News Feed

October 22, 2016 - Intrigue among Barbados Pride With the start of the 2016-17 West ... +++ October 22, 2016 - Water hope Relief could soon be on the way for ... +++ October 22, 2016 - Priest supports ban on religious teaching in schools An outspoken Anglican cleric is sup ... +++ October 22, 2016 - Child’s mental plight Children as young as ten years old ... +++ October 22, 2016 - Bitter infighting mars BLP nominations A political firestorm appears to be ... +++ October 22, 2016 - ‘Illegal’ levy Government’s newly-introduced two ... +++

Forde blasts BWU on sugar strike

The sugar strike should never have happened, says Opposition MP Cynthia Forde, who has taken issue with the Barbados Workers’ Union calling out workers and threatening to widen the shutdown, while refusing to take similar action in support of thousands of laid off public workers.

Cynthia Forde

Opposition MP Cynthia Forde

“If you didn’t strike for all those thousands of people [public workers] going home, how do you come now and hurt the only industry that is going to bring in something –– and it’s not even at the level it would have been years ago. Something is definitely wrong,” she said.

Forde lamented the amount of money being lost as a result of the action, estimated at $144,000 per day by the Barbados Agricultural Management Corporation.

And she said a solution must be found as a matter of urgency.

“I would want for all the agencies involved to come to the table and at least . . . come up with some kind of resolution that people would go back out to work . . . and we can get on with the business of reaping the sugar cane and not be experiencing all these losses,” she said, referring to cane which had already been harvested and at the factory.

“It really needs urgent attention, and if there has to be some other form or strategy to be implemented, I believe that that would work better than putting a pause on the business of reaping the sugar cane and getting the harvest to a level where we can reap the tonnage that we are looking at for export purposes. Let us get on with the business,”  Forde urged.

2 Responses to Forde blasts BWU on sugar strike

  1. sanderson Rowe April 15, 2014 at 12:57 pm

    Between the Unionist and the Arsonist ,Barbados sugar production this year may turn out the lowest in our history.
    For sure, there will be no strikes and hitches at Our Crop Over.

  2. Lincoln C. Harper April 17, 2014 at 1:06 am

    Ordinary Barbadians know a stupid strike when they see one. To be asking NOT THE BAMC but Barbadian tax payers who over the last twenty three years have bankrolled the sugar industry by in excess of a billion dollars to provide a few dollars more suggest an extreme form of social reengineering at play.

    But the majority of retrenched factory workers have some semblance of skill, which could be put to good use if used to fund relevant support programmes. Has Sir Roy forgotten the “windfall”, issue of 1963 that he is now playing the role of Grantley Adams, or is he afraid of being by another UCAL type dog in his old age? What a pity that our workers organization seem bereft of innovative ideas for the rescue and rehabilitation of those that they claim to represent.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *