Army ready for Hamper Wednesday
While the Salvation Army has raised only just over $100,000 out of its $700,000 Christmas Appeal target, the charitable organization anticipates accommodating hundreds who will turn out at its City headquarters for food hampers on Wednesday.
Salvation Army public relations officer Major Denzil Walcott told Barbados TODAY that while the Christmas Appeal, launched two weeks ago, was a combined effort between the Kettle and Letter Appeals, where the Army hoped to raise $400,000 and $300,000 respectively, public response had been noticeably slow. Nevertheless, he added, people were giving more than
“I expect that between now and the end of the week,” Walcott said, “we can say more about how far we have reached. In the meantime, I want to appeal to Barbadians to keep giving, because this whole effort of helping our people is not only at Christmas time.
“The Salvation Army do this throughout the year. We will need your support to continue our programmes,” he said.
Walcott also revealed that since April the Army had seen the effects of this year’s civil servants job cuts, with an increase in the number of people coming forward for help.
However, the major stressed the Army was determined not to turn away any people in need turning up at its doors. Wednesday morning, he said, would be no different, as some 1,500 were expected to gather at the Army’s Reed Street headquarters for hampers.
The Army anticipates handing out approximately 2,100 parcels in all across Barbados on that day.
“You might see a lot of young people waiting for parcels; the point is that a lot of our young men on the streets who take drugs need a meal to eat, and they will be fed here and not given a food parcel.
“But we do as much as we can to give those who are really in need of food. Our food parcel is designed specially for the elderly. So when we interview people, based on their needs, we will give some of the younger ones as well,” Walcott explained, as volunteers busily prepared packages at Reed Street.