON, as A matter of fact,, I HOPE and wish that all those who carry guns will be ARRESTED and PUT AWAY….

• Sharon Woolley
      Sharon Woolley January 16, 2015 at 2:16 pm

Yet another religious hypocrite

• Alison Branch
      Alison Branch January 16, 2015 at 6:02 pm

I want mothers to join me in spiritual warfare for our sons. I don’t give a flying fig if you don’t have any, if we have daughters we need to pray even more that God will preserve good ones for our girl children! A righteous indignation rising up that we must fight the battle on our knees for our sons! Who ready for battle? ?

• Apostle Winston Cumberbatch Barnett
      Apostle Winston Cumberbatch Barnett January 16, 2015 at 9:34 pm

The Lord Bless and Keep You…lots of love

7. Cumberbatch Sophia
    Cumberbatch Sophia January 16, 2015 at 9:31 am

Wunna church people in do different .Pray for these young men that is what to do.

8. Veroniva Boyce
    Veroniva Boyce January 16, 2015 at 12:47 pm

The misfits of society have no value for life and the government doing nothing about gun crime. Thank God he lived to tell his mum what happened. Next time mum, when your son call you, answer him no matter how trivial or annoying it might sound, that could of been the last time he called your name and you heard his voice. Embrace every moment with your son. Wishing your son a speedy recovery all the way from the UK.

9. Hope Bless
    Hope Bless January 16, 2015 at 1:03 pm

Sorry may bless him

10. Paige Mullin-Payne
    Paige Mullin-Payne January 16, 2015 at 2:00 pm

Carla Forde

11. Apostle Winston Cumberbatch Barnett
    Apostle Winston Cumberbatch Barnett January 16, 2015 at 3:36 pm

My dear Alisa , I am Praying, I am Not Judging , and I pray and hope that the young man is home and well very soon to give joy and Happiness to his mother and family, PLEASE , PLEASE please, I am Not Condemning neither am I Judging but I still will ask the Question ,, ” WHY SO MUCH GUN SHOOTING ?? ” not judging but ASKING A QUESTION…. please tell me ..please …

12. Victoria Lily
    Victoria Lily January 16, 2015 at 10:19 pm

my wild guess is something to do with the girl friend … wishing him speedy recovery and peace for mum.

13. kay-rani rosita January 16, 2015 at 10:47 pm

Do stop trying to justify yourself, you need to repent and stop trying to be so clever. Is it so difficult for you to admit you were wrong and apologise?
    Next time you feel to ask a question…ask God!

14. joy January 18, 2015 at 5:30 am

Unless we start asking questions we will NEVER be able to generate possible solutions for change therefore all possible questions must be asked in order to understand what is really happening. Not all questions will be pleasant but very often the answer is very much in those unpleasant ones. I do not get the impression the gentleman is judging.