News Feed

October 28, 2016 - Employees pampered As Education Month draws to a close ... +++ October 28, 2016 - ‘Take big view of agriculture’ GEORGE TOWN, Cayman Islands– Sta ... +++ October 28, 2016 - NUPW reacts to Lowe’s comments on privatization The island’s largest public secto ... +++ October 28, 2016 - BUT warns of new militant approach The Barbados Union of Teachers (BUT ... +++ October 28, 2016 - Cameron expresses confidence in Windies women KINGSTON, Jamaica – West Indi ... +++ October 28, 2016 - Expect victimization! Opposition Leader Mia Mottley last ... +++

Police catch suspect in Mounties killing

MONCTON, New Brunswick – The suspect in the killing of three Royal Canadian Mounted Police was arrested unarmed early today, ending a massive manhunt that paralyzed much of an eastern Canadian city.

“I’m done,” a witness said he told police.

Police said at a Press conference that they received a tip that led them to a wooded residential part of Moncton, New Brunswick, where they found 24-year-old Justin Bourque, suspected in the deadliest attack on Canada’s national police force in nearly a decade.

Bourque had been armed with high-powered long firearms and had been spotted three times yesterday, eluding the massive manhunt that all but shut down the normally tranquil city about of about 60,000 people east of the Maine border. Nearly 300 police officers searched for Bourque, who was seen going in and out of a wooded area.

RCMP Superintendent Marlene Snowman said Bourque was arrested in a wooded Moncton area at 12:10 a.m. without incident. She said no weapons were on him, but were found nearby. Charges will be brought later Friday.

Michelle Thibodeau said she saw the man arrested in the front yard of her home and heard him say: “I’m done,” before his arrest by officers with guns drawn.

Roger Brown, commanding officer of RCMP in New Brunswick, choked back tears as he addressed media today.

“Fortunately most people will never have to experience what our officers have gone through in the last two days,” he said. “I can’t dig deep enough to explain the sadness that we all feel.”

Brown identified the dead as Constables David Ross, 32, originally of Victoriaville, Quebec; Fabrice Georges Gevaudan, 45, originally of Boulogne-Billancourt in France;
and Douglas James Larche of Saint John, New Brunswick.

“It’s been a very challenging 30 hours for the officers that got this job done,” Snowman said. “It will take some time to heal, but together we will get there.”

Helene Rousseau, the mother of Ross, said she has a lot of sadness for her son’s wife who has a one-year-old and is due to have a second child in September.

“It’s going to be difficult. These children won’t remember of course. They will not have had the opportunity of knowing their father,” Rousseau said.

Snowman and other RCMP officials did not release any more details about Bourque’s arrest or the circumstances of the shooting, citing their ongoing investigation. Details will be made public in court, she said.

Police have not spoken about a possible motive for the shootings. In a photo released earlier by police on Twitter, Bourque was wearing military camouflage and carrying two rifles. (AP)

Source: (AP)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *