News Feed

October 24, 2016 - Colombians arrested and charged Police have arrested and charged tw ... +++ October 24, 2016 - Man on firearm and ammo charge Police have arrested and charged 54 ... +++ October 24, 2016 - 62-year-old St Lucy resident missing Police are seeking the assistance o ... +++ October 24, 2016 - Today’s weather A tropical wave is affecting the is ... +++ October 24, 2016 - Police probe death at Golden Ridge, St George Police are investigating the sudden ... +++ October 24, 2016 - Possible funding for NGOs The Division of Economic Affairs ha ... +++

Todds plantation is no more

As the sugar industry continues to struggle, one of the island’s plantations has sent home all of its workers.

A top management official in the sugar sector told Barbados TODAY this afternoon that Todds, one of the plantations owned by the collapsed CLICO Holdings, recently sent home its last employees.

The CLICO sugar plantations, which spread across about 2,000 acres of land, may now join several others that have gone out of cultivation.

Industry officials said that cane growers had been challenged financially due to outstanding money owned to them by Government for wages and a planting programme. The state-run Barbados Agricultural Management Company (BAMC) controls 40 per cent of the cane acrerage while private producers own the remaining 60 per cent.

One Response to Todds plantation is no more

  1. Francis McClean
    Francis McClean November 7, 2014 at 11:46 pm

    What a shame. In time to come kids won’t even know what a sugar cane looks like. It will be nostalgia talk. I wonder what culture we will have left???


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *