October 25, 2016 - Police officer dies suddenly The Royal Barbados Police Force is ... +++ October 25, 2016 - St Peter woman arrested and charged A 26-year-old St Peter woman has be ... +++ October 25, 2016 - Vehicle overturns at Warrens Police say no injuries were reporte ... +++ October 25, 2016 - Digital direction Send and receive money digitally, e ... +++ October 25, 2016 - GG winding down school visits In a matter of weeks, once all goes ... +++ October 25, 2016 - Husbands, Walcott brilliant in Canada TORONTO, Canada – Veteran Bar ... +++

Cutlass attack

Woman remains hospitalised in critical condition following incident

A 36-year-old mother of two girls remains warded at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital (QEH) tonight in critical condition after she was chopped multiple times about her body with a cutlass by a known attacker.

The victim of today’s attack – Marva Ward.

The victim of today’s attack – Marva Ward.

While police have not yet revealed the   identity of the St Michael man, in his 30s, who they apprehended a short distance away from the scene of this morning’s brutal attack, family members are already pointing the accusing finger at the father of Marva Ward’s two children, who along with the victim’s parents were still struggling to come to grips with the incident when a Barbados TODAY team visited their Haggatt Hall, St Michael home earlier this evening.

The terrible ordeal unfolded just after seven this morning as Ward, who is employed at the QEH as a maid, left home around 7 a.m. to walk 11-year-old Deansha to the bus stop.

After seeing the child off to school,  Ward, who is also the mother of 10-year-old Delesha, reportedly went to a nearby newspaper vendor to make a purchase and was making her way back home when the attack occurred.

An angry Leroy Brewster told Barbados TODAY that he was at home when he received the horrible news that his daughter, who he described as a churchgoer, had fallen victim to a severe cutlass attack.

“While I home here somebody start calling and hollering telling me to come. I put on a old pants and I went cross the hill over there and I see Marva out there in a pool of blood,” he said, still in disbelief following the incident.

“I couldn’t do nothing,” he said.

“I could not go near because my two foot would not [hold] me up, so two or three people bring me back home. I could not stay up, I really could not stay up,” said Brewster, who was still very shaken up over the entire episode.

The father of nine also reported that the incident had  devastated Ward’s mother, who he said had been crying ever since she got word of the attack and had been unable to speak. The victim’s children also had to be counseled at school today.

While unable to say whether the victim and attacker were currently in a relationship, the taxi driver indicated that the two were last together at the family home on Sunday, when an argument ensued and he was forced to step in and ask the alleged perpetrator    to leave.

“She [Ward] come out and told him, ‘it is time you go home in your bed where you live. Your bed is calling you’,” Brewster recalled.

However, the distraught father said his daughter’s alleged perpetrator had initially refused to leave.

“He still stay up there talking a lot of gibberish. So he get me kinda angry and I arose to my feet and I stay up. I told him, ‘listen, I don’t want nobody making no noise here. Any noise making here it is me’.

It was then that the father of Ward’s children left and “went about his business”, Brewster added.

Though admitting that his daughter and her alleged attacker were still friends up until then, “he got this thing in him about accusing her.

“If she leave here and go to church, she gone looking for a man,” he said.

However, he said he never suspected “that he had something up his sleeve”, meaning today’s vicious attack on Ward.

While  hoping and praying for his daughter’s speedy recovery, Brewster, who is in his 70s, said he also wants to see the back of domestic violence.

“It is horrible to tell you the gospel truth. It should stop. It is a total disgrace that a woman can’t walk the road in peace. This violence want stopping, it want something doing about it and that is the truth.

“It is a total disgrace . . .  It is foolishness,” he stressed.

“I feel that it can be stopped . . .  after all we are human beings. It is not an ants you are walking on,” the visibly upset father said as he anxiously awaiting word on his daughter, who at the time was still undergoing emergency surgery.

52 Responses to Cutlass attack

1. Toni Carter Watson
    Toni Carter Watson December 11, 2014 at 2:30 am

I wish her a speedy recovery

2. Veronica A. Piggott
    Veronica A. Piggott December 11, 2014 at 2:58 am

Lord you are the mighty healer, I put everything into your hands those 2 children need a mother, to her family all I can say pray.

3. RoseAnn McClean December 11, 2014 at 2:58 am

So sorry this happen to her and her family, I wish her a speedy recovery, prayers will help her through this

4. Cornelius Drogo
    Cornelius Drogo December 11, 2014 at 3:05 am

Is it just me or is the word “Chopped” too insensitive? What is so wrong with attacked, assaulted…

5. Sherry Ann Thankful
    Sherry Ann Thankful December 11, 2014 at 3:56 am

May the Father see her and her family through this ordeal!

6. Sade Simpson
    Sade Simpson December 11, 2014 at 4:00 am

It’s only fair if police show the cutlass attacker brutality

7. Jacqueline Forde
    Jacqueline Forde December 11, 2014 at 4:09 am

May she recover

8. Carisma Amor
    Carisma Amor December 11, 2014 at 4:38 am

Speedy recovery to her

9. Suga Thoms
    Suga Thoms December 11, 2014 at 5:18 am

The wording of this article is alarming; it is too word for word and I find it offensive and tale bearing. I’m disappointed in the reporting and the reporter. Is this journalism at its best, smh.

10. Betty December 11, 2014 at 5:53 am

I pray that the Lord will carried she and her family through this time. But I want the Moses Law for him. A eye for a eye

11. Essie Boo
    Essie Boo December 11, 2014 at 5:59 am

Whether if it was chopped, attacked, assaulted, accosted, this is wrong on so many level. I’m a woman and this hurts me deeply. Although I don’t know the facts of the matter, a serious offence had occurred and a deadly weapon was involved. I wish her a speedy recovery and I pray that justice would be served.

12. Michelle Joseph
    Michelle Joseph December 11, 2014 at 6:06 am

Domestic violence is brutal….its hidden too much of the time or its always what did the person do to get beat on or cut…. The wording in this article is harsh but no where compares to the brutality of the actions of some people when it concerns domestic violence. It needs to stop….its senseless! May God heal the injured woman and may the “man” see the error of his ways and his punishment for his alleged (innocent until proven guilty) crime be firm, swift, and serve notice and be a lesson to future offenders that they may make a different choice. May God also be with the victims family and her two little girls.

13. Michael Grazette
    Michael Grazette December 11, 2014 at 6:08 am

She’s such a nice lady live tru d same gap as my girl cha why men come on when a woman say she done take it an move on it will hurt but u wud get over it wish u a speedy recovery

• Karen F-Glasgow
      Karen F-Glasgow December 11, 2014 at 10:16 am

These kind of attacks are not getting the much warranted punishment, so people are continuing to do as they like as the law makers in this country sit on they asses collecting they bounty. Where there is discipline, there is order!

14. Michael Grazette
    Michael Grazette December 11, 2014 at 6:14 am

This d second woman that get hack up from tru that gap Brenda bell R.I.P an now this young mother of 2

15. Lauraine Clarke
    Lauraine Clarke December 11, 2014 at 6:15 am

Jesus the healer ,we bring every thing to you ,we are asking you to protect the children at this time,we pray for the father, God protect the family in Jesus name: Amen

16. Maxine Layne
    Maxine Layne December 11, 2014 at 6:20 am

Dear Lord and father what is our little island coming too? That innocent people can no longer walk the streets because somebody has decided they have done them wrong and needs to be punished? Can you tell me anything she could have done to deserve that? What the hell now…..and then when the police beat dem John Public got nuff to say. I pray she recovers for the sake of those two children and prove that God is in the midst of everything. They say He doesn’t not give you more than you can bare…..this morning more than ever I pray that is true. My thoughts and prayers are with this family. This is so wrong on so many levels I cannot even begin to imagine! Robbing his own children of a mother but would turn and say he love them…..smh.

17. Carolyn Robertson
    Carolyn Robertson December 11, 2014 at 6:27 am

When is this goverment going to do some thing about domestic violence in this country

• Maxine Layne
      Maxine Layne December 11, 2014 at 8:44 am

When somebody brutally murders someone belonging to them that they can feel it!

18. Ann Gerrard
    Ann Gerrard December 11, 2014 at 6:42 am

Hope she as a speedy recovery so sad
    What about her children he not thought about them when they do these attacks disgusting
    How a man can HIT a Women is bad enough but to do this is unthinkable
    Bless her

19. CJ EmpressPoetry Layne
    CJ EmpressPoetry Layne December 11, 2014 at 6:47 am

Harsh words???? You think these words hurt more than the actions? It needs to be described as it has been so readers who cringe understand there is nothing sweet or beautiful ; nor SECRET about DOMESTIC VIOLENCE!

20. Barbara Barker
    Barbara Barker December 11, 2014 at 6:54 am

I was so touched by Marva Ward’s plight that after reading the article I could now fall back to sleep and instead wrote this poem in honor of ALL victims of domestic violence:

• Maxine Layne
      Maxine Layne December 11, 2014 at 8:47 am

Very well written! I commend you on this!

21. Sheron Fenty December 11, 2014 at 7:07 am

I am praying for her fast recovery and yes domestic abuse(nothing domestic about it)needs to stop and I can speak being a SURVIVOR of the said abuse.The emphasis now should be on the children and the mother for they will need great support for it takes a while to recover from this.To be honest I do not really feel you totally recover.Each time I read or hear of this it brings me to tears you see there will always be inner scars.

22. D Moni Clarkee
    D Moni Clarkee December 11, 2014 at 7:32 am

This is horrible. I pray she pulls thru this one. Her girls need her

23. Alleyna Brathwaite
    Alleyna Brathwaite December 11, 2014 at 7:35 am

This father is a real real old man in tru. He described to a T what he did and even what he had on. And I am glad he stepped in that night n tell that woman-slayer to leave, now that father is a real protector. I am sure if he had seen that man out there the same time he saw his daughter lying in the streets, he probably would’ve killed that man and it would have been justified. And the article says that this happened just after 7, you mean no one was around to help this lady at all? Smh, ladies, learn to defend yourselves and ask God for his everlasting protection every single day

24. Pedro M Griffith
    Pedro M Griffith December 11, 2014 at 7:38 am

Guys come on STOP hurting or LADYS

25. Cherylann Johnson December 11, 2014 at 7:50 am

I’m so upset and angry about this entire situation. It has to stop. Its not fair that as a woman I have to be afraid of my own shadow when my boyfriend and and I end our relationship….or rather I should say when I end a relationship with a man.

Men just try and stop being so controlling and walk away. How does he rationalize attacking the mother of his two children? Girl children at that?…. Tell me what will happen if a woman decides to take action before she becomes the next victim. What if the next time a man beats a woman and she kills him. Will she be charged with self defense or murder and then sent to Dodds to spend our tax payers’ money?

Listen I don’t know that family but each and everytime I hear about domestic violence it hurts me to the core.

26. Sir Dale December 11, 2014 at 8:10 am

Wish her a full and speedy recovery will pray for her and the family

27. leessaa December 11, 2014 at 8:13 am

My prayer go out to this lady and her daughters. May god be with her during this time of healing.

28. Pilar Barrow December 11, 2014 at 8:20 am

I wish Miss Ward a speedy recovery. As for those who think it is OK to attack another human being for what ever reason, I believe you all need a public Hanging. I can’t imagine how those 2 children are feeling this morning but my prayers are with the whole family. Something serious needs to be done about this domestic violence especially against women. To many women are being injuried r kill to domestic violence and this is not right. We women have rights to. This just makes mW angry when ever I see or hear something like this.

29. Movement of Concerned Citizens
    Movement of Concerned Citizens December 11, 2014 at 8:27 am

Our hearts go out to Marva Ward and her family.

30. NAKED DEPARTURE - The Trilogy Series
    NAKED DEPARTURE - The Trilogy Series December 11, 2014 at 8:36 am

Some men in Barbados treat women worse than dogs. Being a survivor myself, I know what it is to be in the streets after a vicious attack. We are all wishing her a speedy and complete recovery!

31. Brownin Nicholls
    Brownin Nicholls December 11, 2014 at 8:37 am

She is always pleasant when she comes in the store…wishing her a speedy recovery

32. Lise Hansen
    Lise Hansen December 11, 2014 at 8:39 am

a terribly sad story ……. wishing her a very speedy recovery …..

33. Olutoye Walrond December 11, 2014 at 9:37 am

What kind of animal could use a cutlas on a woman?

34. Nelly Als
    Nelly Als December 11, 2014 at 10:13 am

Men love to give but they can’t take whatever they dish out, they want to have their cake and eat it too

35. Lindsay Applewhaite December 11, 2014 at 10:32 am

I am praying Yeshua will heal her give her full recovery and take care of her children safety and peace.

36. Omar Wiggins
    Omar Wiggins December 11, 2014 at 11:33 am

It would never stop cause women known the law on their side and them take men for fools take their moneys knowing them don’t care about them

• Mandy Sealy December 12, 2014 at 4:06 pm

Money ain’t done make yet. How can you compare life to money…,bye bruuhhhhh

37. samantha hope December 11, 2014 at 2:29 pm

It hurts my heart to hear of this my prays goes out to the family and the two girls may god bless and watch over you and may Marva have a speedy recovery in Jesus name

38. S.J December 11, 2014 at 3:21 pm

What I want to know, is why the victim and her daughters name have been released but the identity of her attacker is not being publicized. However, I wish her a speedy recovery.

39. Portia Daniel December 11, 2014 at 3:27 pm

To hear something like this is always depressing. It is so sad that human beings cannot treat others as they would want to be treated. If he had only put his children before himself he would not have done this act to their mother. I pray she would recover from this… God knows it will take time to heal the scars that are not only physical but worse emotional. Something needs to be done and soon to stop domestic violence.

40. kay-rani rosita December 11, 2014 at 4:03 pm

Olutoye Walrond, you are insulting animals. He is not good enough to be any kind of animal. He is a very wicked man who didn’t care about leaving his children without their mother.

41. Maxine Baker December 11, 2014 at 5:28 pm

As women, we need to choose our partners carefully. Sometimes we find ourselves in situations that put us in a state of despair and the first person who comes along we are thankful and as long as they appear to be nice we do not remember to look closer. There are persons, including myself, who could give you a fair idea as to if you and your partner or potential partner are compatible.

I would advise persons, male and female, to consult with wise persons whenever they desire to enter a relationship with anyone so that they could be given a measure of guidance as to what kind of relationship they could enter with that person in whom they have some interest.

ON ANOTHER NOTE, as women, during this time when some of us are unemployed, we have to guard against men who will offer us a little “help” for “something”. In other words, do not allow men to bring you to the level of being a “private prostitute”. Respect yourself and men would have to respect you.

God usually provides for us but because the church has caused us to embrace the thought that we are too “sinful” to pray to God, we take on the burdens and allow ourselves to be used and disrespected by some men who, in most cases, dislike women and view us as nothing other then “private prostitutes”.

I pray that Marva will overcome this ordeal both physically and mentally. It will take a while but I will ask her to hold on to the Master tighter. NEVER LET GO. MAY HE LE HIS LIGHT SHINE AROUND YOU AS YOU LAY IN THAT BED AT THE QEH. MAY HIS ANGELS GUARD YOU AND GIVE YOU THOUGHTS OF INSPIRATION TO KEEP YOU IN TUNE WITH HIM. MAY LIGHT, LIFE AND LOVE BE WITH YOU.

42. Angela Alleyne December 11, 2014 at 5:40 pm

Men who do that to women are cowards, and to think that she is the mother of his two children, what would he have done to someone else. I am sure he would not want that for his mother or sister. My God why should he live? to do it again? I think he should be put to death. I have not heard of any women in Barbados who ever did that to a man, and men leave women when ever they want to.

43. Angie Norman December 11, 2014 at 7:06 pm

Hmmm am not please with the actions but my heart goes out to marva ward and as a work mate I do wish her a speedy recovery may the good god see u threw

44. Tony Waterman December 11, 2014 at 7:36 pm

To All who made comments on this Article !!!!! It is all well and good to give thanks that she is still alive, and to wish her well, but this is happening all too often in in Barbados, and will not stop until the WOMEN OF BARBADOS start to EXACT their pound of Flesh from these Neanderthals, whilst taking what the system will put them through for exacting their Vengence. and don’t tell me that one bad deed does not deserve another, “YES IT DOES” when you put the same fear into them as they are putting these women through, they will think twice before acting stupidly.

45. Ormond Mayers December 12, 2014 at 1:33 pm

Domestic violence would cease, when we bring back God in our lives, by embracing God’s standards of love and respect.

We have rejected God, and what wisdom do we have? The
    wisdom to do harm, treat to others as sexual objects. We have
    lost our self- identity.

We are now under the power of sin and evil, this is evident from
    the violence in the World.