News Feed

October 24, 2016 - Today’s weather A tropical wave is affecting the is ... +++ October 24, 2016 - Police probe death at Golden Ridge, St George Police are investigating the sudden ... +++ October 24, 2016 - Possible funding for NGOs The Division of Economic Affairs ha ... +++ October 23, 2016 - Barbados welcomes MV Viking Star The MV Viking Star docked for the f ... +++ October 23, 2016 - Griffith wins BLP nomination in St John   Charles Griffith will repres ... +++ October 23, 2016 - Hudson Griffith withdraws from BLP nomination for St John seat     As supporters of the ... +++

Decision reversed

Minister of Culture Stephen Lashley

Minister of Culture Stephen Lashley

by Carol Williams

Authorities have scrapped their decision to change the day of Foreday Morning jump up.

Minister of Culture Stephen Lashley announced the decision to stick to the status quo a short while ago, within days of revealing changes to the Crop Over calendar.

Since Thursday we’ve had some consultations and those consultations have convinced us that we should look again at having the Foreday Morning on the Saturday. As a result of those concerns that were raised what we would do this year is to go back to the status quo, which means that Foreday Morning returns to the Friday and the finals would also be held on the Friday as well,” he told the media in a hastily called press briefing.
“What will happen though is that there will be some changes to the start date of the finals. The finals would now start at 7 pm and we expect to start Foreday Morning at 12 midnight on the dot. We would continue to have discussions with the Royal Barbados Police Force.”

The minister is projecting a “phenomenal growth” in the number of Foreday morning bands this year of close to 70, up from last year’s 42.

Meantime, he is insisting that the changes to Crop Over would not adversely affect it.

I am confident that Crop Over remains the kind of quality festival and the changes have not impacted on Crop Over. I believe we will have an even bigger Crop Over this year,” he said.

On Thursday, the minister announced that that financial problems have led to the cancellation of the Cavalcades, the Crop Over Heritage Bus Tour, Junior Soca Monarch, Junior Kadooment After Party, Pan Yard Lime and Evenings Of Interpretation.



5 Responses to Decision reversed

  1. Frederick Alleyne
    Frederick Alleyne April 26, 2014 at 7:36 pm

    Nothing unusual here. They like reverse.

  2. Veroniva Boyce
    Veroniva Boyce April 27, 2014 at 6:52 am

    Drink a shot and reload again! Cockroach have no right at a hen party. What about having Foreday morning in Speighstown, Holetown, Bridgetown and Oistins? Approximately 70 bands will take part, split them amongst the towns. At least the tourist and citizens won’t have to worry too much about the cost of getting to each venue. Why cancel the Junior soca monarch? This event should be run alongside the Seniors.The only difference should be start time. There should of been long term planning and funds set aside for the events.

  3. Angela Maria
    Angela Maria April 27, 2014 at 5:34 pm

    like a chicken with its head cut off….

  4. Patrick Blackman April 28, 2014 at 12:20 pm

    Why is it that every year we have this bunch of confusion with cropover? When are you guys going to take things seriously?


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *