News Feed

October 26, 2016 - Government has run out of options – Arthur Government’s fiscal policy is inf ... +++ October 26, 2016 - Sick airline A top official of regional airline ... +++ October 26, 2016 - Teachers back away from court threat The Barbados Union of Teachers (BUT ... +++ October 26, 2016 - Beacon supports regulatory move Beacon Insurance Company is giving ... +++ October 26, 2016 - Challenge series returns Sunday Suzuki Challenge Series (SCS) point ... +++ October 26, 2016 - Waste to energy still alive – Lowe The Cahill project might be a thing ... +++

Right move

Poor form hurt Dwayne Bravo

Had Dwayne Bravo scored heavily in the West Indies’ recent ill-fated tour of India, there could have been an argument of victimization over his sacking as the regional side’s ODI captain.

So says outspoken cricket administrator Conde Riley, who is backing the appointment of Barbadian fast-bowler, Jason Holder, as the new West Indies ODI skipper.

Conde Riley

Conde Riley

Speaking to Barbados TODAY this afternoon, Riley, a current Barbados Cricket Association (BCA) board member, and former director of the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB), said Bravo’s poor showing in India was reason enough for the Trinidadian to be replaced as captain.

He argued that Bravo’s lawyer, Ralph Thorne QC, had no basis on which to argue that his client had been victimized.

“If in those three matches in India Dwayne Bravo had scored a lot of runs, then I could understand him saying that he was being victimized.

“But in three matches he had scores of 0, 0 and seven. Isn’t that reason enough to be dropped?” Riley questioned.

“For the past couple years the West Indies have not been doing well in ODI cricket. The selectors saw the need for new leadership and I see absolutely nothing wrong with that.”

Furthermore, he pointed out that the move to elevate the 23 year-old Holder to captain, should not have come as a complete surprise, since other countries had also made similar moves to put young players at the helm of their teams.

He cited the move by Australia to appoint 25 year-old Steve Smith as Test captain, while India had also gone with another youngster in 26 year-old Virat Kohli to lead the ODI side.

Riley also admonished Bravo for his role in the aborted tour of India.

However, he explained that having watched Holder throughout his cricketing career, he thought that he was the right man for the job.

“From what I have seen from Jason and from reading Clive Lloyd’s comments, Jason is a good candidate,” he noted.

“Throughout his career, he has shown himself to be a leader and to be the kind of player who understands and respects the responsibility of being captain of the West Indies.

“The history of cricket is very rich in the Caribbean, and I think that a youngster like Jason has the ability to uphold that proud tradition of being a captain and to lead us back to our glory days,” Riley added.

The chairman of the Barbados Pride franchise insisted there was a need for all future West Indies captains to be given a lesson in the history of West Indies cricket.

This he said was a necessity if the India fiasco was never to be repeated.

“What happened in India was an embarrassment to the Caribbean. It was ill-advised and it was irrational,” Riley complained.

“Our future captains must understand the importance of West Indies cricket to the region and what it means to the Caribbean and Caribbean people on a whole.

“This must never happen again. What happened in India should be the first and the last time that such an occurrence ever takes place.”

One Response to Right move

  1. Alex Alleyne December 25, 2014 at 1:10 am

    The “lot” of them should never play for WI again. Now we see that WICB call up the “yes-man” SAMMY………. No way forward for WI cricket in sight.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *