News Feed

October 25, 2016 - Police officer dies suddenly The Royal Barbados Police Force is ... +++ October 25, 2016 - St Peter woman arrested and charged A 26-year-old St Peter woman has be ... +++ October 25, 2016 - Vehicle overturns at Warrens Police say no injuries were reporte ... +++ October 25, 2016 - Digital direction Send and receive money digitally, e ... +++ October 25, 2016 - GG winding down school visits In a matter of weeks, once all goes ... +++ October 25, 2016 - Husbands, Walcott brilliant in Canada TORONTO, Canada – Veteran Bar ... +++

Parish Land project at standstill


As Bajans keep on the search for adequate housing, 120 places at Parish Land in St Philip lie empty.

When a Barbados TODAY team visited the site, which is among four other housing projects promised under the Democratic Labour Party administration’s House Every Last Person programme, the only life around was that of sheep grazing on the mounting grass that overran the lots. Bush was everywhere; in some cases, blocking the view of the colourfully painted “affordable” houses.

The roads remained unpaved, and with no operable machinery or workmen around, it seemed there had been no activity there for several months.

More than three years ago, when then Minister of Housing Michael Lashley broke ground on this project, it was said construction would be completed by the end of 2012. Then several Barbadians were assured they would soon have a place to call home. However, several of the wooden structures stay incomplete.

They include two-bedroom and three-bedroom two-bathroom models on lots ranging from 3,500 to 4,500 square feet. Built under the Starter Homes Policy, these houses were designed to give low-income earners who work for less than $3,000 monthly, an opportunity to purchase a house costing between $70,000 and $100,000.

Back in May this year general manager of the National Housing Corporation, Lanette Napoleon-Young, told Barbados TODAY that homes were already allocated and that families would move in shortly. But owners are yet to them up.

Early this year also, when questioned about the status of this and other Government housing projects, new Minister of Housing Dennis Kellman reportedly renounced the claim that things were at a standstill.

When finished the Parish Land development is expected to include an open space and a sewage treatment plant, replacing the traditional suck well system.

Repeated efforts to reach either Napoleon-Young or Kellman for an update on this housing project were unsuccessful. (KC) 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *