October 28, 2016 - Case dismissed The case brought by the Ministry of ... +++ October 28, 2016 - Employees pampered As Education Month draws to a close ... +++ October 28, 2016 - ‘Take big view of agriculture’ GEORGE TOWN, Cayman Islands– Sta ... +++ October 28, 2016 - NUPW reacts to Lowe’s comments on privatization The island’s largest public secto ... +++ October 28, 2016 - BUT warns of new militant approach The Barbados Union of Teachers (BUT ... +++ October 28, 2016 - Cameron expresses confidence in Windies women KINGSTON, Jamaica – West Indi ... +++

Family mourns Krystal’s death

Krystal Lovell's mother Lorraine (left), cradling the latest addition to the Lovell family. Sister Khanesha (centre) and aunt Jennifer Boyce (right) reflect on their personal loss.

Krystal Lovell’s mother Lorraine (left), cradling the latest addition to the Lovell family. Sister Khanesha (centre) and aunt Jennifer Boyce (right) reflect on their personal loss.

A St Thomas family have been thrown into mourning after their 22-year-old loved one was last night stabbed to death by a man she knew in front of her two-year-old daughter.

Krystal Lovell, of Highland, St Thomas, was involved in a dispute with an ex-boyfriend around 9:10 p.m., when she received several fatal stab wounds.

Family members told Barbados TODAY the alleged killer came through the gate and attacked Lovell, who was accompanied by her daughter, as she entered her small abode located just inches away from her parents’ house on the same property.

Krystal Lovell in happier times with her daughter.

Her grieving mother Lorraine Lovell, visibly shaken, struggling to get the words out, said she was not at home at the time of the incident. However, she said she received a call from another daughter giving her the tragic news that her firstborn had been stabbed and was not moving.

I was on my way home when I received a call from my daughter saying, ‘Mummy, come home now, now!’. I say, ‘Khadesha, what happen?’ She say, ‘Mummy, Krystal just get stab and she ain’t moving she head, nor she ain’t breathing’.

When she done talk to me, I press out the phone and I start screaming and hollering. Then after she called me back and told me her boyfriend going to come and pick me up.”

On her way home, Lorraine spent much of the ride trying to assure herself that “my daughter ain’t dead, when I get home I going to see she, she going to be good”.

Reality struck when she arrived at the scene and saw the flood of police and residents.

When I see that, I say well that is it. All I do was I got out of the car and I started to cry; I just started to cry. My husband come and hug me up and say, ‘Lorraine, Lorraine, he kill my daughter. Lorraine, Krystal gone; Lorraine, Krystal gone’.

Under the watchful eye of her sister Jennifer Boyce who sat by her side to comfort and offer support, Lorraine said she was informed that when Krystal was attacked, “she holler for she daddy and when he got there she was holding she belly and he [the alleged attacker] come out of the house with the knife”.

I hear he come to my husband with the knife to stab he and my husband just push he and say, ‘Where you going? You just killed my daughter’,” she said.

The area where Krystal died.

Blood stains line the entrance to the Highland, St Thomas home.

Meanwhile, the deceased’s sibling Khanesha, who had come home from hospital with her four-day-old baby just hours before the incident, indicated that upon hearing the commotion, she ran into the yard where she saw ”my father scuffling with he and my sister was holding she belly, and she just collapsed”.

Daddy was trying to take the knife away from him and he was telling me to stop my father. I tell he look at what he do, because Krystal didn’t moving or nothing so. I tell he that he kill my sister, and he say he ain’t kill she. He tell me don’t tell he so; he ain’t kill she . . . ,” Khanesha recalled as the tears rolled down her cheeks.

Krystal Lovell, who was an employee of C.S. Pharmacy and an aspiring caretaker, who was studying caring for the elderly at the Samuel Jackman Prescod Polytechnic, had planned that when she was finished she would sign up for a make-up course because she “just loved make-up and looking nice”.

The former Parkinson Memorial student also wanted to provide the best and make life as comfortable as possible for her daughter who unfortunately witnessed her death.

She was there. He do it right in front the child. She died right in front of her daughter.”

Lorraine explained that her daughter was in a relationship with the attacker, who is also the father of her child; but, to her knowledge, they had been separated for the past two months, during which “he harass she”.

She and he did split up, but he couldn’t take it. That was my first child, he took my first child,” the mother cried out.

Adding: “Me and she use to get along good . . . . She would try to help me and I would do the same thing. She would help me in any way she could. She use to look out for the people in the house.”

As for Krystal’s father, who also lost his daughter Nikkita Belgrave in the Tudor Street Campus Trendz tragedy, “he ain’t taking it good”.

He cried the whole night. I tried by my best to be strong enough for him but I couldn’t stop he from crying . . . .”

Jennifer Boyce, who also indicated that her niece’s death was harsh on her emotionally, said that while she would never forget the way Krystal died, she would always remember that she was very sociable.

She knew how to make friends easily. She loved to sing; she would sing all the time,” Boyce said as she smiled at the pleasant thought.

20 Responses to Family mourns Krystal’s death

1. Stan Gilbert
    Stan Gilbert December 3, 2013 at 2:21 pm

My prayers for her and family Rip. Stop this cancer that is spreading . Zero tolerance . No more. Let the decent man and woman stand up and say enought is enought. Shame on the justice dept for not acting to stamp this out the police must do their job . Shame on all who sit idly by.

2. Doria Alleyne
    Doria Alleyne December 3, 2013 at 2:51 pm

God’s Blessing to you all.And keep the faith in God.

3. Nicole Clarke
    Nicole Clarke December 3, 2013 at 3:45 pm

4. Angel OfThunder
    Angel OfThunder December 3, 2013 at 3:54 pm

Look u as bajans can help. This family, they need financial help, not talk, so dig deep in your piggy banks and help. We need to look out for each other. I was telling people over and over. We wait until something bad happens to act. No, act now! Start now, love each other today. Don’t wait ’til it’s too late. My condolences to this young lady’s family and the child. If I can help in any way, please inbox me. I’m here for your family….

5. Angel OfThunder
    Angel OfThunder December 3, 2013 at 4:14 pm

Stan Gilbert u willing to help this family cause they are goin to need some real help,talk don’t help action we deal with let me see what u really about…

6. Angel OfThunder
    Angel OfThunder December 3, 2013 at 4:20 pm

Where the church? Where the leaders of our country are? Where the people that have the most to say about Barbados? We have an issue on our hand,let’s put a stop to this. Stop playing games. Let us really help each other in times like these. Thunder bolt.

7. Tanja Adis
    Tanja Adis December 3, 2013 at 4:25 pm

….how many more females will have to die over there? when will the sleeping police take action? I experienced by myself that they don’t take it seriously what you tell them…I called them cuz my hubby came with a huge knife and I was afraid he will stab me…they came the next morning and told me to call them again when he is coming back…I thank God I am still alive…for what does police get paid over there?

8. Patranell Callender
    Patranell Callender December 3, 2013 at 4:35 pm

My prayers goes out to her family especially to her daughter so sad

9. Shelly Blackman
    Shelly Blackman December 3, 2013 at 4:43 pm

Easy to say… whet emotions are involved.. and there is no one there to help them cope, yes young people and older people… need help with COPING SKILLS…. once a negative thought enters…. it will take root like a CANCER in the brain…. then comes the worse one.. if i can’t have she.. no body can…. EDUCATION, TOLERANCE, MAKING BETTER CHOICES…. IT’S A MIXED BAG….NO ONE ANSWER… had it not been for the hand of God on me… i could have been a STATISTIC TOO…. Now I LOVE MY LIFE… and can speak to ABUSE IN ALL FORMS….. MY HEART GOES OUT TO THE PARENTS, OF BOTH FAMILIES…. AND THE BABY… growing up with out your mother is not an easy thing…. we pray for them….. oh LORD WE PRAY….

10. Yvonne Nelson
    Yvonne Nelson December 3, 2013 at 5:14 pm

Sad indeed. .

11. Dione Norris
    Dione Norris December 3, 2013 at 5:20 pm

I am so sorry…the pain they have to endure….they way it ended…..god, help them find comfort please.

12. Taitu Tiye
    Taitu Tiye December 3, 2013 at 5:38 pm

Man this here is hurtful.

13. Sammie N. Doyle
    Sammie N. Doyle December 3, 2013 at 6:10 pm

Comfort and peace to you folks.

14. Nelg Thgink
    Nelg Thgink December 3, 2013 at 6:43 pm

This is so sad. This violence has got stop.

15. Rosalind Eastmond
    Rosalind Eastmond December 3, 2013 at 7:44 pm

I Pray for the family at this time .

16. Katrina Jeffries
    Katrina Jeffries December 4, 2013 at 1:14 am

That’s sad…. My condolences.

17. Myrna bajantodebone Jones December 4, 2013 at 2:12 am

My heart really aches for this family! May GOD comfort and give them strength during this difficult time.

18. sheron fenty December 4, 2013 at 2:50 am

Deepest condolences to her family. Each time I read or hear stories like this I hurt it takes me back to my experience. I am one of the lucky ones I am a survivor. I will pray for you. Be strong for her. Daughter will need you.

19. Cheryl Brewster December 4, 2013 at 8:54 am

I pray strength and comfort from the Almighty God for the Hoyte and Lovell family. This hit close to hope because Lorraine’s Father was my God-father and we all grew up together. Continue to lean on the Master’s loving care and he will see you through. Again deepest sympathy and May God continue to be your strength.

20. esther December 4, 2013 at 11:32 am