News Feed

October 23, 2016 - Barbados welcomes MV Viking Star The MV Viking Star docked for the f ... +++ October 23, 2016 - Griffith wins BLP nomination in St John   Charles Griffith will repres ... +++ October 23, 2016 - Hudson Griffith withdraws from BLP nomination for St John seat     As supporters of the ... +++ October 23, 2016 - Chelsea thrash Mourinho’s United 4-0 Source: AFP- LONDON, United Kingdom ... +++ October 23, 2016 - Relief on the way, says BWA The Barbados Water Authority (BWA) ... +++ October 23, 2016 - SSA board could face legal action, Comissiong warns Outspoken social activist and attor ... +++

WORLD-Sydney gunman was wanted in Iran

TEHRAN –– Iran says it requested 14 years ago the extradition of Man Haron Monis –– the gunman behind the Sydney siege –– but Australia refused to hand him over.

The head of Iran’s police, General Ismail Ahmadi Moghaddam, told reporters that Monis was wanted for fraud at the time.

He said Monis had fled to Australia via Malaysia in the late 1990s.

Haron Monis was known in Iran as 'Manteqi' and was wanted on fraud charges.

Haron Monis was known in Iran as ‘Manteqi’ and was wanted on fraud charges.

Monis and two hostages were shot dead yesterday morning, when commandos stormed the Sydney café where he had been holding captives for 16 hours.

Moghaddam said Monis was known in Iran as “Manteqi”.

“In 1996, he was the manager of a travel agency and committed fraud,” the general told reporters. “He then fled to Malaysia and from there, to Australia under a fake name.”

He added that “since we did not have an agreement on the extradition of criminals with Australia, the Australian police refused to extradite him”.

Monis applied for political asylum to obtain refugee status in Australia, Moghaddam said, describing the incident as “a play”.

Meanwhile the Australian government has announced it is investigating why Monis was released on bail on separate charges.

He had a history of religiously inspired activism, but officials say there is as yet no evidence his actions were linked to international Islamist movements.

In 2009 he was convicted of sending offensive letters to the families of fallen Australian soldiers.

In 2013, he was charged with being an accessory to the murder of his ex-wife, and given bail.

He also faced more than 40 sexual and indecent assault charges.

Monis had “vehemently denied” the assault and accessory to murder charges, his former lawyer told the BBC.

Source: (BBC)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *