October 25, 2016 - Uphill task ABU DHABI, United Arab Emirates  ... +++ October 24, 2016 - Mock money Stripteasers at some adult entertai ... +++ October 24, 2016 - Bra on Minister of Finance Chris Sinckler ... +++ October 24, 2016 - Tudor on the mend Former Democratic Labour Party (DLP ... +++ October 24, 2016 - Colombians arrested and charged Police have arrested and charged tw ... +++ October 24, 2016 - Man on firearm and ammo charge Police have arrested and charged 54 ... +++

Guarding the guests

One of the newest hotels now starting its chain in Barbados has defended its right to safeguard its guests from what it says is harassment.

In a statement issued last night, Sandals Resort and Spa in Dover, Christ Church, expressed concern about harassment of hotel guests, following a reported incident involving a taxi driver.

The resort said it had raised the concern in light of a wake of complaints from a female guest that she was harassed by the driver, who was unidentified in the statement, while she was relaxing on the beach in front of the property.

“As a result, Leslie Haynes, Q.C., acting on behalf of Sandals, has written to a lawyer representing the taxi driver in question, asking for him to desist from harassing guests on the hotel site,” the statement said.

It quoted the letter who states, in part: “Our instructions are that Mr (Your Client), approached a guest, (not the other way around as you are instructed) holding himself out to be a taxi driver and offered to take the guest and her partner on a tour. This offer was accepted and the couple was taken on a tour by Mr (Your Client), which tour, as reported, they thoroughly enjoyed.

“However, on the following day the guests received a call in their room at 8 a.m. from Mr [Your Client] and were also approached by him later that day as they relaxed on the beach, not wanting to be disturbed. These guests were offended by Mr [Your Client’s] conduct.

“A security guard in question was neither instructed not to allow persons on the beach to talk to guests who were staying at Sandals.

“The beach vendors at Dover will tell you of the excellent relationship that they have established with Sandals. One of the elements of this relationship is mutual respect between the vendor and the guest.

“This mutual respect includes the right of the beach vendors to ply their trade and the right of guests to sleep without disturbance or to be left alone upon indication that they do not wish to be disturbed.

“Consequently, we ask that you inform Mr [Your Client] that should he continue to harass hotel guests upon the hotel site that he will, at the very least, be requested to leave.”

Haynes also stressed that the incident did not concern or involve any issue of the beach being private since Sandals is well aware that there are no private beaches in Barbados as, likewise, there are no private beaches in any of the other 22 locations in the Caribbean where Sandals Resorts are operated.

9 Responses to Guarding the guests

1. Tanja Adis
    Tanja Adis December 25, 2013 at 3:31 am

same old problem in Barbados…I glad to see the hotel took action now.

2. Rawle Spooner
    Rawle Spooner December 25, 2013 at 4:57 am

Why do I smell a rat by Sandals about harassment of guest,could be true but don’t trust this hotel and it could be a back door attempt to private beaches.

• Renny Johnson
      Renny Johnson December 25, 2013 at 7:47 am

Come on, you know that tourist being harassed, you know they being robbed, rapped and burgled. Time for it to stop

3. Tanja Adis
    Tanja Adis December 25, 2013 at 5:51 am

Barbados is beautiful that’s true…I will be back soon.

4. Edwards Swindley
    Edwards Swindley December 25, 2013 at 7:32 am

5. Renny Johnson
    Renny Johnson December 25, 2013 at 7:46 am

Bout time, perhaps the police will now step up and do something, doubt it, it would mean they have to get off their fat ass

6. Prince Nick
    Prince Nick December 25, 2013 at 10:27 am

7. Mike December 25, 2013 at 12:33 pm

Good move.About time these measures were put into place.Barbados’ economy is heavily dependent on visitors.The industry needs to be protected from those of a predatory nature.

8. Jon Near
    Jon Near December 25, 2013 at 7:13 pm

Edwards this isn’t a race thing. Tourists are picked out in Barbados by their hire cars and beach presence. We where over in May and the harassment was terrible.. The jetski lad’s where the worst. I was threatened and even the ones I didn’t hire from demanded money from me for their time. No one else on the beach. Very scary. I stood my ground and had one man shouting into my face. My seven year old son was terrified. I was even accused of treating Black people like dogs at one point because I wouldn’t give someone ten dollars which really upset me as the very last thing I am is racist. We’ve been going Barbados ten years. We stay in St Philip and for the first time out of all of those visits I felt real concern for my families safety. That is really sad as we are now considering going elsewhere next year which is one less tourist family the country will have. I begrudge doing it as I’m not the sort to back down to bullies but I can’t risk my families safety. Dunno what the answer is. The tourism industry is bad, that hurts Barbados, the people become desperate to make money and become pushy which again impacts tourism. It’s a vicous circle!