Myrie $3.6m richer today
The Shanique Myrie saga has finally come to a close, three years after it began.
The Jamaican is now in receipt of US$38,620 (JAM$3.6 million) from the Barbados Government, awarded in damages by the Caribbean Court of Justice (CCJ) in a landmark immigration case after she was refused entry into the country in 2011.
Myrie said her lawyer confirmed this morning that the money was in her account.
This came three days after Attorney General Adriel Brathwaite said the money had been deposited.
The Jamaican had claimed she was discriminated against because of her nationality when she arrived at the Grantley Adams International Airport on March 14, 2011.
She complained that she was subjected to an inhumane body-cavity search in unsanitary and demeaning conditions before being detained and deported.
Myrie, who has insisted that the issue was never about money, went public two weeks ago, threatening to file another complaint at the CCJ due to Barbados’ failure to honour the court ruling.