October 24, 2016 - Police probe death at Golden Ridge, St George Police are investigating the sudden ... +++ October 24, 2016 - Possible funding for NGOs The Division of Economic Affairs ha ... +++ October 23, 2016 - Barbados welcomes MV Viking Star The MV Viking Star docked for the f ... +++ October 23, 2016 - Griffith wins BLP nomination in St John   Charles Griffith will repres ... +++ October 23, 2016 - Hudson Griffith withdraws from BLP nomination for St John seat     As supporters of the ... +++ October 23, 2016 - Chelsea thrash Mourinho’s United 4-0 Source: AFP- LONDON, United Kingdom ... +++

Best’s strokes

Fiery fast bowler tells it as it is

In the face of the controversy surrounding St Lucia Zouks’ fast bowler Tino Best after a reported altercation between him and Barbados Tridents captain Kieron Pollard, Best says he is focused on his cricket.

Last Thursday after the Caribbean Premier League match between Barbados Tridents and the Zouks, Best reportedly returned to the players’ hotel, Hilton Barbados, where there was an exchange between the Barbadian cricketer and Pollard. Pollard and Best are alleged to have engaged in a verbal altercation which escalated into a physical confrontation.

However, speaking exclusively to Barbados TODAY this morning at the Grantley Adams International Airport as he prepared to fly out to
St Lucia for that leg of the CPL tournament, Best said he had moved on from the incident and was fully concentrated on bowling fast, taking wickets and winning matches. Not wanting to speak specifically on the alleged incident Best noted that the rumours circulating were not gospel.

Tino Best

“If they crucified Him, then who am I,” says Tino Best.

Furthermore, he stressed he was disappointed that Barbadians could be so “gullible” and took pleasure out of the said rumours rather than to support him – one
of their own. Suggestions coming from sources at the Hilton and via social media are that Best was beaten after arming himself with a piece of wood.

“We in Barbados we take things and run with them, we don’t know the story, we are a malicious people and we always like to hear things and believe that they are gospel. Look how the Jamaicans does stand up for each other, St Lucians stand up for each other. From the time that Barbadians get an opportunity to grind you, they will go ahead. We support everybody that isn’t a Barbadian and that is the problem, we need to support we own.”

Nevertheless, the aggressive right-arm bowler said this lack of support from Barbadians would not cause him to give up on his dreams to be successful. In fact, he said they don’t even faze him since he was accustomed to Barbadians criticizing his every move. And he believes that the more he continues to achieve in life, the more people will hate him.

“I come from a poor family in Richmond Gap, I live in Haynesville in a Government house. When I started playing cricket people would always criticise me, ‘Tino Best he this or he that’. I don’t care, I was poor just like everybody else and I use my talents to get what I have and now I got things people are still going to criticise and be happy when rumours are spread about me,” the 32-year-old lamented.

“God gives us all a talent to go out there and pursue anything we dream of. I pursued cricket, cricket has done very good for me and my close family. People would see you living a certain way in life and they don’t like it. The first thing people would say in Barbados is: ‘Oh, he lucky he playing cricket’. I never hear nobody say: ‘He work real hard for what he got’. And then they want to call me arrogant but what is arrogance? Because you build a nice house or you have a nice car. I am very good-looking, I always attract beautiful women. Is that being arrogant? Seriously? If somebody is confident and they love themselves, they are being arrogant.

“I am a very confident person and I will never change. I will always be confident. I will always stand up to anybody that is bashing me and I am not a person who will suck up to people. If in life people say I have a bad attitude, I’m a bad person, let them get to know me. People that know me love me and are the majority, those who don’t like me are in the minority. Once you are in the public’s eye, believe in yourself and are always confident, people are not going to like you because we as Barbadians find it easier to critise.

“Me, I don’t mind people saying anything negative about me. Not that I comparing myself to Jesus Christ, but Jesus Christ had love in his heart and they crucified him, they chose a murderer and a rapist over a man that come with love in his heart, so who is me? I don’t have anything that nobody else don’t have or never work hard in them life for but because I am Tino Best and I play my cricket hard . . . .”

Best was of the opinion that if he were not a cricketer or in the limelight, no one would care what he was involved in and he was adamant that as long as his family loved him and his son respected him he would be happy.

“. . . My pot don’t stir at nobody, it does stir at me. I don’t care what people think about me, I don’t care what they say about me, I don’t lose any sleep over them. I know the truth, my family know the truth and I done with that. They don’t faze me, I got God and at least I had the [testicular fortitude] determination and will power to pursue my dreams.

“My dream was to play international cricket and be a professional cricketer. I did that so it means I am a winner, I am a success story. As long as I can play the game and enjoy it I will be cool. I am a very loved individual. Half the world going love you, the other half going hate you. So who cares? I don’t care,” he added.

24 Responses to Best’s strokes

1. Twinman Alleyne
    Twinman Alleyne July 28, 2014 at 10:18 pm

Wayne Omar Alleyne Bell Kellman Jamaine Bullen

2. Ralph Doughty
    Ralph Doughty July 28, 2014 at 10:28 pm

3. Jerry Amos
    Jerry Amos July 28, 2014 at 11:40 pm

Tino I am with you 150 %….keep bless. I said the same thing, no other place would people try to destroy they own countryman.

4. Rawle Maycock
    Rawle Maycock July 29, 2014 at 3:52 am

Keep your cool an stay focused on the things that you wants to do.

5. Lulu Boyzee
    Lulu Boyzee July 29, 2014 at 6:13 am

Wow. Smh.

6. Kim Ramsay
    Kim Ramsay July 29, 2014 at 6:22 am

Karen Ramsay

7. Heather July 29, 2014 at 6:41 am

Remain positive, always place God the father first in your life. And all things will work for you.

8. Karen Ramsay
    Karen Ramsay July 29, 2014 at 8:46 am

Poor Tino, digging that hole a little deeper. smh

9. Karen Ramsay
    Karen Ramsay July 29, 2014 at 8:47 am

sounds like an infant, “my pot dont stir at you”, lol, smh, no, Bajans dont defend that type of behaviour.

10. Bentley Williams
    Bentley Williams July 29, 2014 at 9:04 am

Steupse! So we supposed to support juvenile rants and temper tantrums? Boy look….!

11. Jerry Amos
    Jerry Amos July 29, 2014 at 9:51 am

Bentley Williams I need some help, where you saw the juvenile rants and temper tantrums?

12. Jerry Amos
    Jerry Amos July 29, 2014 at 9:52 am

What hole, and where is deeper? I am one bajan that don’t know Tino from Adam but I am prepared to defend him.

13. Bentley Williams
    Bentley Williams July 29, 2014 at 9:53 am

Been going on for ages Jerry. The response of Barbadians to the alleged incident is a direct result of his behaviour over the years.

14. Bentley Williams
    Bentley Williams July 29, 2014 at 9:55 am

Ohhhhhhh okay Jerry…. Some Bajans know Tino AND Adam hence their reactions.

15. Jerry Amos
    Jerry Amos July 29, 2014 at 9:59 am

No Bentley, can’t get away with that…I want to know what were the juvenile rants and temper tantrums.

16. Jerry Amos
    Jerry Amos July 29, 2014 at 10:00 am

Who are you referring to Greitcha Smith

17. Jerry Amos
    Jerry Amos July 29, 2014 at 10:06 am

Waiting to hear about this strange behavior ….

18. KG July 29, 2014 at 10:29 am

Mr. Best I think that is your problem you think people are watching you and looking for you to make mistakes. I think you are bringing these issues or confrontation upon yourself. I think you need some anger management sessions you are always in some confrontation it all seems that you always have to be at the centre of the action. You need to relax, humble yourself and focus on your cricket. Learn to walk away and ignore mate that would resolve your problems. It often seems that you need people around you to make you the centre of the party instead of just be cool. If you are really Babradian you know we really don’t care about your car or house it is how you treat people by respecting and acting normal. You do not have anything that other bajans have not achieved in fact they are higher profile cricketers than you that really don’t bring this attention to themselves.

19. Shango
    Shango's Oyuoba Son July 29, 2014 at 11:03 am

keep it up lil brother bajans never support they own an big up everyone else maybe if you lived in another country an that country was looking at you everyone would know how good you are and that you are a bajan stupes

20. Shango
    Shango's Oyuoba Son July 29, 2014 at 11:12 am

we so stupid we wear tshirts with Jamaican flags on it an big them up u not seeing a bajan with a shirt on unless its independence or they on sale for $1 tino is a bajan to d bone brother grow strong off of they hate >>>> dont mind d low talk cause they dont know they just grab a few words that they hear an add on they 4cents worth an run with it

21. Michael Burke July 29, 2014 at 5:18 pm

I met Tino Best at an event supporting young people in Doncaster in England when he was playing for Yorkshire. He is a fine fast bowler and a true gentleman. I am sure the people of Barbados know deep down that he brings pride to their nation. A fast bowler with heart can often be fiery. That’s part of what makes him the speedster he is.

22. D'Olivere July 29, 2014 at 6:14 pm

My mom taught me right from wrong, and tino best your action on the field won’t get my support. If Trinidadian, St. Lucian or whoever else support bad behaviour am sorry for them and that. I doubt very much if any other Caribbean Island would Condon your behavior. You have passion, you work hard no doubt but you should work just as hard on your attitude on the field.

23. Ryan D Marshall July 29, 2014 at 6:31 pm

Look Tino, stop all the talk and answer the question, did Pollard beat you with your own shoe and did you curl up in a ball and cry like a baby ?

Thats all we want to know. BTW, it wasnt only malicious Bajans cheering on Pollard, it was also malicious Yardie, malicious Trinis, malicious Muddies and various malicious islanders.