News Feed

October 24, 2016 - Police probe death at Golden Ridge, St George Police are investigating the sudden ... +++ October 24, 2016 - Possible funding for NGOs The Division of Economic Affairs ha ... +++ October 23, 2016 - Barbados welcomes MV Viking Star The MV Viking Star docked for the f ... +++ October 23, 2016 - Griffith wins BLP nomination in St John   Charles Griffith will repres ... +++ October 23, 2016 - Hudson Griffith withdraws from BLP nomination for St John seat     As supporters of the ... +++ October 23, 2016 - Chelsea thrash Mourinho’s United 4-0 Source: AFP- LONDON, United Kingdom ... +++

BCCI demands US$42 million in damages from WICB

The West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) will have to cough up nearly US$42 million in order to stave off a lawsuit from the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI), stemming from the abandoned tour of India last month.

Indian authorities yesterday sent the WICB correspondence indicating that its losses as a result of the abandoned one-day and Test tour had been estimated at US$41.97 million, and gave the regional board 15 days in which to come up with a plan of compensation.

The BCCI had announced two weeks ago it would seek compensation from the WICB for losses sustained as a result of the cancelled tour, and followed through with the formal correspondence yesterday.

Media rights make up the bulk of the losses with the BCCI estimating them at just over $35 million, while ticket sales account for around $2 million and the title sponsorship from Micromax estimated at $1.6 million.

The BCCI has also factored in losses in kit sponsorship from Nike, team sponsorship, in-stadia sponsorship and stadium concessionaires, in the compensation package.

“The BCCI calls upon the WICB to formally inform the BCCI, in writing, of the steps it intends to take to compensate the BCCI towards the losses quantified above as well as those losses yet to be quantified by the BCCI in relation to the cancelled WICB tour,” said the letter, signed by BCCI secretary Sanjay Patel.

“In the event the BCCI does not receive such a proposal in acceptable terms, within a period of 15 days from receipt of this letter, please note that the BCCI has peremptorily instructed its attorneys to initiate steps for recovery of the losses by filing appropriate legal proceedings against the WICB in the appropriate Indian court and you may treat this notice as a formal demand in that regard.”

Imran Khan, the WICB’s corporate communications manager, confirmed the WICB had received the BCCI letter but opted not to comment further. (‘WICB Needs to Resolve Ties With BCCI on Priority’)

In detailing its losses, the BCCI said the cancelled tour had resulted in “adverse financial ramifications” and accused the WICB of having “complete disregard” for legal commitments.

“The consequences on the BCCI of not delivering a scheduled home tour to its members, sponsors, broadcasters and the fans are multi-fold and crippling,” the BCCI letter said.

“The BCCI is faced with huge revenue losses, a loss of reputation and is at risk of losing valuable commercial partners. The consequences of cancellation of a committed home tour during the biggest festival season.

“Diwali in India is a monumental disaster for the BCCI. It is during this season that our partners derive the most value from their rights. Our broadcaster had committed to its advertisers during this season and on account of your actions, is facing a severe crisis the effects of which are felt by the BCCI.

“The BCCI holds the WICB responsible and liable for all such consequences and intends to enforce its rights to seek compensation from the WICB to the fullest extent permissible in law,” it added.

Noting the figures outlined were “tentative and constitutes an approximation of the losses that BCCI is able to quantify at this time”, the Indian board said any other losses would be communicated to the WICB at a later date.

The BCCI also informed the WICB it was formally suspending all bilateral relations until the legal issues were resolved.

Indian authorities were furious after the West Indies players quit the tour following the fourth ODI in Dharamsala, with an ODI in Kolkata and Twenty20 in Cuttack remaining.

The three-Test tour, scheduled to bowl off October 30, was also scuppered.

The Windies players were protesting new playing contracts that they argued would have resulted in up to a 75 per cent reduction in their earnings.

12 Responses to BCCI demands US$42 million in damages from WICB

  1. Tony Webster November 1, 2014 at 12:44 pm

    Bet you (five will get you ten)… win…draw…or lose…de “lawyers” team …gine win by an innings, and US$5 ‘really-big-ones’….plus allowable expenses such as opinions, court appearances, travel, negotiating, internet fees, speaking to interested -parties at 2.00am Caribbean time , (and social inconvenience rates therefore shall apply), photocopying and FEDEX costs,..inter alia. . Did I mention travel expenses too?
    R.I.P. Windies Cricket.

  2. Derek Gale
    Derek Gale November 1, 2014 at 1:03 pm

    So are The West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) skim and is that why West Indian cricket team pulled out of India during the tour because they were not paid by The West Indies Cricket Board (WICB)? A sorry state of affairs indeed.

  3. Dick Forde
    Dick Forde November 1, 2014 at 1:06 pm

    WICB don’t pay a cent. Hopefully BCCI will back down. Idiots

  4. jr smith November 1, 2014 at 1:56 pm

    We are always behind time. jokers , Serve unna right. this is the start of the failings to come,

  5. Addison Cortlandt
    Addison Cortlandt November 1, 2014 at 2:09 pm

    Brian just wondering if you’ve seen this.

  6. jr smith November 1, 2014 at 3:57 pm

    Must further add, to India, if the opposition was ,Australia, New Zealand, South Africa or England, they wouldn’t behave is this manner. But lets see who in the West Indies , could get us out of this mess.

  7. Santini More
    Santini More November 1, 2014 at 4:11 pm

    The WICB are broke and only hold US$15 million in assets. So with this demand for a minimum of US$42 million hanging over their heads, the WICB is technically now insolvent…Well done team Windies, with special mention for Bravo who clearly has no idea about the art of negotiation, or understand the meaning of the word “consequences”.

  8. Dwayne Phillips
    Dwayne Phillips November 1, 2014 at 5:43 pm


  9. kay-rani rosita November 1, 2014 at 7:53 pm

    Jr Smith

    Is it so hard for you to say something positive about Barbados, West Indians or Black people as a whole?

  10. George Hinkson
    George Hinkson November 2, 2014 at 8:55 am

    Act like a child, get spanked like one.

  11. Marsha Peppa Fly Hinds-Layne
    Marsha Peppa Fly Hinds-Layne November 2, 2014 at 12:19 pm

    I feel no remorse for the WICB…I actually wanted the ICC to ban us…I believe it will take these kind of tactics to save WI cricket…

  12. Alex Alleyne November 8, 2014 at 8:49 am

    Where is the ICC in all this . Once mighty WI are now on its knees and the rest of the cricket world laughing at us .


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *