Three young people shot, home set ablaze

PORT OF SPAIN — Three people were shot and the home of a victim’s grandmother was set on fire in Diego Martin on Saturday night.

Two of the suspected gunmen are currently in police custody — one at Port of Spain General Hospital and the other at Four Roads Police Station.

Investigators said at around 7:45 p.m., the three victims — Saleem Mohammed, 19, Tonya Mercer, 30, and Theophilus Phillip, 24, all of Diego Martin — were walking along a track off Mercer Road when they were shot at by two men.

Phillip and Mohammed were both shot in the right thigh, while Mercer’s back was grazed by one of the bullets, said police.

Upon hearing the news that her grandson was shot, police said Mohammed’s grandmother went to Port of Spain General Hospital to enquire about his condition.

Several hours later, at 2:45 a.m., while still at the hospital, police said the woman received a phone call informing her that her house was on fire.

Detectives said they believed the fire was deliberately set by one of the gunmen or people affiliated with them.

Officers of Four Roads Fire Station went to the area and were successful in extinguishing the blaze, saving the house from being destroyed.

Western Division police officers who were also responding to the scene of the fire spotted two men with guns standing along a track in the area before a shootout ensued. The men managed to escape but police said they believed one of them was shot.

Sometime later, police said a Diego Martin man nursing a gunshot wound checked himself in at St. James Hospital. Medical staff there later contacted police who went to the health institution and questioned the man.

“We are not certain if he is really one of the men who was involved in the shootout with the officers because he is giving a different story about how he was shot,” said one officer.

Up to yesterday evening he was under police guard at the Port of Spain Hospital.

A 21-year-old man was also subsequently arrested in connection with the earlier shooting.

Phillip and Mohammed are still at hospital, while Mercer was treated and discharged, said officers. (Express)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *