Family’s home torn down
Their worst nightmare became a reality today. The Stoute family of Belle Gully, St Michael watched helplessly as one of the two wooden dwellings they have called home for the last five decades was torn down this afternoon.
This has left Hallam Stoute and his 58-year-old mother, Margaret Stoute, who suffers with rheumatoid arthritis, searching for somewhere to rest their heads tonight.
A demolition crew, accompanied by court marshalls, started the process around noon, just three days after the family was officially notified by the landowner to remove their houses by today.
When a team from Barbados TODAY visited the district around 8:30 a.m., members of the Stoute household could be seen removing personal effects from the house.
Also on the scene was the parliamentary representative for the area, Trevor Prescod, who was seen speaking with visibly upset members of the household.
Reports indicated that the Stoutes were given until April 29, 2013 to vacate the spot after which the landlord ceased taking the $300 per annum rent from them.
The other two-bedroom home occupied by Hallam’s uncle Jeffery was left standing, but it was unclear for how long.
Jeffery told Barbados TODAY that he had already removed all of his personal possessions from the house in anticipation of the pending demolition.
Hallam also said while the family was not opposed to moving the houses, they were not given adequate notice.
ALSO If you sign up for Barbados Today before independence you could WIN a 2014 Honda City! Go here for full details http://bit.ly/1oCHnej.