Barbados slated to play Trinidad and Tobago tomorrow for 7th or 8th spot

Action today during Jamaica’s frenetic encounter with New Zealand.
Action today during Jamaica’s frenetic encounter with New Zealand.

GLASGOW — Barbados once again found themselves on the losing end today when they were defeated 59-20 by South Africa in their penultimate match of the 2013 World Youth Netball Championships in Scotland.

It marked their third straight defeat following losses to New Zealand and England and they will now battle for seventh [or eighth] position against Trinidad and Tobago when they play their final match on Saturday. For South Africa the game marked a recovery from their nightmare game against England last night. The South Africans were fast out of the blocks to lead at the first quarter break 16 goals to 4.

The Baby Proteas were hurting after last night’s loss but they stuck together and pulled off an impressive win over a willing but limping Barbados.

South Africa’s starting line up seemed to work well and they found a sense of balance and rhythm with the shots dropping in, while Barbados once again had difficulties getting their offensive game going.

The half time score read 48-14 to the Proteas and the introduction of South Africa’s vice captain Rochelle Lawson at goal defence made an immediate impact with several of Barbados’ mid-court passes being intercepted.

Several of the Barbados players have been carrying niggling injuries from previous games, to their shins especially, and many of them looked tired. Most of them would have been unaccustomed to playing at this intensive level on a day-by-day basis with little time to recover.

Vice captain Tyneisha Rowe told of their disappointment after the game.

“We had the mindset to go and win but we didn’t. It was a tough game. In the next game we will be tougher,” she said.

Rowe added that the team had to make a greater effort on both the defensive and offensive end and added they needed to “get stronger”. She said despite the disappointing result against South Africa, the girls would be lifting their heads for the final game.

Barbados coach Sandra Bruce-Small was not at all happy.

“I was quite disappointed because I know we can do a lot better.”

South African coach Dorette Badenhorst thought her team played well, but wanted to go into fifth gear for the fifth place playoff. “We need to be at our best,” she said

Meanwhile, Caribbean queens Jamaica were engaged in a thrill-fest against New Zealand but lost out on a place in the final when they were defeated 53-44.

It was a case where Jamaica left everything out on the court as they played the game of their lives against four-time finalists New Zealand.

Jamaica got the better start. Just minutes after the game started they led 3-0, and that’s where they stayed for the majority of the quarter, just being tipped by New Zealand in the last moments to enter the second quarter 15-16 down.

From there it looked as if New Zealand had found their mojo as they entered the second quarter and turned it around for themselves. The defence picked up their game and restricted the Jamaican shooters to just four goals, whilst their own shooters were on a mission to bring them back up, concluding with a nine-goal run to take them into a healthy lead of 12.

But that quarter saw a devastating turn of events for the Jamaicans. Star shooter Shantal Slater made an athletic leap into the air but moments later let out a piercing scream as she collapsed onto the floor in agony. She was removed from the court, but left a gaping hole in the Jamaican side.

Yet the Jamaicans found it deep within themselves to push on, and they emerged back onto the court more determined than ever. Amazingly they ate away at the New Zealanders score and after a phenomenal quarter entered the final break 38-37 up.

New Zealand had their work cut out and they stepped up to the mark making a number of timely interceptions and strong positional plays to deny Jamaica the ball. The result was a heart-breaking loss for the Jamaican team.

Head coach Oberon Pitterson Nattie was devastated for her girls, but was impressed with their commitment to the game.

“I’m extremely proud I could kiss all of them. They played like it was their last. They fought to the finish and that’s what I’m happy for,” she said.

New Zealand now progress to the final to face reigning champions Australia, and they know what to expect. Te Paea Selby-Ricket said it would be like the Jamaican game “but 10 times harder”.

Coach Janine Southby added: “They’ll  Just bring what they always bring – their dogged determination, physicality and speed.”

Meanwhile Cayman Islands took their second win on the round robin circuit, giving them the chance to contend for 17th place.

They beat Israel by 45 goals which bolstered their goal difference to +80, but in tomorrow’s 17th place decider, opponents Malta though equal on points have a slightly better goal difference.

The Caribbean side, coached by Australian Gillian Lee, played four steady quarters, using everything they’ve learned in the last 12 months of development and in the last week, and took a 71-26 win.

It was a match that went right down to the wire as both teams fired out from the first whistle and never stopped, set on their chances for a 5th place position.

In an action-packed game between Trinidad and Tobago and Wales the crowd were kept on their toes as the lead exchanged back and forth between the two sides numerous times. Wales made it difficult for the Trinidadians on the centre pass but they had a secret weapon – 6 foot 2 inch athletic goal shoot Samantha Wallace.

The high balls in were easily received by her long reach, leaving the Welsh defence hopeless against her. But Wales pressured the ball into the circle and got the vital turn overs required, allowing them to lead 18-15 at quarter time.

Not everything was going so well on Welsh’s attacking end. Feeds into the circle were going long and the shooting accuracy could have been better — only 77 per cent compared to Trinidad & Tobago’s 90 per cent. But the mid-court created the chances needed and Wales kept in there, trailing 29-31 at half time.

With only four minutes of the game left the score was all level at 52 a piece. But this is where the Welsh really kicked in. With a seven goal run they raced ahead, and with their faithful crowd cheering them on they clinched a victory in the dying seconds of the game.

It was a proud day for Welsh netball, but Trinidad and Tobago are still optimistic about their final game against Barbados according to captain Amanda Cameron.

“We’re confident going into that game. We’ll come out 7th I’m sure about that,” she said.

In the big match-up between Australia and England the Aussies took the game 67-33.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *