Woman remains hospitalised in critical condition following incident
A 36-year-old mother of two girls remains warded at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital (QEH) tonight in critical condition after she was chopped multiple times about her body with a cutlass by a known attacker.
While police have not yet revealed the identity of the St Michael man, in his 30s, who they apprehended a short distance away from the scene of this morning’s brutal attack, family members are already pointing the accusing finger at the father of Marva Ward’s two children, who along with the victim’s parents were still struggling to come to grips with the incident when a Barbados TODAY team visited their Haggatt Hall, St Michael home earlier this evening.
The terrible ordeal unfolded just after seven this morning as Ward, who is employed at the QEH as a maid, left home around 7 a.m. to walk 11-year-old Deansha to the bus stop.
After seeing the child off to school, Ward, who is also the mother of 10-year-old Delesha, reportedly went to a nearby newspaper vendor to make a purchase and was making her way back home when the attack occurred.
An angry Leroy Brewster told Barbados TODAY that he was at home when he received the horrible news that his daughter, who he described as a churchgoer, had fallen victim to a severe cutlass attack.
“While I home here somebody start calling and hollering telling me to come. I put on a old pants and I went cross the hill over there and I see Marva out there in a pool of blood,” he said, still in disbelief following the incident.
“I couldn’t do nothing,” he said.
“I could not go near because my two foot would not [hold] me up, so two or three people bring me back home. I could not stay up, I really could not stay up,” said Brewster, who was still very shaken up over the entire episode.
The father of nine also reported that the incident had devastated Ward’s mother, who he said had been crying ever since she got word of the attack and had been unable to speak. The victim’s children also had to be counseled at school today.
While unable to say whether the victim and attacker were currently in a relationship, the taxi driver indicated that the two were last together at the family home on Sunday, when an argument ensued and he was forced to step in and ask the alleged perpetrator to leave.
“She [Ward] come out and told him, ‘it is time you go home in your bed where you live. Your bed is calling you’,” Brewster recalled.
However, the distraught father said his daughter’s alleged perpetrator had initially refused to leave.
“He still stay up there talking a lot of gibberish. So he get me kinda angry and I arose to my feet and I stay up. I told him, ‘listen, I don’t want nobody making no noise here. Any noise making here it is me’.
It was then that the father of Ward’s children left and “went about his business”, Brewster added.
Though admitting that his daughter and her alleged attacker were still friends up until then, “he got this thing in him about accusing her.
“If she leave here and go to church, she gone looking for a man,” he said.
However, he said he never suspected “that he had something up his sleeve”, meaning today’s vicious attack on Ward.
While hoping and praying for his daughter’s speedy recovery, Brewster, who is in his 70s, said he also wants to see the back of domestic violence.
“It is horrible to tell you the gospel truth. It should stop. It is a total disgrace that a woman can’t walk the road in peace. This violence want stopping, it want something doing about it and that is the truth.
“It is a total disgrace . . . It is foolishness,” he stressed.
“I feel that it can be stopped . . . after all we are human beings. It is not an ants you are walking on,” the visibly upset father said as he anxiously awaiting word on his daughter, who at the time was still undergoing emergency surgery.