October 22, 2016 - Lashley urges innovation Minister of Culture, Youth and Spor ... +++ October 22, 2016 - Christmas Wonderland is back After a 12-year break, Simpson Moto ... +++ October 22, 2016 - Husbands wins St James South nomination Sandra Husbands has been elected th ... +++ October 22, 2016 - Burst main near Springer Memorial A crew from the Barbados Water Aut ... +++ October 22, 2016 - Helping Haiti The Help Haiti Today Radiothon, has ... +++ October 22, 2016 - St James man nursing stab wounds One woman is assisting police with ... +++

Shot . . . again

Murder victim gunned down twice

Two months ago Markley Williams was shot two times, but he survived, although with a paralyzed left hand.

Murder victim Markley Williams

Murder victim Markley Williams

Last night he was shot multiple times about the body by an unknown assailant, becoming Barbados’ 19th murder victim for the year. Lawmen are now on the hunt for the person responsible for fatally shooting him as he walked near his McClean Gap, Silver Sands residence around 9 p.m.

His death also marked the second son Catherine Williams lost in just over a decade. Eleven years ago, her firstborn son died while in police custody.

In an interview with Barbados TODAY this afternoon, as she sat in the patio of the home which she had shared with her 40-year-old son, Catherine admitted that Markley could get hot headed when angry but he was “a very alright son” who was always willing and ready to provide her with anything she needed.

Recalling the hours leading up to his death, Catherine said that before Markley left home yesterday morning he asked her for $5 and at the time she inquired if he was coming back home soon to which he responded in the affirmative.

As evening approached, Catherine called Markley again to ask if he wanted something to eat and she prepared a meal before drifting off to sleep.

“About the next 20 minutes I call he back and he tell me he on Silver Sands corner. I say ‘you aint coming home?’ He tell me he going to football [and] I always tell he be careful because I know people don’t like him you know. People do not like this family on the whole then. Next couple minutes my phone ring and it was my sister son call me and tell me ‘Catherine I got bad news for you, Markley now get shoot’. I come out the house and beg a fella to come and drop me down the road and when I get down there I say I know there ain’t no coming back for he,” she said.

“When I get there a lot of people surrounded him and my sister son was trying to tie down he foot from bleeding.”

As she rehashed the scene with clarity, as though it was unfolding before her eyes, Catherine said she looked on hopelessly as others attempted to stop the bleeding.

“What I could have done? All I could have done was go and look at he. But when I see he I know that it didn’t no coming back because I know about death. When the ambulance get there I told them I going because I is he mother.

“He heart stop about three times before we get to the hospital. The ambulance attendant tried to revive he but he ain’t make it to surgery because he was bleeding so bad and even the blood that them give he didn’t help.”

Catherine said she was holding on to her belief that her son, a father of a two-year-old daughter and four-year-old son, was an innocent victim.

“I know my children and you got to interfere with them first,” she insisted, adding that she believed last night’s incident was a follow-up to the shooting two months ago which left Markley’s hand paralyzed.

“The way how them shoot he the first time them intention was to kill he so them went back and finish he last night. But by the help of God’s grace them got to hold somebody for my child’s death.”

Catherine said she was deeply wounded and did not know if her aching heart would ever heal.

“You may doubt me but I haven’t slept yet. I just get up this morning, make lil tea and take two pressure tablets. It hard, it real hard. This is so hard on me,” she said.

11 Responses to Shot . . . again

1. Carib Digita
    Carib Digita August 20, 2014 at 10:43 pm

Almost 20 in almost 9 months. That’s ~ 2 murders a month in Barbados.

2. Raymond Jones
    Raymond Jones August 20, 2014 at 11:54 pm

Having mercy for him is a waste of time, u live by the gun u die buy the gun. Every mother like to think their son don’t get involved in bad boy behavior but when the police got them or they end up in a body bag they does have to hold them belly and bawl not my son. Sad situation that will repeat itself with another mother, stay tune.

• Poca August 25, 2014 at 11:31 am

People feel they can take the lives of others, bring pain and grief to innocent, young, children, mothers, grandmothers, etc; and get away with it – well, this proves they cannot. It may take years, but, their eventually comes – as in the case of this murderer.

3. Sharon Woolley
    Sharon Woolley August 21, 2014 at 1:23 am

Employ more people at the airport, and at the port and find out where the hell all these guns are coming from, if need be xray every item of luggage and every package entering the country, if need be every person too, search every private boat that arrives, it will give employment to several people and make the island safer for everyone

4. Janet Beynon Chilcott
    Janet Beynon Chilcott August 21, 2014 at 2:39 am

If this continues …no tourists will visit .

5. jr smith August 21, 2014 at 6:32 am

We need a decent police force,not one with senior officers behaving like school children.
    We need a serious stop and search policy. we know lots of people is against this , but criminals are always ready to commit crimes. I wonder who is running barbados, please tell me anyone.

6. Rastabeauty Daffodil
    Rastabeauty Daffodil August 21, 2014 at 7:30 am

Find his killer

7. Destiny August 21, 2014 at 11:07 am

So you live so shall you die .It is just a shame that our black men are killing each other .Parents need to stop telling lies and train the children in the way they should go . Many were deviant before the so called economic crisis . You say you love your children t from day one show that you really love them by guiding them .When they grow older love them but discipline them .Dont be with this” lil man talk “and all that they are children .Let children be children , in dress , behaviour and actions..Set the right examples .If you find you cannot discipline them seek the relevant institutions to assist them .Stop blaming the school the church and the white man .Help is there for you and them .”He was a good boy , BUT . No way!.You can’t be wrong and right too.

8. brewster August 22, 2014 at 7:29 am

BIM wants to break its ties with the UK although it is clear that you need clear guidance on policing, security and judicial issues. Don’t be hasty and disrespectful to the British that have always been there for you. The further away you are the worse it is getting. You need our assistance. By the way I am British of bajan descent.

• Sue Donym August 22, 2014 at 9:29 am

Horse feathers, @brewster. But I suppose that’s to be expected when one gets on the colonial high horse. An article on violent crime and all you could muster was ‘behave yourselves and pay deference to the mother country’?

We could all benefit from sharing detection, deterrent and protection methods, but there is no proof that Britain is leading in law enforcement. Football riots; Lee Rigby killing; British bred ISIS terrorists – any bells ringing as loud as Big Ben?

9. Alex 3 August 27, 2014 at 10:32 am

This comes as no surprise to me given recent news about another murder.
    When the courts release an accused of murder on bail and when he kills again the officer escorting him from court to Dodd’s does not even cuff him, you cannot be surprised this poor soul was shot again, most likely by the same shooter.