October 23, 2016 - Remembering David Thompson Today marks the sixth anniversary o ... +++ October 23, 2016 - Today’s weather The Barbados Meteorological office ... +++ October 22, 2016 - Lashley urges innovation Minister of Culture, Youth and Spor ... +++ October 22, 2016 - Christmas Wonderland is back After a 12-year break, Simpson Moto ... +++ October 22, 2016 - Husbands wins St James South nomination Sandra Husbands has been elected th ... +++ October 22, 2016 - Burst main near Springer Memorial A crew from the Barbados Water Aut ... +++

Earthquake rocks Barbados

Residents in several parts of Barbados, including the north and east of the island,  were literally  shaken out of their sleep this morning, as a tremor affected the island.

The US Geological Survey confirmed that the earthquake, magnitude 6.7,  occurred 107 miles north-north east of Bathsheba and 116 miles north-north east of Bridgetown at 5:27 a.m at a depth of 20 miles.

The tremor was also reportedly felt in some neighbouring islands.

The last time Barbados was affected by an earthquake was last year when two occurred on December 15 and 16.

The first, which occurred to the south of the island, measured 3.8 on the Richter scale. The second was slightly weaker, magnitude 3.6, and struck to the north of Barbados.

12 Responses to Earthquake rocks Barbados

1. Marva Lashley-Todd
    Marva Lashley-Todd February 18, 2014 at 6:32 am

🙁 Lord we are thankful

2. Marva Lashley-Todd
    Marva Lashley-Todd February 18, 2014 at 6:32 am

🙁 Lord we are thankful

3. Rawle Spooner
    Rawle Spooner February 18, 2014 at 6:54 am

Scary looks like these are getting more frequent and more sever is Barbados or its people prepared for a major one,hope that never happens but very curious to know.

4. Sisi Kitty Greenidge
    Sisi Kitty Greenidge February 18, 2014 at 7:06 am

Didn’t feel it.

5. Doria Alleyne
    Doria Alleyne February 18, 2014 at 7:07 am

Lord I give you thanks for saving BIM and it’s people.Thank you God.From a Bajan Swede.

6. Margaret Bajanz Ebony
    Margaret Bajanz Ebony February 18, 2014 at 7:44 am

Time to pray , more than we do ,

7. Cheryl Anne Boyce
    Cheryl Anne Boyce February 18, 2014 at 8:08 am

Jah blessings xoxo Almighty is shaking Bim up to let them know that He is powerful and to remind them that they need to still know He is in charge People of Bim, be aware n ready One love xoxo

8. Roger Rudder
    Roger Rudder February 18, 2014 at 9:33 am

I beg you Ra to spare the innocent ones but if you can bull the devils who disparaged and ostracized my name and shatter my image, do thou so, not to the extent that they bleed, my Ra, but to the extent that I can safely walk my lands in safety, my Ra.

9. Simon Gooding
    Simon Gooding February 18, 2014 at 11:18 am

…Some weeks ago ..some man a Professor i dont remember who he was… .. said that Buhbaydus can be expected to be shake by an earthquake …in de future …an some a wanna said…´dem always speakin doom an gloom about de island´.. wanna really tink he was jokin..????

10. Prince Nick
    Prince Nick February 18, 2014 at 11:42 am

bajans boy, d house cld b burning to a crisp, dem ain leaving d house

11. Wendy Green-Pollard
    Wendy Green-Pollard February 18, 2014 at 1:03 pm

Thank god they were no injuries or damage at all. God is good!!

12. Cheryl Maynard
    Cheryl Maynard February 18, 2014 at 5:32 pm

Yes, I felt that while I was sleeping I though that I was feeling dizzy but, then I realize that I was lying down sleeping.