News Feed

October 23, 2016 - Barbados welcomes MV Viking Star The MV Viking Star docked for the f ... +++ October 23, 2016 - Griffith wins BLP nomination in St John   Charles Griffith will repres ... +++ October 23, 2016 - Hudson Griffith withdraws from BLP nomination for St John seat     As supporters of the ... +++ October 23, 2016 - Chelsea thrash Mourinho’s United 4-0 Source: AFP- LONDON, United Kingdom ... +++ October 23, 2016 - Relief on the way, says BWA The Barbados Water Authority (BWA) ... +++ October 23, 2016 - SSA board could face legal action, Comissiong warns Outspoken social activist and attor ... +++

Rescue plan

Three hotel brands want stake in Sam Lord’s, says Sealy

Government is pumping $200 million into transforming the now derelict Sam Lord’s Castle into a 450-room resort that should be ready for its first guests by 2018.

And with it could come almost 1,000 news jobs, Minister of Tourism Richard Sealy said today as he disclosed that three hotel brands already want the shot at running the facility when it is completed.

Sealy delivered the news in Parliament where he also said the Barbados Tourism Investment Inc. has already signed a Memorandum of Understanding with the China National Complete Plant Import and Export Corporation Limited for the construction, with the funds coming from the Export-Import Bank of China.

“The funds were previously allocated for the Almond site . . . The Government was originally taking the lead there but we were in a position, through some negotiation, to have what was allocated for Almond shifted over to Sam Lord’s because, as you know, the developer . . . basically decided to kick in and take ownership of it a little earlier,” he told his colleagues in the House of Assembly, referring to the decision by Sandals to take over the former Almond Beach Village property in Heywoods, St Peter to develop it into a Beaches Resort.

“All things being equal, we think that with the Town Planning permission in place, the geotechnical studies having been done, there is no reason why mid-2015 we should not be able to get a start on this project and it is figured it should take about 30 months to complete,” Sealy added as he moved a resolution to approve the compulsory acquisition of just over 58 acres of land at Sam Lord’s Castle.

He added that once the family-oriented resort with the state-of-the-art conference facility was completed, the Freundel Stuart administration would hand over management of the property to a professional hotel operator.

“Three brands have already shown an interest in running that Sam Lord’s site,” Sealy added.

Although not disclosing the brands, he said: “One of those three brands has been in Barbados before and that says a lot about someone leaving and wanting to come back.”

“We are using the exact model that we used with Almond. It worked with Almond. We went in with an exit strategy; we went in with a clear understanding that Government does not want to run any hotels . . . The first thing you have to have is an exit strategy. We had one with Almond and as it turned out it worked so well, it was brought forward before project even started.”

Sealy reported that some US$10.6 million from that deal, in which Sandals paid $53 million for a property Government acquired for $50 million, had already been deposited at the Central Bank as part payment.

“We are not profiteering .  .  . The partners agreed to intervene earlier and, in essence, this paves the way for what we’re doing here today.”

The historic Sam Lord’s Castle, which was once owned by Grant Hotels Inc., has fallen into a “seriously advanced state of disrepair”, pointed out Sealy.

He said if something was not urgently done, the property and its potential could be lost.

The minister said taking advantage of the Sam Lord’s property was critical for Barbados’ tourism product, as he admitted that successive governments had not given the issue of room stock the attention that it deserves.

Noting that there has been little growth since 1980, with the number of available rooms in the island stagnating around 7,000, Sealy said: “When we talk about tourism, the first thing we can jump up and speak about is marketing budgets and advertising and so on, but capacity is important.”

“Had we been a little more focused on increasing room stock, we would probably be better off now,” he added, noting that the Sam Lord’s Castle plan would be a lynchpin in efforts to increase the number of rooms available for visitors to the island.

At the same time, the minister chastised some hoteliers for contributing to the problem.

He said their failure to keep their properties up to scratch was contributing to a decline in the existing stock.

“If you look at what has happened, or what has exacerbated the problem . . . a number of the rooms in Barbados are not really up to the mark and in dire need of refurbishment. An initial investigation showed that we have over 1,000 rooms that are idle, that are not in circulation,” Sealy pointed out.

“You look at the hotels that are doing well. It is the ones that have invested, the ones that have built their product up, [that] are doing very, very well. If you look at the ones that are not doing well, it is the ones who have gotten a little lazy in that department.

“The private sector has to accept it needs to invest in its plant and stop the blame game, as I call it,” Sealy stressed. 


5 Responses to Rescue plan

  1. Veroniva Boyce
    Veroniva Boyce August 6, 2014 at 4:18 am

    There are some colourful small houses empty for the last three years. Who give planning permission to build these houses without no shopping facilities and decent bus service? What planet were they on? A waste of money! Starting projects and taking a life time to see the job through to the end.The properties should be sold/rent at a reasonable price or raffle them off to the citizens. Barbados have enough hotels no more required. There are empty properties around the iysland some need knocking down others can be refurbish which will help get the skilled people back to work.Warning do not rely on tourism work the land.

  2. Natasha Ramz
    Natasha Ramz August 6, 2014 at 4:48 am

    Were d hell the getting d money form

  3. Sherry Gittens
    Sherry Gittens August 6, 2014 at 5:03 am

    Why pump money into Sam Lords and the other hotel they started with other investors down Paradise is a waste ….unfinished

  4. John Herbert
    John Herbert August 6, 2014 at 5:25 am

    We really should read first before we comment

    “Barbados Tourism Investment Inc. has already signed a Memorandum of Understanding with the China National Complete Plant Import and Export Corporation Limited for the construction, with the funds coming from the Export-Import Bank of China”

    Additionally, please note that debates from Parliament are broadcast live on their website and 100.7 FM radio.

  5. Mac10 August 6, 2014 at 2:57 pm

    “We are using the exact model that we used with Almond. It worked with Almond”

    So does this mean that you will be giving this hotel up to 45 years worth of tax free concessions as well & allow them to run the hotel in such a way that any income is generated off Island with no benefit to Barbados & the only Bajan staff will be at the lower levels & the management will be non national like Sandals?

    A clarification please on how this is good for Barbados to build another empty hotel & continue to ignore the development of an industrial base that really creates worthwhile jobs.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *