NFL boss says he ‘got it wrong’ on domestic violence
The National Football League boss has said he “got it wrong” in dealing with the violence scandals that have plagued the American football league.
In his first public statement in a week, Roger Goodell apologised for his mistakes and pledged to implement new personal conduct policies.
“We strongly condemn and will punish behaviour that is totally unacceptable,” he said.
He has faced calls to resign after a series of assaults involving players.
But the commissioner said on Friday he had not considered stepping down and that he had the support of the team owners.
“We will get our house in order,” he said at a press conference in New York.
Goodell announced the NFL plans to set up a new personal conduct committee and draft new rules for the league’s players and staff, which he hoped would be in place for the Super Bowl in early 2015.
The NFL, and Goodell in particular, have been criticised over their handling of an abuse case involving running back Ray Rice from the Baltimore Ravens.
Goodell initially banned Rice for two games after video emerged of him punching his then-fiancee in the face and knocking her out in a lift in Atlantic City in February.
It was only after the video was posted online in August that Rice was cut by the Ravens and banned from the league indefinitely by Goodell.
“I got it wrong in the handling of the Ray Rice matter,” he said yesterday.
“But now I will get it right and do whatever is necessary to accomplish that.”
The NFL has also come under fire for its handling of other abuse cases, including Minnesota Vikings running back Adrian Peterson, who has been charged with child abuse in Texas after allegedly whipping his four-year-old son.
In recent days, some NFL sponsors have made public statements urging it to do more to address the issue.
On Friday, Procter & Gamble announced it was dropping an on-field breast cancer awareness promotion it had been planning with the NFL. (BBC)