News Feed

October 26, 2016 - Government has run out of options – Arthur Government’s fiscal policy is inf ... +++ October 26, 2016 - Sick airline A top official of regional airline ... +++ October 26, 2016 - Teachers back away from court threat The Barbados Union of Teachers (BUT ... +++ October 26, 2016 - Beacon supports regulatory move Beacon Insurance Company is giving ... +++ October 26, 2016 - Challenge series returns Sunday Suzuki Challenge Series (SCS) point ... +++ October 26, 2016 - Waste to energy still alive – Lowe The Cahill project might be a thing ... +++

Matter fixed

BCA says there should be no more issues for VIPS

Cricketing legends and other VIPs can now expect better treatment from officials at Kensington Oval than what was afforded Desmond Haynes last March.

This follows the completed investigation into an incident at the Oval where Haynes was denied entry by a security guard into a box designated for Barbadian cricketers who have played for the West Indies. The slight was then followed by less-than-prudent comments from senior officials of the Barbados Cricket Association (BCA).

In an interview this afternoon with Barbados TODAY newly appointed chief executive office of the BCA, Jefferson Miller, said that the investigative report into the incident had been included at the board’s annual general meeting held on July 31 and a copy of the findings had been given to Haynes and the Cricket Legends of Barbados Inc. He said the correspondence delivered to Haynes and CLOBI was accompanied by a letter signed by him. Miller did not divulge the findings contained in the report.

However, he did disclose that a number of recommendations from the report were used to ensure smooth entry for VIPs and board members during the second Test between the West Indies and New Zealand held at Kensington Oval two months ago.

“We have established a separate entrance or gate for VIPS and members of the board with clear signage showing where they are to enter. This worked very well during the Test match. In addition several members of the BCA who knew our past cricketers were manning the gates. Because of these new measures there were no problems at the gates for our past Test cricketers,” Miller said.

But at least one senior member of the BCA’s board of management who spoke to Barbados TODAY on condition of anonymity, said he was very disappointed that during the recently held 12th Special Meeting of members of the body which governs cricket on the island, that the report of the investigation conducted by an attorney-at-law into the incident involving Haynes was not discussed among members. That meeting was convened at Kensington Oval on August 14.

“I think it is a sad reflection on the general membership of the BCA that no one asked at the Special Meeting about the results of the investigations into the incident involving Desmond Haynes at Kensington Oval earlier this year,” the board member told Barbados TODAY.

“This is an incident involving one of our past great cricketers  and I thought that the membership would have wanted to know the outcome of the investigations,” he said.

The veteran administrator stated that a lawyer who is a former member of the BCA’s board conducted the investigations, and he queried the manner the investigator was selected.

“The board was told that an investigation was going to be conducted into the incident but we were not told until later who the investigator was,” the board member said.

He pointed out that both the public and the members of the BCA were kept in the dark over the name of the person selected to conduct the investigation.

The source stressed that if the membership of the BCA were not prepared to ask searching questions about the management of the body, the problems within the organisation would not be corrected.

Earlier in the year the then acting chief executive officer of the BCA, Rollins Howard, in a press release had stated that the BCA officially apologized  to Haynes over the incident.

This apology came after another BCA official had stated in March that had it been National Hero Sir Garfield Sobers who had sought entry, he too would have had to queue with the rest of the patrons.

Following the incident Haynes, one of the greatest opening batsmen to have played for the West Indies, had threatened that he would be seeking legal assistance in having his title removed from the Greenidge and Haynes Stand named in his honour and that of fellow Barbados and West Indies batting legend Gordon Greenidge.

Meanwhile, former vice-president Conde Riley has been re-elected to the board of management for a two-year period. Riley lost his position on the board last year when he contested the post of president against Joel Garner.

At that time Riley said a number of factors had influenced his decision to run for the post.

“A number of board decisions have not been carried out. That goes against the grain of good corporate governance. Board decisions cannot be changed without subsequent approval of the board. I don’t like being part of things like that,” Riley said at the time.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *