News Feed

October 22, 2016 - Lashley urges innovation Minister of Culture, Youth and Spor ... +++ October 22, 2016 - Christmas Wonderland is back After a 12-year break, Simpson Moto ... +++ October 22, 2016 - Husbands wins St James South nomination Sandra Husbands has been elected th ... +++ October 22, 2016 - Burst main near Springer Memorial A crew from the Barbados Water Aut ... +++ October 22, 2016 - Helping Haiti The Help Haiti Today Radiothon, has ... +++ October 22, 2016 - St James man nursing stab wounds One woman is assisting police with ... +++

Stop the blame

Haynes calls for end to public bickering

A Barbados and West Indies cricketing legend would like to see an end to the “blame game” currently being played out between the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) and its cricketers over the recent abandoned tour of India.

Desmond Haynes, widely regarded as one of the best opening batsmen of all time, believes the time has come for all of the involved parties to band together and end the public bickering that has left the regional game in yet another crisis, and the WICB facing a massive US$42 million compensation claim from the Indian Cricket Board (BCCI).

His comments come even as the West Indies Cricket Board said in a statement yesterday that it was making progress in resolving the dispute, and revealed it had started initial talks with the BCCI.

Speaking to Barbados Today, Haynes said a resolution to the matter needed to be forthcoming.

Legendary opener Desmond Haynes wants an end to the bickering in West Indies cricket.

Legendary opener Desmond Haynes wants an end to the bickering in West Indies cricket.

“I would like to see some unity. I would like to see us get it sorted from all angles,” said Haynes.

“I would hope that we as a people would not look at a blaming game, but look at trying to find solutions.”

Amidst the current debacle, Haynes, who played 116 Tests and 238 ODI’s during a stellar 16-year career for the regional side, said he still believed West Indies cricket could return to its glory days where it was a dominant force.

However, he was quick to admit it was not something which could be done overnight, but one which required time.

“I would like to see us back on top most definitely, number one in the world . . . but it’s going to take some time,” Haynes acknowledged.

The latest West Indies cricket crisis erupted last month when players, upset by the terms of the new Collective Bargaining, walked off the tour of India in protest.

Since then, the players, their union WIPA and the WICB, along with St Vincent’s Prime Minister Ralph Gonsalves as mediator, have been locked in emergency meetings in an attempt to salvage the situation.

The WICB had been given a deadline of tomorrow by the BCCI to show how they will compensate for the abandoned tour but the regional aboard announced yesterday it had had talks with its Indian counterparts and were confident the situation would be resolved satisfactorily.

“The WICB is pleased to report that the parties are making progress with regard to the premature end to the tour of India,” the WICB said in a statement.

“President Dave Cameron met and had preliminary talks with officials from the BCCI while attending an ICC meeting in Dubai recently. The WICB has also officially responded to the letter received from the BCCI.

“The WICB remains confident that an amicable and mutually agreeable resolution can be had.”

Meanwhile, the Board also announced the terms of reference which will guide the recently announced task force, set up to investigate the circumstances that led to the abandoned tour.

The task force comprises legendary West Indies fast bowler and former WICB president, Sir Wes Hall; Michael Gordon QC who will act as chairman, and prominent Barbadian lawyer Sir Richard Cheltenham who has replaced Denis Lalor.

According to the WICB, the task force will look into reasons behind the players’ action and will “render their opinion of the degree of culpability attributed to the WICB, to the WIPA and to the players and whether the action of the players was justifiable or considered a reasonable course of action.”

The WICB said the task force will also examine the relationship between, players, WIPA and the WICB and make recommendations on “the nature and structure of the relationship between WICB and the cricketers”.

Thirdly, the board said the task force would be expected to “design and propose a fast-track dispute resolution mechanism, which would apply to ongoing tours, and give the players an expedited process through which they could ventilate any issues”, in order to avoid a repeat of the abandoned tour.

The task force will present their finds on December 13th.

Source: (RB/KIP)

2 Responses to Stop the blame

  1. Alex Alleyne November 16, 2014 at 5:01 pm

    Yes , stop the blame its time for a CHANGE from TOP to BOTTOM in WI cricket and Administration.

  2. Harry Turnover November 22, 2014 at 6:53 am

    Exactly !!,but as you know they answer to no one.,so therefore they would not get rid of themselves as long as the money sweet.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *