CCC gets another chance
The West Indies Cricket Board has withdrawn its decision to eject the Combined Campuses and Colleges (CCC) from the 2014 Regional Super50 Tournament in Trinidad & Tobago slated for January 30 to February 16.
In a release late this evening the WICB said it had taken a decision to extend a special invitation to the Combined Campuses and Colleges to participate in the 2014 edition of the WICB Super50 Tournament. The board stated that the six territorial teams – Barbados, Guyana, Jamaica, Leeward Islands, Trinidad and Tobago and Windward Islands – would participate in the tournament along with Ireland and the CCC. The teams will compete for the Clive Lloyd Trophy.
But according to a source, the WICB took the discussion following a Director’s meeting in St Kitts over the weekend after the United States decided not to participate in the competition.
Barbados TODAY understands that no official of the apply great insight and vision in the review of our participation CCC has as yet been informed by the WICB that there has in the 50-over and four day competitions, as this will enable
been a change of heart and the team would now be playing in the Super50 Tournament.
This afternoon the CCC’s manager Horton Dolphin told Barbados TODAY that he was unaware that the WICB had reversed its decision to omit the CCC from participating in the Super50 Tournament.
“I have not been informed of the decision. I will issue a statement as soon as I receive an official notice from the board,” Dolphin said.
An official source very close to the CCC told Barbados TODAY that up to last Sunday the management of the CCC team had not even received official correspondence from the WICB informing them of the initial decision to omit them from the Super50 Tournament.
“All we know is what we have heard and read in the media,” the source said.
Last week Tuesday, captain of the CCC team Kyle Corbin, Dolphin and all-rounder Carlos Brathwate, made an impassioned plea to the WICB asking that the CCC be allowed to play in the Super50 Tournament. Corbin pointed out that the pool of talent in regional cricket was wider as a result of the CCC playing in regional competitions.
“We are humbly asking the West Indies Cricket Board to
us to continue our objectives of rebuilding West Indies cricket standards on and off the field and producing talent for the West Indies,” Corbin said then.
Hours later president of the WICB Dave Cameron told a radio show hosted by veteran cricket journalist Keith Holder that the decision to remove the CCC from the Super50 Tournament was based on “a purely commercial reason”.
He admitted that the university side had played an important part in the development of young West Indian cricketers but the board had the final say.
“The CCC was in the tournament by invitation, they have not been invited this time. They will be invited if and when we so choose,” Cameron said publicly.
The WICB had come under severe criticism from some quarters for its decision to leave out the CCC from its domestic competition. Cameron had indicated, as supported by the numbers in the CCC, that the team was principally made up of Barbadians and did not truly reflect a Combined Campuses and Colleges of regional cricketers.
Social and political activist David Comissiong yesterday accused Cameron of expressing anti-Barbadian sentiments, hampering the development of the regional game and called on him to resign.