September 19, 2014 - Flood warning Flood warning A flood warning is cu ... +++ September 19, 2014 - Man shot in Bank Hall Man shot in Bank Hall Police are in ... +++ September 19, 2014 - UPDATE: Victim in road fatality identified UPDATE: Victim in road fatality ide ... +++ September 19, 2014 - Bad weather causes power outages Bad weather causes power outages So ... +++ September 19, 2014 - Fatal accident in Belleville Fatal accident in Belleville Police ... +++ September 19, 2014 - Consultant says Employment Rights Act seriously flawed Consultant says Employment Rights A ... +++ September 19, 2014 - PUMP BRAKES PUMP BRAKES Amid claims of taxi dri ... +++ September 19, 2014 - Notice served Notice served Barbados has served n ... +++ September 19, 2014 - Concessions wait Concessions wait Anxious hoteliers ... +++ September 19, 2014 - The way forward The way forward West Indies chairma ... +++ webdesign

British man killed

British man killed

A British national is dead after being stabbed around 5:30 this morning.

Lawmen say the man, whose name is being withheld, was involved in an altercation with a local man in Dover, Christ Church when he was stabbed in his chest.

He was rushed to the QEH by police but died there.

According to police information, the victim was an employee of LIME.

No one has been arrested.

82 Responses to British man killed

1. Cheryl Alleyne-Brooks
    Cheryl Alleyne-Brooks June 15, 2014 at 2:45 pm

Please Barbados please

2. Keri Craine
    Keri Craine June 15, 2014 at 2:48 pm

So sad. So much crime.

3. Lorraine Turner Wilson
    Lorraine Turner Wilson June 15, 2014 at 2:51 pm

Come on Barbados. My Adopted Home. What is happening to You.

• Ryan Bayne
      Ryan Bayne June 15, 2014 at 3:01 pm

We’re getting like the Wild, Wild West every second, minute, hour and day.

• Lorraine Turner Wilson
      Lorraine Turner Wilson June 15, 2014 at 4:50 pm

Don’t say that. It’s making me not want to come back. Seriously.

• Lorraine Turner Wilson
      Lorraine Turner Wilson June 16, 2014 at 1:11 am

I didn’t say I wouldn’t come back. I’m actually coming back soon.

4. Lorraine Turner Wilson
    Lorraine Turner Wilson June 15, 2014 at 2:51 pm

What is there to like about this post.

5. Ryan Bayne
    Ryan Bayne June 15, 2014 at 2:51 pm

I’m getting angry over this.

6. Marilyn Williams
    Marilyn Williams June 15, 2014 at 2:54 pm

Nobody walk away from altercations anymore? Come on people take some chill pill.

• Sisi Kitty Greenidge
      Sisi Kitty Greenidge June 15, 2014 at 8:21 pm

I would hate to think so…People need to realize their actions can have a huge impact on everyone..

7. Veronica Straker
    Veronica Straker June 15, 2014 at 3:02 pm

This is really sad. This man more than likely left his family and came here working to make it better for us, now he will be going home to his family in a casket because of the ignorance and stupidity of one man. Really sad.

8. Angel OfThunder
    Angel OfThunder June 15, 2014 at 3:08 pm

Very sad my condolences to his family..

9. Lorraine Turner Wilson
    Lorraine Turner Wilson June 15, 2014 at 3:10 pm

Bloody Hell. Here’s me a Woman who has been coming to Barbados for 24 Year and hoping to make it My home soon. I don’t class Myself as a tourist now. I’m an adopted Bajan. I would never ever hesitate to go home to My Beautiful Barbados but now I’m getting more and more hesitant wether or not I will be safe when I come over.

• Sharon Woolley
      Sharon Woolley June 15, 2014 at 4:00 pm

I have visited 53 times – not been back for 3 years just didn’t feel safe last time, so sad, I love the island and have many bajan friends, but I value you my life

• Robert Holloway
      Robert Holloway June 15, 2014 at 4:24 pm

Not the vast majority,,, This was 5:30am and we do not know what the story is… Sad for all

• Lorraine Turner Wilson
      Lorraine Turner Wilson June 15, 2014 at 4:59 pm

Sharon last Year was the First time ever that My Husband and I felt unsafe. We had been for a walk and afterwards we sat on the Boardwalk and watched the Beautiful sun set. I was taking pics with My iPhone while My Husband went over the road to a cash point. We then went for something to eat and I swear we had been getting watched.
      We waited for a taxi but waited ages and I seen two guys and said to My Husband that they were the same Guys who were watching me. We decided to get on a bus that came rather than wait in the dark and the bus dropped us off outside our hotel. As the bus pulled away a black car sped up and one of the guys jumped out of the car and we ran down the bank to the Hotel as fast as we could. The car speeded off very quick. I swear they were going to mug us. I’m scared now.

• Lorraine Turner Wilson
      Lorraine Turner Wilson June 15, 2014 at 5:01 pm

I Love Barbados and like You Sharon I’m finding it hard to accept that Barbados is becoming a very scary place to be.

• Sharon Woolley
      Sharon Woolley June 15, 2014 at 5:08 pm

I used to always rent in recent years, there’s no way I would rent alone, hotels are much safer, but I also love to drive to the East coast, I don’t want to feel I am a prisoner in a hotel, it’s sad yes crime is up everywhere, but way too many guns on the island now

• Lorraine Turner Wilson
      Lorraine Turner Wilson June 15, 2014 at 5:11 pm

Shocking

• Sisi Kitty Greenidge
      Sisi Kitty Greenidge June 15, 2014 at 8:22 pm

I really hope the idiots doing foolishness are reading and hearing these comments and realizing they are part of what’s wrong with our country.

• Dolores Huard
      Dolores Huard June 16, 2014 at 8:02 am

I like many others have been visiting Barbados for many years. My first visit was in 1964 and have been back at least once and sometimes twice a year ever since. The reason is that I fell in love with the island but especially the Bajan people. That will never change but I have to admit that I am now fearful and last year did not go because of everything that’s happening there. Some of my friends have been mugged/robbed/assaulted not at night but in broad daylight one of them just steps from Worthing police station. These friends continue to spend many weeks there during the cold months up north but I know of some people who only had one visit and were mugged and said they would never go back. That is certainly not good for tourism because as we all know “word gets around”. I’m truly hoping a solution will be found because it saddens me that my “Beautiful Island Barbados” is starting to get such a bad reputation. Stay safe people.

• Dolores Huard
      Dolores Huard June 16, 2014 at 8:19 am

I’m always happy when I land in Barbados but must admit in the last few years I heave a sigh of relief when I’m back at the airport going home and I’m still in one piece!

• Lorraine Turner Wilson
      Lorraine Turner Wilson June 16, 2014 at 2:16 pm

Just to let you know that this story is all over the UK Papers. This is not at all good for Your Countries reputation and tourism.

• Lorraine Turner Wilson
      Lorraine Turner Wilson June 16, 2014 at 2:16 pm

10. Angel OfThunder
    Angel OfThunder June 15, 2014 at 3:20 pm

Barbados is one does Caribbean islands with the less crime, tourist or ambassadors of the country they came from to act inhuman to them is a very big crime an it shouldnt be look at lightly by our citizens here living on the island, we as a country need to protect our visitors much more because we or not the biggest or most beautiful island most tourist just love our island an its people if we don’t see that then we or too blind to see…

11. james franks June 15, 2014 at 3:22 pm

All very sad and unnecessary.
    Total waste of a life.
    Attacks of this nature are becoming all too common in an increasingly violent Island.

12. Angel OfThunder
    Angel OfThunder June 15, 2014 at 3:24 pm

I play my part as a citizen an make sure that they feel safe an or safe because I want the same if I was a tourist in some other country,it hurts me to see this kind of behavior to any human rich or poor black or white we all or humans

13. Sharon Woolley
    Sharon Woolley June 15, 2014 at 3:29 pm

Tourism is down and this will hit every British paper tomorrow, so many guns and so many knives, if your going out for the evening there is no need to carry either unless you intend using them

• Ashantia Howard
      Ashantia Howard June 16, 2014 at 8:20 am

He was not a tourist he worked at lime and it was a drunken altercation gone terribly wrong

• Sharon Woolley
      Sharon Woolley June 16, 2014 at 12:23 pm

It’s still hit the radio news and the papers today and I imagine the tv news will also have mentioned it, drunken or not, you only carry a weapon if you intend to use it

14. Francis McClean
    Francis McClean June 15, 2014 at 3:35 pm

I don’t kno what else to say but please ah beg Wunna, stop sawing off de branch Wunna sitting on….please.

15. Rawle Spooner
    Rawle Spooner June 15, 2014 at 3:46 pm

Not going to pass judgement because I don’t know facts but this is going to have a devastating effect on Barbados reputation as a safe country more so because of island dependency on tourism.

16. Angel OfThunder
    Angel OfThunder June 15, 2014 at 3:48 pm

I have work with in tourism for years seen alot only problem I had was cheap or drunk tourist other then that I had more fun then anything else,STOP the crimes against tourist because they save they money they work hard to come to our island to enjoy it an its people Stop this evil….

17. Archangel Crichlow-Daniel
    Archangel Crichlow-Daniel June 15, 2014 at 3:52 pm

More negativity for Barbados, another lost life cha don’t care all the promoting Rhi Rhi doing as per say certain people it’s counteracted by this sort of thing! Just now tourists will start avoiding Barbados and going elsewhere they deem safer!

18. Ryan Henry
    Ryan Henry June 15, 2014 at 4:01 pm

I will say this again if u take a life violently and or not in self defense then u should be shot or hung immediately after guilty verdict, if u don’t want to lose ur life you will not take another. With that said I don’t know the facts of this altercation but this is my opinion. I’m tired feeding ppl like that with my taxes

19. Angel OfThunder
    Angel OfThunder June 15, 2014 at 4:23 pm

U know what gets me even more upset that Barbarians can go to the UK on just a passport no visa,the British or our friends they love our island an its people stop the crime against our tourist please….

20. Hermena Straker
    Hermena Straker June 15, 2014 at 4:25 pm

M

21. Hermena Straker
    Hermena Straker June 15, 2014 at 4:26 pm

So so sad my condolences goes out to his family

22. Robert Holloway
    Robert Holloway June 15, 2014 at 4:26 pm

Totally sad for all,, who walks around with a knife ,,

23. Todd Forde
    Todd Forde June 15, 2014 at 4:43 pm

Francis you remember it was just last night that my Brother ask the dreaded Crime question.

24. Todd Forde
    Todd Forde June 15, 2014 at 4:44 pm

The country have too many lawless men walking bout the place

25. Jacinta Lashley
    Jacinta Lashley June 15, 2014 at 5:18 pm

I wonder what caused it!!?! This is very sad! May he RIP, and since he didn’t just drop dead, someone got to know something.

• Ashantia Howard
      Ashantia Howard June 16, 2014 at 8:33 am

It was a drunken altercation gone terribly wrong and he was not a tourist he works at lime

• Jacinta Lashley
      Jacinta Lashley June 16, 2014 at 10:01 am

Ok, thanks Ashantia !
      Bless

26. Stacey Harris
    Stacey Harris June 15, 2014 at 5:18 pm

Jus now no one is goin to visit dis island

27. Stacey Harris
    Stacey Harris June 15, 2014 at 5:27 pm

Nuff of these stupid ppl n wnt no wrk jus robbin and killin

28. Stacey Harris
    Stacey Harris June 15, 2014 at 5:31 pm

Find the person who did it and hang dem, then tht person n go jail eat free food with no light or water bill to pay

29. Rosie Wooding
    Rosie Wooding June 15, 2014 at 5:37 pm

So sad!!!

30. Rosie Wooding
    Rosie Wooding June 15, 2014 at 5:37 pm

So sad!!!

31. Rosie Wooding
    Rosie Wooding June 15, 2014 at 5:37 pm

So sad!!!

32. Rosie Wooding
    Rosie Wooding June 15, 2014 at 5:37 pm

So sad!!!

33. Julie Leenders
    Julie Leenders June 15, 2014 at 5:41 pm

So sad that this had happened and it could have happened anywhere,let’s face it Barbados is hardly the Wild West is it, crime will always be where there is living breathing people,I moved here 12 years ago and don’t see hardly any difference to them and to say that tourists will stop coming is a myth,anywhere u go u have to be on ur guard st all times ,if I was a tourist still coming here the 2 times a year before I moved here it would NOT stop me from coming ,wrong place wrong time is what I say

34. Veroniva Boyce
    Veroniva Boyce June 15, 2014 at 6:00 pm

What is the Sleeping Giant doing to combat the increase in CRIME? Is Barbados becoming a WAR ZONE breeding ground for no value for life morons? It’s not looking good and something needs to be done as soon as possible. Please protect the law abiding citizens and tourist.

35. Veroniva Boyce
    Veroniva Boyce June 15, 2014 at 6:16 pm

Sleeping Giant, please note Barbadians can travel to
    Some European Countries without a Visa. Why forfeit the privilege? Wake up and stop burying your head in the sand and do something about the serious crime wave in Barbados. Show some pride, stop down grading Barbados and don’t wait for the donkey to make it way to the ABC highway and then close the gate, it will be too late, the damage is already done.

36. Yvonne Nelson
    Yvonne Nelson June 15, 2014 at 6:45 pm

These types of crimes happen every day around the world. ..it seems bad in Barbados because it’s such a small island. ..but no different than the USA and England ….it’s sad doh. …

37. Bryan L
    Bryan L'Ecuyer June 15, 2014 at 6:55 pm

Been there 17 times… My wife had two friends there that nearly got mugged but they scared the guy away. There are incidents all over the world including Barbados. It is a safe island but there will trouble once in awhile. Just be smart about where you go and at what time like anywhere in the world.

38. J Acqueline Kim
    J Acqueline Kim June 15, 2014 at 7:55 pm

@Yvonne, it is different to the US or UK. I am British born and raised here so I am Bajan. I do not feel safe either. In the US and UK I know where not to go. On 166 sq miles, I don’t know where is safe. I take Marie’s point. Sorry to see Baz and all the ex pats go. Barbados must do better. We don’t need senseless loss of life and harassment of guests in this island or of the locals. Sick of it!!!!

39. J Acqueline Kim
    J Acqueline Kim June 15, 2014 at 7:58 pm

By the way, what caused it is irrelevant. A man was stabbed in his chest and is dead. When this news keeps hitting the UK press, no one will come. It will be Barbados’ own stupid fault.

• Ashantia Howard
      Ashantia Howard June 16, 2014 at 8:24 am

The cause is very relavant you sound very hysterical and foolish a drunken fight is way different to a tandom killing this was a drunken dispute gone terribly wrong

• Ashantia Howard
      Ashantia Howard June 16, 2014 at 8:24 am

40. Ari Moore
    Ari Moore June 15, 2014 at 7:59 pm

What happened to the days of fist fights?!

41. Sisi Kitty Greenidge
    Sisi Kitty Greenidge June 15, 2014 at 8:20 pm

Oh no :( My condolences to the family.

42. Clive Walrond
    Clive Walrond June 15, 2014 at 8:58 pm

What the hell going on.

43. Julie Leenders
    Julie Leenders June 15, 2014 at 11:28 pm

Well I can tell I for a fact if I were to go out here like I just have done or go out in London where I was born and grew up I know which one I would choose …I go out probably 3 out of 7 nights here AND I only drive a open moke there is no way I would do that late at night in London nowadays ,whenever I go home I am only guard (my mother was robbed only a while ago with her pension that she had collected),I have Never felt threatened here,I’m not saying that it can’t happen but for gods sake it can happen anywhere and those who feel so frightened should stay where they are

44. Diana Ghislain
    Diana Ghislain June 16, 2014 at 7:20 am

Again foreign that is killed in the Caribbean islands, a normal situation, no racism, no one arrested!!!???

45. Olutoye Walrond June 16, 2014 at 10:11 am

Ms. Straker, unless you were there or had an eye witness report you might want to refrain from apportioning blame on either of the parties. We just don’t know the circumstances.

46. Janelle Marshall
    Janelle Marshall June 16, 2014 at 10:55 am

In situations like this. it does not matter who was right or wrong to the people reading the news. The fact that headlines will read “A British national is dead in Barbados” will breed negative comments and attention. What bothers me is that there is a perception that Barbados is a paradise and i hear it all the time from the mouths of people who visit. Barbados to me is generally a much safer place to live and visit as compared to other Caribbean islands but I live here and I do not call it a paradise. Unfortunately we have some small minded people living here who do not care about uplifting their country when they decide to rob the tourist walking back to the hotel from Oistins a Friday night, or snatch a tourist bag whilst walking along Broad Street and run, or break into their vehicle as they are sight seeing around the island. Those persons are to blame not those who are trying their best to sell Barbados to the world. The members of the Royal Barbados Police Force are not to blame. The Police does work so damn hard and for what, to be criticized at everything that occurs in Barbados. While it is sad that a life is loss, every person has a mind of their own to think of the consequences of their actions, unfortunately some decide to make the worst decision. I have no doubt that the man will be arrested and charged soon by the RBPF but what i dont like is all the Facebook Judges, Police and lawyers who try the case and determine who is wrong before it get to the Courts. Everybody knows the facts and really dont know anything so leave it to the people who are tasked to do such. Another thing that bothers me is the perception that all persons who visit Barbados are innocent well let me ask this. I saw a comment earlier speaking about locals harassing tourists to buy drugs. What do you have to say about those tourists who the locals approach of their own free will to buy drugs? Why do we never hear people addressing that? Crime is all over the world and more heinous crimes than what occurs here. I travelled to US and saw a man snatch a woman bag and run hard as hell. It happens here it happens there. The US and European countries are riddled with more serious crimes and we still travel to their countries yearly. Barbados is not the Garden of Eden when it was first made but we are a great place to visit and live. It is sad that we have a very small majority of people who are tainting our country but I would not choose any other country to live in. in some countries you cant even walk through certain areas and some areas tax you to pass through their so call ghettos. In my job i have met alot of tourist affected by crime and yes they are angry and distraught and it is a terrible thing but some of them have said they will come back because one persons actions isnt going to deter them because Barbados is full of nice people. This is true. Barbados has great people with a few goats who thrive on committing crime. The Police have a job to do and when they do it they get licks, yet then people will cry out. They are dammed if they do and if they dont. We blame the Police, the Government, anyone whop we can affix blame to but the CULPRITS who commit the crimes. They are people who lost their jobs (young people) and they are not committing crime, so dont find unemployment as the only damn excuse. Oh and young people arent the only people who commit crime, mature people do also. Each person has a mind of their own.Barbados is a beautiful place and I encourage people to come for a wonderful experience. It is my country and I will defend it. Now it does not matter to me who insults me for my comment as i see plenty insults being hurled at people for their comments. This is my opinion and im sticking to it. Have a wonderful day to all you guys and be safe. My condolences to the family and friends of this gentleman.

47. Olutoye Walrond June 16, 2014 at 11:57 am

Ms. Marshall, it does matter who was right or wrong if you are going to make judgments for or against either party.

48. James Franks June 16, 2014 at 1:04 pm

Barbados??
    With a growing number of violent crimes, James Franks is beginning think, NO THANKS.

49. Lorraine Turner Wilson
    Lorraine Turner Wilson June 16, 2014 at 2:17 pm

50. jr smith June 16, 2014 at 2:23 pm

Why so many people are trying to justify , the murders and criminal behaviour which has and is infesting Barbados.
    We need a very strong and honest police force to catch this vermin and deterring penalties.
    Tariffs for time imprisonment needs to be set for carrying knives and guns and for murders , life in prison.all this silly community service rubbish just stop it , stop being soft on crime.

51. james June 18, 2014 at 8:05 pm

Just want to say i am a barbadian, living in manchester uk. Its very sad indeed. But let me just say we cannot justify ones actions, and its not down to us to determin what the out come should be. Let the law pass judgement based on evedience proven. This act of voilence has no place and should be delt with a firm hand!!

52. Pingback: British man ‘stabbed to death in Barbados after row with local in popular tourist area’ | The Montserrat Reporter

53. Les Carr
    Les Carr June 15, 2014 at 4:01 pm

This know ye….for in the last days perilous times shall come

54. Dolores Huard
    Dolores Huard June 16, 2014 at 8:16 am

What do you mean “going back to that”? It’s been going on ever since and has even escalated. I remember for a few years the newspapers weren’t allowed to publish any crime but now they do and it’s a good thing so at least now people can be more vigilant (not only tourists but Bajans as well!).

55. Ashantia Howard
    Ashantia Howard June 16, 2014 at 8:22 am

Well said many of the people on this post believe when they run to european countries it will be a utopian paradise

56. Ashantia Howard
    Ashantia Howard June 16, 2014 at 8:25 am

Those are people with a bitter sgenda to destroy and pull barbados down

57. Ashantia Howard
    Ashantia Howard June 16, 2014 at 8:26 am

It was not a robbery tho foolbert it was a drunken altercation

58. Ashantia Howard
    Ashantia Howard June 16, 2014 at 8:27 am

Lol you are speaking with too much reason and intelligence for this rabble on here

59. Ashantia Howard
    Ashantia Howard June 16, 2014 at 8:29 am

You do realise he was not a tourist

60. Janelle Marshall
    Janelle Marshall June 16, 2014 at 10:12 am

PLEASE what about the tourist who come here and approach locals for drugs. When will people talk about that and stop making out Barbadians to be all bad. stupseeeeeeeeeeeee