October 22, 2016 - Teen remanded Eighteen-year-old Adam Harris of En ... +++ October 22, 2016 - St Michael man on firearms, ammunition charges St Michael resident, Jeffrey Willia ... +++ October 22, 2016 - Police probe Wildey fire Police are investigating a fire whi ... +++ October 22, 2016 - Intrigue among Barbados Pride With the start of the 2016-17 West ... +++ October 22, 2016 - Water hope Relief could soon be on the way for ... +++ October 22, 2016 - Priest supports ban on religious teaching in schools An outspoken Anglican cleric is sup ... +++

Family destroyed

Victim gunned down in front of son

Yesterday morning, Danielle Brathwaite was in the process of planning the 32nd birthday party for her boyfriend Neipaul Trotman.

Hours later, she had to rush him to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital (QEH) after he was shot multiple times on the beach at Fitts Village, St James – just a stone’s throw from their home – in full view of his two-year-old son.

By the end of the night, she was without her partner and best friend.

Neipaul Trotman (centre), his girlfriend Danielle Brathwaite and son Neikobe Trotman in happier times.

Sitting on the steps of the home the couple shared with their toddler son Neikobe Trotman, 27-year-old Brathwaite spoke to Barbados TODAY about the fairy tale of their life which she said ended brutally and abruptly.

Periodically stopping to shed a few tears, she described outside as bright and sunny as the family spent time on the beach, taking advantage of their son being home on a two-week break from nursery. Brathwaite said she returned home to get her phone and was there for less than five minutes before she heard a sound pierce the air and initially thought that it was a blown jet ski tyre.

But then she heard the same sound again, triggering an alarm in her head and causing her to rush outside.

“When I run outside I saw everybody scampering like something happened and the only two people that I was concerned about [were] my son and my boyfriend,” she said as she held her head, rocking her body.

After taking a few seconds to compose herself, a teary-eyed Brathwaite continued: “I was looking to see where he [Neipaul] is. I looked and I looked and I saw him on the ground sitting down holding he stomach.”

Her son, meantime, was safe in the arms of a man who was on the beach.

After seeing that horrific sight and the pain etched on her boyfriend’s face, she rushed back to the house to collect her car keys, went to the car, reversed as close as possible to the scene and asked some of the spectators to help her lift him into the vehicle so that she could make her way to the hospital.

“On my way I was praying and trying to talk to he so that he wouldn’t drift off. I was studying that he always saying he don’t want to leave he son. I was saying to myself that he ain’t gine dead, he is a fighter, he ain’t gine dead. When he get to the hospital he was just like ‘where part Dani [his pet name for her]?’ and he was just screaming my name.”

The hairdresser, who operates a salon attached to her house, said what angered her as a mother and a human being was hearing her child recounting what he had witnessed.

“He was like ‘Mummy, a man shoot my daddy and he drop. My daddy dead; I can’t get a different daddy. I can’t get no new daddy.’ But you know my son ain’t like the average two-year-old; he is very advanced. So last night I was crying very badly and I was saying that I ain’t got nobody now. And you know what my son told me? He said ‘mummy you got me’,” she said as she lowered her head.

Danielle said that the deceased, who was a water sports operator, was the breadwinner and always ensured that his family was provided for. She said they were together from the time she was 16-years-old and would have been celebrating their 11th anniversary as a couple next February.

“We were together for years and we had hard times and we come on top together . . . He was doing things for himself and I was doing things for myself and people does hate on you for that. We fought hard to get a baby and now he gone,” she said.

And according to Danielle, Trotman would have been pleased with the birthday party she was planning for him as she intended to do her best to make it as close as possible to perfect.

“Paulie birthday was the 21st of this month and I was planning a surprise birthday for him. I was now looking at getting the venue and buying things. He didn’t know but he would have loved it because anything I did for him was well done,” she said.

The ordeal is one that the emotionally-wrecked Danielle said she would never forget, especially the last moments she spent with him before he died.

“I lay down to the bottom of the bed touching and touching and talking and talking until his heart stopped.”

Just last month, Neipaul lost a close friend who also died tragically.

facebook 1200x1200 copy
ALSO If you sign up for Barbados Today before independence you could WIN a 2014 Honda City! Go here for full details

44 Responses to Family destroyed

1. Uadoremi Hinds
    Uadoremi Hinds September 11, 2014 at 11:47 pm

Wow; my condolences go out to her and her family… sighh soo sad

2. Sasha King
    Sasha King September 12, 2014 at 12:07 am

This story brought me to tears. So tragic… so sad. My heart breaks for you Danielle, be strong. This life…SMH

3. Ernest T Moona
    Ernest T Moona September 12, 2014 at 12:22 am

she`s paying for what her mother cathy and kobia did to people , rip.

4. Sonja Eastmond
    Sonja Eastmond September 12, 2014 at 12:27 am

Lol Ernest ya bad r.I.p Pauly

5. Abigail Wickham
    Abigail Wickham September 12, 2014 at 12:32 am

So very sad

6. Shanny Livingmylifetothefullest Chandler
    Shanny Livingmylifetothefullest Chandler September 12, 2014 at 12:35 am

So sad

7. Shauntelle Best
    Shauntelle Best September 12, 2014 at 12:43 am

this made me cry like a baby,God we need your divine intervention.Visit this nation,ENOUGH IS ENOUGH

8. Fiona Griffith
    Fiona Griffith September 12, 2014 at 1:16 am

This is so sad, I pray for protection over my country

9. Barbados Soft Dart Shooting Gallery
    Barbados Soft Dart Shooting Gallery September 12, 2014 at 1:28 am

10. John-What Ever
    John-What Ever September 12, 2014 at 3:13 am

A shooting a day, keeps the tourists away ! how many more people will be shot before the end of the month ! and the Barbados Police force parade around telling everyone its a safe place to go on holiday, dont forget to pack u cutlas for protection !

• Veroniva Boyce
      Veroniva Boyce September 12, 2014 at 10:47 am

Never mind Europe or USA they have the resources to help themselves. What has Barbados got? We love Barbados and is very concern that a few mindless morons are giving Lil Bim a bad name. This nonsense have to stop. What is frightening the government is sleeping whilst this gun crime is increasing.

• Sharon Woolley
      Sharon Woolley September 12, 2014 at 2:26 pm

true there is crime worldwide, it’s just tourists do not expect these continual shootings on an island that was always so safe, tourism is a major income for the island and these shootings will finish off tourism, vacations are expensive and people will opt for a safer destination, vacations are for relaxing not worrying that you might be sat next to someone who gets shot beside you on a beach

11. Poetry Dancer
    Poetry Dancer September 12, 2014 at 3:27 am

So sad

12. Lise Hansen
    Lise Hansen September 12, 2014 at 3:46 am

madness …… how can people behave like that? I feel so terribly sorry for poor Danielle and for her little boy ….. Hope that they in time will be able to get on with their lives ….. somehow ….. <3

13. Angela Thompson Branch
    Angela Thompson Branch September 12, 2014 at 5:19 am

Tears for you and the little one ,may God give you the strength to carry on.

14. Angela Thompson Branch
    Angela Thompson Branch September 12, 2014 at 5:19 am

Tears for you and the little one ,may God give you the strength to carry on.

15. Jodi Moosberger-Springer
    Jodi Moosberger-Springer September 12, 2014 at 5:41 am

So so sad. My heart is with you!!! Blessing to you an your son!

16. Lady-Stylez Pilgrim
    Lady-Stylez Pilgrim September 12, 2014 at 6:15 am

Wow this made me shed a few tears….. As I know neither all I can do is give my condolences.. That was tooo horrifying for that toddler…too much…. Something wrong with this society!!!!

17. Marcus Skeete
    Marcus Skeete September 12, 2014 at 6:16 am

This just made my eyes water, my condolences go out to you Danielle, your son and his family and friends. This time will be extremely hard to cope but be strong for you and your son. You both will need each other. 🙁 🙁 🙁

18. Kyla Danis
    Kyla Danis September 12, 2014 at 6:16 am

My deepest sympathies to this family.

19. Angel Blossoms
    Angel Blossoms September 12, 2014 at 6:36 am

My deepest condolence to her and family.Take everything to God in pray .

20. Tamisha Superfly Dangler
    Tamisha Superfly Dangler September 12, 2014 at 6:38 am

This ridiculous act of killing must stop! So sorry for your loss, you and your baby must be strong! To God be the Glory!

21. Tamisha Superfly Dangler
    Tamisha Superfly Dangler September 12, 2014 at 6:38 am

22. Miche
    Miche'LoyalOne Donttakemyniceness Forweakness September 12, 2014 at 6:54 am

Mercy Lord, Give her strength. Amen.

23. Stacey Harris
    Stacey Harris September 12, 2014 at 7:37 am

When the person tht did dis get hold he wnt beheading str8…. Kill a man in front he son… An den go jail and eat out d taxpayers money….. Behead he…

24. Nicole Jordan
    Nicole Jordan September 12, 2014 at 8:02 am

So sad, my condolences goes out to you and your son and family, may God be with you in this time of mourning

25. Victoria Lily
    Victoria Lily September 12, 2014 at 8:17 am

“He was like ‘Mummy, a man shoot my daddy and he drop. My daddy dead; I can’t get a different daddy. I can’t get no new daddy.’ These are words I will never want to hear from my sons… Condolences to the family!

26. Jay Nisha Alleyne
    Jay Nisha Alleyne September 12, 2014 at 8:31 am

People so dread why kill d man in d presence of his son?danni ur son being strong for u so b strong his shoulder to lean on…may pauly soul rest in peace

27. Mhizz Lucious Boo
    Mhizz Lucious Boo September 12, 2014 at 8:35 am

This is so sad almost make me cry and to no boy dad get shoot rite in front him an he’s jus repeat in my dad get shoot from a guy so sad how can this person be so cold hearted it hurts rip to u an family ino your feel in

28. Janice Linton
    Janice Linton September 12, 2014 at 8:50 am

Tears, tears just fall from my eyes! Pray that mummy and son will have the strength to carry on!

29. Priscilla Patterson
    Priscilla Patterson September 12, 2014 at 10:20 am

That is so sad

30. ZEN Bookstore
    ZEN Bookstore September 12, 2014 at 10:36 am

sincere condolences to his family.

31. Veroniva Boyce
    Veroniva Boyce September 12, 2014 at 10:48 am

Very sad, very sad indeed.

32. Devon September 12, 2014 at 11:12 am

The country needs more cops patrolling especially on bank holidays. They also need to stop emphasizing on drugs n deal with the illegal fire arm situation.

33. jr smith September 12, 2014 at 11:50 am

People ,people , what do you all expect, 300 years of slavery, no one was there for us, the only real answer ,bajans and the Barbados police, we must all work together, to swat the little vermin like flies.
    Crimes are being committed, so easy ,so frequent, who is the conspirators. its all too easy.

34. Sharon Yundai
    Sharon Yundai September 12, 2014 at 12:00 pm sad

35. odessa September 12, 2014 at 1:02 pm

pray that God give her the strength.may his soul rest in peace……

36. alphe brathwaite September 12, 2014 at 1:08 pm

I had to shed a tear so sad for his son and girlfriend ..May he R I P

37. alphe brathwaite September 12, 2014 at 1:18 pm

This was very horrible in front of his two year son…

38. Kris B September 12, 2014 at 2:42 pm

My God…. What is going on in Bim. My deepest condolences go out to this family and all others suffering losses to the mindless violence. It MUST stop.

39. Tia Alleyne
    Tia Alleyne September 12, 2014 at 3:13 pm

R.I.P Paully We All Miss Yu !!

40. Donna Anthony
    Donna Anthony September 12, 2014 at 4:31 pm

Hang lose baby u still have a part of him with u

41. Geoquip September 12, 2014 at 7:57 pm

Hmm,Bim is sad,you can get shot anywhere,beach,boat,the Gap,anywhere..Totally different dynamics than T&T and Jamaica. Stop comparing and try to nip this in the bud,else Bim dead.

As a Trini I would think twice about coming at this time,much safer in most areas at home.

Seems like anyone can get killed anywhere in Bim for anything.

Sad,ya’ll got work to do!

42. Koegler Bruno September 13, 2014 at 8:24 pm

Each day somebody get shot ??? Abnout 400 / year for such a small nation ? In all those comments, nor in the article, nothing about who and why this might happenned, or is killing as common now as playing cards ???