News Feed

October 24, 2016 - Police probe death at Golden Ridge, St George Police are investigating the sudden ... +++ October 24, 2016 - Possible funding for NGOs The Division of Economic Affairs ha ... +++ October 23, 2016 - Barbados welcomes MV Viking Star The MV Viking Star docked for the f ... +++ October 23, 2016 - Griffith wins BLP nomination in St John   Charles Griffith will repres ... +++ October 23, 2016 - Hudson Griffith withdraws from BLP nomination for St John seat     As supporters of the ... +++ October 23, 2016 - Chelsea thrash Mourinho’s United 4-0 Source: AFP- LONDON, United Kingdom ... +++

Still no settlement

It was a wait-and-see state of affairs late tonight as Minister of Labour Dr Esther Byer-Suckoo continued her effort to bring a settlement to the eight-day strike by Portvale Sugar Factory workers.

Up to 10 p.m., management of the Barbados Agricultural Management Company was in one meeting with Byer-Suckoo, while the team from the Barbados Workers’ Union waited in another room for the BAMC to decide on the contents of a document, which should form the final agreement.

BWU general secretary Sir Roy Trotman had told reporters up to that point he was happy with the contents and was waiting on the management to sign off. He said the language of that document, which had been discussed in several back-and-forth sessions, was tantamount to the apology the union had been demanding from the company for the manner in which 57 Andrews Sugar Factory workers were made redundant earlier this month.

The union was also requesting enhanced severance payments packages for those retrenched employees.

The BAMC’s negotiating team included former Chief Labour Officer Mitch Codrington and former Minister of Labour Arnie Walters.

Just yesterday, Minister of Agriculture Dr David Estwick warned that Barbados was on the verge of losing the entire sugar crop if the dispute was not settled soon. He also expressed concern that the apology the union was demanding was a basis for calling a strike which he said had shut down the sugar industry and put the economy in further jeopardy.

However, earlier today, Sir Roy said the “refusal” by management to apologize made him sick.

One Response to Still no settlement

  1. David F. Cabral
    David F. Cabral April 18, 2014 at 7:13 am

    Between this Government and this Union, individually and collectively are going to bring Barbados to its knees…what a shame and Leroy you never be address as a Sir because your actions clearly shows you don’t give a crap about Barbados….you should be declared a treat a national security.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *