NUPW ready for tribunal by Monday
As the island’s two largest trade unions await their day before the Employment Rights Tribunal with the hope of settling the retrenchment dispute involving over 200 National Conservation Commission (NCC) staffers, at least one of them should be ready by next Monday for the start of hearings when it is announced.
General secretary of the the National Union of Public Workers, Dennis Clarke, told Barbados TODAY this afternoon it was a long process collecting all the relevant information and getting the necessary signatures of the affected workers.
He said the application for representation at the hearing, as requested by the tribunal, had been sorted out.
When the first meeting of the tribunal was held, no evidence could be taken because the Barbados Workers’ Union was not ready, due to what it said a late notice and its desire to have its legal counsel present.
The BWU has since indicated its readiness but is insisting that members of the tribunal first meet with its attorney and officials to ensure the judicial entity understood its role in conducting the proceedings, as well as the functions of the Chief Labour Officer.
The retrenchment controversy had been referred to the tribunal by Prime Minister Freundel Stuart after meeting with the NUPW, the BWU and the NCC at a point where the sides failed to agree on the contentious matter of the first-in last-out policy and the selection process that informed the terminations.