News Feed

October 25, 2016 - 50th celebrations boycott Member of Parliament for St Joseph ... +++ October 25, 2016 - Two sudden resignations at Flow Telecommunications giant Flow has b ... +++ October 25, 2016 - Dead wrong! Minister of Education Ronald Jones ... +++ October 25, 2016 - Sinckler urges retailers to follow the rules Minister of Finance Chris Sinckler ... +++ October 25, 2016 - Uphill task ABU DHABI, United Arab Emirates  ... +++ October 24, 2016 - Mock money Stripteasers at some adult entertai ... +++

Sugar strike ends

After six days of intense and sometimes charged negotiations under the chairmanship of Minister of Labour Dr Esther Byer-Suckoo, the crippling Portvale Sugar Factory strike is over.

Agreement in the dispute that caused an eight-day work stoppage was finally reached just before 1 am this Good Friday.

At 12.56 am, Minister Suckoo announced in a joint statement which was also signed by General Secretary of the Barbados Workers Union Sir Roy Trotman and General Manager of the Barbados Agricultural Management Company Leslie Parris, that the parties agreed to immediately resume sugar production.

“After indepth discussions, the minister is satisfied that there have been misunderstandings in the redundancy consultation process. The parties agreed to seek solutions to those unresolved issues. The parties further commit to completing those discussions by April 30, 2014,” said the joint communique.

The BWU and BAMC also agreed that, in the case of any redundancy situation, all appropriate and applicable methods, including consultation, would be utilized in dealing with those people impacted and their unions.

“The parties further agree that the full consultative process will . . . be used to determine how the best and most efficient use may be made of the labour component,” continued the accord.

The two sides said, too, that they remained committed to upholding all of this country’s labour laws.

“The parties further commit to observe the established norms and procedures founded in the Barbados voluntaristic system of labour management relations.”

The minister, in the statement, thanked both sides for their demeanour and civility during the meetings which she chaired and expressed satisfaction that the parties were able to resolve the issue in the national interest.

The BWU had been protesting what it said was the BAMC’s disrespect for the workers when it retrenched 57 employees from Andrews Sugar Factory in the middle of negotiations earlier this month. It was also requesting enhanced severance packages for those workers made redundant.

11 Responses to Sugar strike ends

  1. Anitra Craig
    Anitra Craig April 18, 2014 at 7:15 am

    Sweet! !

  2. Rawle Maycock
    Rawle Maycock April 18, 2014 at 7:23 am

    Every workplace have people who who don’t produce but get paid all because they are in the cleek.

  3. Veronica Straker
    Veronica Straker April 18, 2014 at 7:29 am

    I saw nothing in the newspaper statement to say there was an apology or any enhancement package, so all of this and Sir Roy didn’t get the two things that he stopped sugar workers and growers and all else who makes money from the sugar harvest. Much ado about nothing it now seems. Lets hope he doesn’t call out another work stoppage the end of April.
    Today indeed is a Good Friday.

  4. Bentley Williams
    Bentley Williams April 18, 2014 at 7:58 am

    He lied she lied they lied don’t mean jack crap! Are the 57 workers back on the job? If not will they be re hired? Will they receive enhanced severance packages? Did the BAMC offer an apology? Wake me up when someone has the answers to those questions. Zzzzzzzzz

  5. Cole Tanner
    Cole Tanner April 18, 2014 at 8:00 am

    Hmm I have an honours degree in English and can’t make heads or tails of this agreement. From de time this stike start my granny say this happen donkey years ago and de crop was spoiling and de union told de workers they reached an agreement get de cane out de ground they will get what they want and after de cane done cut they tell them oops sorry. And up to now de workers ain get what they were striking for. Deja Vu?

  6. Muda Hunte
    Muda Hunte April 18, 2014 at 9:23 am

    Today’s a Good Friday for sugar.

  7. Frank Fowler
    Frank Fowler April 18, 2014 at 9:50 am

    This sugar salty for those 57 who end up where they started, out of job, no enhancement, no apology, and with a pompous fool still as their leader. This was a waste of time from a professional showboater who will always have a job, even when he passes this one off to that lady in waiting. Shameful.

  8. Prince Nick
    Prince Nick April 18, 2014 at 10:35 am

    Next place is transport board he want enhanced packages for them to

  9. Olutoye Walrond April 18, 2014 at 10:37 am

    How can you write this story and not say what happened to the apology the union was demanding?

  10. Beverly Gerber
    Beverly Gerber April 18, 2014 at 10:59 am

    Praise the Lord !!!

  11. Bentley Williams
    Bentley Williams April 18, 2014 at 12:44 pm

    Me too Todd Forde leh me know what you find out


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *