News Feed

October 25, 2016 - Vehicle overturns at Warrens Police say no injuries were reporte ... +++ October 25, 2016 - Digital direction Send and receive money digitally, e ... +++ October 25, 2016 - GG winding down school visits In a matter of weeks, once all goes ... +++ October 25, 2016 - Husbands, Walcott brilliant in Canada TORONTO, Canada – Veteran Bar ... +++ October 25, 2016 - Many positives on Windies A tour DAMBULLA, Sri Lanka – Head co ... +++ October 25, 2016 - Dismissal of iMart cashier raises eyebrows The Labour Department is said to be ... +++


Former NCC workers represented by BWU reject protest action

The Barbados Workers’ Union (BWU) will not be joining the National Union of Public Workers’ (NUPW) protest against the delay in justice for former National Conservation Commission (NCC) employees.

The retrenched NCC employees represented by the BWU today said a resounding “no” to any such action.

Following a two-and-a-half-hour meeting at BWU headquarters with the workers this afternoon, General Secretary Toni Moore told reporters that members opted to pursue their matter before a newly constituted Employment Rights Tribunal, rather than take protest action or demand their severance now.

The NUPW will hit the streets at a date and time to be decided by its National Council, to protest the long delay in having its members’ case heard by the tribunal and the non-response from Minister of Finance Chris Sinckler to a request for an interim stipend to ease the former employees’ hardships.

But Moore said she was not bothered by the NUPW’s approach.

BWU General Secretary Toni Moore

BWU General Secretary Toni Moore

“We are heartened that these former workers of the National Conservation Commission, not withstanding the hardship, have determined for themselves and not with any coaching by us that they would want to pursue the matter following a course of principle – one that seeks to demand for themselves justice because they are satisfied that had process been properly observed to date, those among us in this audience would still have been working,” she stressed.

Moore said that once the tribunal – which was hit by the resignations of eight of its nine members last month – was reconstituted, the BWU would be “pursuing the matter via that means unless some other reasonable alternative that gives to the workers the kind of justice that they are pursuing can be suggested to us”.

Moore said that up to this point, the union has no such alternative.

The BWU leader said the former NCC workers were confident that utilizing the tribunal would give them maximum justice in a situation that had been “unfair, untenable and ugly”.

She noted that if the tribunal ruled in the workers’ favour, they could seek damages in addition toseverance.

“If a tribunal finds that it can accept the arguments being put by the Barbados Workers’ Union that process had not been adhered to, the tribunal can rule for reinstatement or the tribunal can rule for damages on top of severance,” she pointed out.

“There can be damages for pain, suffering, for loss of homes, for loss of family, for loss of whatever else has been incurred during the time, as a result of the unwarranted action taken by the National Conservation Commission.”

On the matter of the NUPW’s call for an interim stipend, Moore said it was not raised at today’s meeting.

The BWU boss said that, in any case, she was unsure how such a payment would be determined.

“How the Employment Rights Tribunal would really be able to treat to that when making a final determination when that moment comes – those are issues beyond my limited legal capacity,” she said.


2 Responses to NOT US!

  1. Angela Maria
    Angela Maria January 6, 2015 at 12:08 am

    never place bets on a dead horse,hear?

  2. Tony Webster January 6, 2015 at 5:48 am

    The “clout”, and effectiveness, of this tribunal is best guaged not only by its opportunistic and rushed creation, but moreso by the precedent(s) already firmly in place. Namely, by how the government-of-the-day (both B’s and D’s) has “respected”-or otherwise- the decisions by the highest courts in our land, regarding prompt settlement of awards legally due and payable to successful litigants over the past couple decades, including:-
    1. The “Q.E.H. Three”.
    2. Al Barrack.
    3. All those whose land has been compulsorily acquired…and are decades later, yet awaiting payment.

    The very people we trust to rule us wisely and well, are those who contemptuously and capriciously shake the very foundations of our democratic society. You really think that the Powers That Write Cheques, gine jump into action, at the ruling of a mere tribunal? It might be more meaningful, for those grievously offended and injured, to try a waltz with the A.D.R. darlings.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *