October 24, 2016 - Colombians arrested and charged Police have arrested and charged tw ... +++ October 24, 2016 - Man on firearm and ammo charge Police have arrested and charged 54 ... +++ October 24, 2016 - 62-year-old St Lucy resident missing Police are seeking the assistance o ... +++ October 24, 2016 - Today’s weather A tropical wave is affecting the is ... +++ October 24, 2016 - Police probe death at Golden Ridge, St George Police are investigating the sudden ... +++ October 24, 2016 - Possible funding for NGOs The Division of Economic Affairs ha ... +++

Inniss attacks the unions

First he launched a frontal attack on the University of the West Indies (UWI), now Minister of Industry Donville Inniss is taking on the country’s trade unions.

He has charged that unions are “getting away with too much foolishness for too long” and it is time to stop being afraid of them.

Minister of Industry Donville Inniss

Minister of Industry Donville Inniss

“The unions will rant and rave; they will make a lot of threats, they tell you they [are] going to strike here and strike there. You know the unions have not done a good job of managing their affairs and want to tell everybody else how to manage their own?”

Inniss, who was addressing a St James South constituency branch meeting at the weekend, made specific reference to threatened industrial action at the Barbados Community College.

The protest was called off last Friday by the National Union of Public Workers (NUPW).

General secretary of the NUPW Dennis Clarke said a meeting had been planned for tomorrow morning at the Howell’s Cross Road institution.

However, Minister Inniss said his position on unions was simple.

“I am not afraid of the unions and sometimes you have to say to them ‘boss, if you want to strike, you strike’. At some point in time they’re going to go back to work or you can find other people to do the work.”

During the same constituency branch meeting, the minister hit out at the administration of UWI, particularly those at the Cave Hill Campus, charging that it was doing a poor job of managing its finances.

He said he would not support Government giving any more money to the university until it could explain its “exponential” increase in costs.

19 Responses to Inniss attacks the unions

1. Derwood Ricardo
    Derwood Ricardo October 15, 2014 at 8:43 am

For once I agree with him

2. Ryan Henry
    Ryan Henry October 15, 2014 at 8:55 am

These so called useless politicians forget they are suppose to answer to us. And if they do strike its gonna be a different story, if they ever see another term in office I’ll eat my shoes, arrogant much!!

3. Miguel Carlos Jose Humphrey
    Miguel Carlos Jose Humphrey October 15, 2014 at 9:06 am

Isnt it Sad that the N.U.P.W has to threaten strike action for the said people in charge of the company they are trying to get a meeting with just ignore them constantly, so before you call the kettle black and point fingers, who’s really not in order now ?

4. Ryan Bayne
    Ryan Bayne October 15, 2014 at 9:25 am

5. Ryan Henry
    Ryan Henry October 15, 2014 at 9:28 am

Dem treat every one of the unions wid distaste and disdain from day one as if they never mattered. Especially the NUPW, and it was all clear from the retrenchment program their level of respect towards the unions. That man can vent his mouth but the day the unions actually flex the muscle they have Dem go realise their place.

6. Bobby Gilkes
    Bobby Gilkes October 15, 2014 at 9:29 am

Ryan you got a special dressing that you eating that shoe wid lol

7. Ryan Henry
    Ryan Henry October 15, 2014 at 9:33 am

Bobby, just pure hot sauce but I sure that I don’t have to touch it Lol. I will admit I was one of the unfortunate ones to help them back in its only after I realise what they’re about that the time I took to do that the time would have spent better trying to eat the shoes then

8. Bobby Gilkes
    Bobby Gilkes October 15, 2014 at 9:36 am

On a serious note I’m realizing that certain politicians seem to be giving their mouth alot of liberty I hope they dont make themselves look like idiots in the end

9. Ryan Henry
    Ryan Henry October 15, 2014 at 9:39 am

That’s the part that really makes me frustrated, how can a public figure(the whole lot) threaten and bully everyone who doesn’t conform to their twisted views on what ever they deem as right and its only Dem that can’t see the level of their incompetence.

10. Beverley Headley
    Beverley Headley October 15, 2014 at 9:55 am

The unions need to stop threatening and shut down Barbados for as long as it takes DEM to get out of office-the problem is that Bajans talk too much and refuse to take action,that is why these fools think they can open their mouths and out jump crap whenever they feel like it, but if the people get serious and pick-it parliament for as long as it takes to accomplish then they would not be so darn arrogant. He was the same fool that said Bajans was or are “tolerant” so they da and talk they crap and we tolerate it-i will be the first with my placard, but I can’t do it alone.

11. Darren Garrett
    Darren Garrett October 15, 2014 at 10:33 am

The unions need to stop threatening to strike and actually do it, this pattern of canceling the strike because you get a meeting with someone is nonsense

12. Dan Vaughn
    Dan Vaughn October 15, 2014 at 10:36 am

Unions only interested in takin ur money nothin else

13. John Nicholls
    John Nicholls October 15, 2014 at 10:49 am

Well he knows why he can say these things. The unions under this administration are useless. They are just hot air and he knows it . But at least you know his thoughts.

14. Rawle Maycock
    Rawle Maycock October 15, 2014 at 12:25 pm

Is he lying?

15. Rawle Maycock
    Rawle Maycock October 15, 2014 at 12:26 pm

Ain’t lying.

16. Cheryl A Rollins
    Cheryl A Rollins October 15, 2014 at 1:20 pm

Mr Minister with all due respect stay out of the media and stop contradicting yourself! This is the formula I have come up with TRADE UNIONS + DLP = ALL ISSUES RELATED TO EMPLOYMENT!

17. Jackie Charm Clarke
    Jackie Charm Clarke October 15, 2014 at 2:49 pm

He have reasons for say that, I hope the union take note and make him eat his words.

18. Rommel Jordan
    Rommel Jordan October 15, 2014 at 5:30 pm

look ho talking evil talking wow

19. Wizzie Sealy-Inniss October 16, 2014 at 9:37 am

Well we will get vex with Innis for saying what he has said, but it is true the Unions of Barbados has been allowed to get away with a lot of foolishness. If the same union who has too much ties to the same party would do what our money is being paid to them to do Inniss tail would have been out to pasture. I was a member with the NUPW and I dropped out because they are a waste of my time. in this Country big birds fly with big birds and small birds with small birds and if you are a bird and you do not have wings to fly, you will remain wingless until the day you died. I was a shop steward with the NUPW and I can not recall one good moment with them, so Inniss is right they have been getting away with foolishness for to long. The union of today forget that the workers are paying them to represent them. What the union are doing is meeting in the board room with their friends and wasting a lot of time and then coming tell it workers crop. I am not a member with Caswell, but any time I am ready to join a union it will be His union, because for the twelve plus years I have been with the Nupw, Caswell was the most straight forward person out of every one of them. Caswell was loved by most of the members because he act like one of us and we saw him being for us . Like some one say in their statement, we Bajan just talk too much, if these unions are not doing for you what you are paying them to do drop to France out. The two unions in Barbados BWU and the NUPW has lived out their time, it is time for a change. out with the old and bring in the new.