News Feed

October 25, 2016 - Police officer dies suddenly The Royal Barbados Police Force is ... +++ October 25, 2016 - St Peter woman arrested and charged A 26-year-old St Peter woman has be ... +++ October 25, 2016 - Vehicle overturns at Warrens Police say no injuries were reporte ... +++ October 25, 2016 - Digital direction Send and receive money digitally, e ... +++ October 25, 2016 - GG winding down school visits In a matter of weeks, once all goes ... +++ October 25, 2016 - Husbands, Walcott brilliant in Canada TORONTO, Canada – Veteran Bar ... +++

Holder mum on captaincy offer. . .

Amid reports of axing of Bravo, Sammy, Ramdin

Barbados and West Indies fast-bowling all-rounder Jason Holder today neither confirmed nor denied that he is to be the senior regional side’s next One-Day International and Twenty20 captain.

Jason Holder (FP)

Jason Holder (FP)

Unconfirmed reports on a local radio station yesterday indicated that ODI captain Dwayne Bravo, as well as Test captain Denesh Ramdin and Twenty20 skipper Darren Sammy, had been axed from his post.

The report suggested that West Indies opener and Barbados captain Kraigg Brathwaite had been made Test captain and Holder elevated to the position of skipper of the ODI and Twenty20 sides. Holder was a member of Bravo’s team on the aborted tour of India.

Asked by Barbados TODAY whether he had been approached by the WICB or the regional selectors to captain the ODI and Twenty20 sides,  Holder replied: “I honestly can’t say.”

Brathwaite is currently in Sri Lanka and could not be reached.

Today Bravo told the media in Durban, South Africa, where he is playing in the Ram Slam Twenty20 tournament for the Dolphins, that he would be leading a full strength West Indies team on the imminent tour there.

Dwayne Bravo (FP)

Dwayne Bravo (FP)

Bravo led the players’ revolt in India that resulted in the premature abandonment of the tour and a subsequent compensation claim of US$42 million from Indian cricket authorities. He was named today in the International Cricket Council’s (ICC) One-Day International Team Of The Year. During Bravo’s interview with the South African media, he said the dispute between the players and the WICB had been “all sorted out”.

“It’s all sorted out and the West Indies are going to be back playing again. As far as I know the best West Indies team will tour South Africa. Everyone is available as far as I know and we look forward to trying to give the South African boys a good run. It’s always going to be tough, but it’s good that all the matters are resolved now,” Bravo said.

But things are far from resolved, especially with the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI).

Today BCCI secretary Sanjay Patel reiterated that Indian cricket authorities would indeed be going after monetary compensation as a result of West Indies’ abandonment of the tour.

“We have sent a demand letter to the WICB claiming damages to the tune of 258 crore. We are in the process of ascertaining other damages incurred by our hosting centres, after which we will present a final claim amount.

“It is a matter of consideration for the WICB to decide as to how they will cover our damages . . . they are solely responsible for this entire episode. There has been a direct and disastrous impact [to India]. Other than the financial losses, the collateral damage that has been caused to the BCCI and its stakeholders is irreparable,” Patel insisted

There are still hopes that the International Cricket Council might be able to broker a compromise at a board meeting in Dubai next week, with a widespread expectation that WICB president Dave Cameron, who has been widely blamed for the current situation, will be forced to stand down.

BTwin a honda

ALSO If you sign up for Barbados Today before independence you could WIN a 2014 Honda City! Go here for full details

4 Responses to Holder mum on captaincy offer. . .

  1. Tony Spencer
    Tony Spencer November 5, 2014 at 10:10 pm

    Good move and strong management of team needed

  2. Philip F. Corbin
    Philip F. Corbin November 5, 2014 at 10:50 pm

    Melissa S Rollins….it’s easier to mould young men than to change older idiots

  3. Bobby Gilkes
    Bobby Gilkes November 6, 2014 at 1:39 am

    Well if the old idiots make it back in the team expect mutiny

  4. Alex Alleyne November 9, 2014 at 7:59 am

    A CLEAN SWEEP is need for WI cricket . This is the perfect time to start . Please give the Caribbean Committee on cricket the POWER to fire WICB Members and Players .


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *