July 30, 2014 - Think twice Think twice Outspoken Anglican cler ... +++ July 30, 2014 - BLP discusses the way forward BLP discusses the way forward Barba ... +++ July 30, 2014 - FALLOUT FALLOUT Some of Government’s chur ... +++ July 29, 2014 - Shane’s bronze Shane’s bronze GLASGOW – Shane ... +++ July 29, 2014 - Pay the tax Pay the tax Historian and universit ... +++ July 29, 2014 - A head thing A head thing It’s a head thing wi ... +++ July 29, 2014 - Cadogan after Oba’s record Cadogan after Oba’s record Barbad ... +++ July 29, 2014 - Barbados draw against Trinidad Barbados draw against Trinidad Trin ... +++ July 29, 2014 - UWI sees high numbers for bursaries UWI sees high numbers for bursaries ... +++ July 29, 2014 - Shane takes bronze at Commonwealth Games Shane takes bronze at Commonwealth ... +++ webdesign

Guard charged

Vernon Sylvester Lyte, of Balls Land, Christ Church charged with serious bodily harm.

Guard charged
boyinhospitalcropped

Menelik Armstrong in hospital.

The security guard accused of beating a Lester Vaughan School boy on Sunday night while on the compound of Copacabana club, Bay Street, St. Michael, was arrested and charged today with serious bodily harm.

Forty four year old Vernon Sylvester Lyte, of Balls Land, Christ Church appeared in the District “A” Magistrate’s Court today to answer the charge of inflicting injuries to the 15 year student.

Police said Lyte, who also works at the same school, was released on $10,000 bail with one surety and ordered to return to court on October 29.

The student, who underwent emergency surgery at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital, reportedly sustained severe injuries to his lungs, kidneys and bowels.

43 Responses to Guard charged

1. Black Queen
    Black Queen July 5, 2013 at 8:03 am

Good

2. Terry Orlando Best
    Terry Orlando Best July 5, 2013 at 8:04 am

I am not surprised.

3. Donna Morgan
    Donna Morgan July 5, 2013 at 8:16 am

He too foolish serve him right

4. Kim John
    Kim John July 5, 2013 at 8:28 am

regardless to what this child did, that big animal aint had no rite to beat kill that woman child so.that is heart wrenchin.

• Ramona Morris July 5, 2013 at 6:18 pm

big animal. if you know lyte as he is referred to by all of the lester vaughan students and old scholars you will know that while he has a big muscular appearance that he is not one to pick a fight with a teenager. i am in shock right now

(former lester vaughan student)

5. Kerrizeta Mckenzie
    Kerrizeta Mckenzie July 5, 2013 at 8:59 am

imagine how this woman felt seeing her child on the sidewalk alone left to die

6. Rosanne Brathwaite
    Rosanne Brathwaite July 5, 2013 at 8:59 am

Good, I hope they lost he way in jail!! He had no right to beat that boy. I hope they bury him under the jail!!!!

7. John Harewood
    John Harewood July 5, 2013 at 8:59 am

Wait wait a minute some of you like wanna nuts!

Yes he was wrong for climbing over the fence by all means. kids do stupid stuff with out thinking the consequences of their action well he’ll adults that should know better do worst but this is a kid at some point in our lives we had at lease once did something silly that we shouldn’t of done unless u was a saint .but in no way would I say good for him . People would say if this was your child would that had severe internal injuries from a beat down like that would u say good for him or her. Of course you would say not my child he or she would know better. Yea alot of well brought up kids have become unsuspected murderers too so dont even come with that. The security man out of the 3 should of held him and call the cops not beat him like severely u know how hard he had to hit him to cause burst lung damage pancreas internal bleeding and other injuries damn. That’s worst than getting a cut ass from ur mother when you do something really bad I’m sure a mother won’t beat a child till internal injuries occur do what say you people that say he deserve to get beat till near death because that’s what severe internal injuries can do put you closer to the earthworms!

8. Sharon Woolley
    Sharon Woolley July 5, 2013 at 9:00 am

I assume this maniac will not be returning to work at the school, he has shown only too well that he cannot and should not be left near any kids, he’s done this once and he can easily do it again, a long spell in Dodds is what he deserves

9. Julie Leenders
    Julie Leenders July 5, 2013 at 9:17 am

Nasty piece of ***** they should lock him up and throw away the key, because if I were that child’s mother or father, I think he would rather be locked up for good…Tell me what sort of animal does this to someone, especially a child, its disgusting

10. Colin July 5, 2013 at 9:20 am

You got to be kidding me, a $10,000 bond for this? I hope that this is the maximum bond allowable for this type of situation. Was his passport confiscated as well?

11. stefania July 5, 2013 at 9:33 am

This is crazy to think that he was able to get out on a $10,000 bail !!! The fact that this boy is alive is simply a miracle !!! attempted murder is what I see here !!! Good point …was his passport confiscated ??? this guy needs to be in jail !!

12. Winifred A. Harewood
    Winifred A. Harewood July 5, 2013 at 10:07 am

This is Barbados, not the old South Africa!

13. Princess Tiny Neferua
    Princess Tiny Neferua July 5, 2013 at 10:13 am

WELL DONE to the relevant authority….I hope he gets what he deserve when the courts are finish with him….stupid stupid man.would he want someone to do this to any of his children….

14. Fiona Griffith
    Fiona Griffith July 5, 2013 at 10:23 am

Good

15. Julie July 5, 2013 at 10:31 am

Wait did I just read that the guard works at Lester Vaughan school, no man this sounds suspicious

16. Julie July 5, 2013 at 10:38 am

Am not saying the boy was right but we all did silly and wicked things as children, but the beating he sustained was nowhere fitting I think that guard should be imprisoned for his actions a little ruff up or slapping some handcuffs pon the boy until the police came would have been more appropriate, I work in the same field and I would never dream of conducting myself like that he needs to read the security guard act especially chapter 371E. I hate to say it but I hope he gets what he deserve

17. Jane July 5, 2013 at 11:11 am

People think with your headsssssss………..something is OBVIOUSLY missing from this story..when I first read it I went like wth….o_O…but after studying my head although he is wrong because the boy is just a child. Yes he deserves punishment but I truly believe something must have provoked him, and it probably was something continuous that we do not know about. These children of today ain’t easy so when ya say A ya have to say B..

18. Jane July 5, 2013 at 11:13 am

Some of y’ll come on here insulting the man and don’t know what happened..neither do I but just let us all pray the boy survives and can tell his story providing it is the ‘truth’….

19. Jane July 5, 2013 at 11:24 am

People think with your headsssssss………..something is OBVIOUSLY missing from this story..when I first read it I went like wth….o_O…but after studying my head although he is wrong especially since the boy is just a child I truly believe something must have provoked him, and it probably was something continuous that we do not know about. Yes he deserves a punishment but these children of today ain’t easy so when ya say A ya have to say B..

20. Harriette Carrington
    Harriette Carrington July 5, 2013 at 11:48 am

Good………what he did to that kid was heartless

21. Deborah July 5, 2013 at 11:53 am

my question is this, what would the justice system do with the security guard a big man like him and he could not even do a citizen arrest untill the police come ; and he work at the same school did he have something against this young man .He could have kill that child what about the side affect ,well for my one part he could never be no guard at any of my schools again. My heart goes out to the parents and family of this young man i would go all the way with this one dough the child was wrong he had no right to do what he did.LET JUSTICE BE SERVED.

22. Relina Coward
    Relina Coward July 5, 2013 at 12:54 pm

now this man get charge an out on bail an going back to court in october now a man on buggery charges not on bail his attorney begging for bail well well, now i dont like american system of not hitting children but they have good rules when it comes to abusing children because they know they children are the future of the country why cant we treat our children this way i dont go against punishing a child an whopping a child but if he were in america he wont get no bail stpz i am annoyed if i had money i would help that mother to get a good lawyer to fight for him this is very inhumane i wonder if he had something against this child since he is the guard where he goes school. Now if the mother didnt go to Barbados Today i dont think it would have end up in the nation stupidness i think the system here an other countries in the caribbean is very poor when it comes to our children so sad

23. Ingrid Ridout
    Ingrid Ridout July 5, 2013 at 1:35 pm

Good, lets hope they deal with him as harshly as he dealt with the child.

24. Nikita Davidson July 5, 2013 at 2:01 pm

My prayers goes out 2 his mom…who I know from seeing …may the almighty b with u your son & family members …

25. Sandra Davis
    Sandra Davis July 5, 2013 at 2:12 pm

Of course he should be arrested and put in prison for beating a child.

26. adda2107 July 5, 2013 at 3:26 pm

Is the guard allowed to moonlight some guards lose they jobs for that secondly to work at these places is his security license paid up thirdly if the boy was being escorted by two other security did they just let him beat up the boy without tyring to stop him they just as they didnot.and if hevis charged I guess he would bevon suspension from work at school and parent of students T school you know what to do

27. Blossom July 5, 2013 at 3:35 pm

I am glad he got charged. How can a grown man beat up on a 15 year old boy? The other two guards had the situation under control and even if the boy use to taunt the guard at school or whatnot you mean to tell me that he isn’t old enough or wise enough to deal with the situation without trying to kill the boy?

Miss. Edwards I pray that your son recovers 100% and I hope that guard gets what is coming to him.

28. Blossom July 5, 2013 at 3:50 pm

Jane seriously though. There is no way he is justified in beating that child, I don’t care how much of the story is missing. I know the children of today ain’t easy but if you have to lower yourself to their level and throw punches and kicks to get a point across then you are a child as well and should not be in a job where you have to protect anyone. So don’t come telling me that the boy was at fault for the beating he got.

• sweet girl kelley July 6, 2013 at 9:01 am

That Is A Lot Of Nonsense I Glad That Lyte Get Charge & He Should Not Get Bail He Should Spend About 3yrs In Jail That Is A Lot Of Nonsense …….If Menelik Dead What Will He Say That He Sorry …I Must Say I Hope Menelik Pull Through ……Yes He Was Wrong But Lyte Shouldn’t Have Beat Him Like That …It’s Utter Nonsense !

29. rodney lucas July 5, 2013 at 7:17 pm

First let me say greetings in the name of the gods of this universe. That security officer, first thing first, needs an anger management class, secondly I strongly believe that the said guard was provoked and my honest opinion is that there are many lessons to be learned from this. Firstly the boy and whatever trend he was following it finally caught up with him , also the administration for that school or whoever is responsible for recruiting security needs to look very deeply into these workers, also parents need to pay more attention to their children’s whereabouts. I’m not here to take any sides but to make sure I give a relevant opinion. We need to understand that this time we are living in is some very serious times and the people needs to wake up(INCLUDIND THE CHILDREN WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THE OUTCOME OF OUR FUTURE GENERATION) and take off those dark shades and look and see what is happening around us. My sisters and brothers peoples level of tolerance have shifted greatly and we need to handle situations differently. Where that guard is concerned he should be dealt with in accordance and compliance with the judicial process.

30. b j July 5, 2013 at 7:24 pm

WE DONT have all the facts but nobody should be treated in that manner,bottom line is kids di kid thing,i remember stowing way to watch wrestling at the stadium as a boy smh he needs to pay for his actions and loose that job stupesssss

31. Conchita Moseley
    Conchita Moseley July 5, 2013 at 10:31 pm

And rightly so.

32. Conchita Moseley
    Conchita Moseley July 6, 2013 at 7:08 am

I was reading some comments here which make me wonder if these people commenting have children/grands of their own or if they are so ignorant they care to give a blind eye to the serious crime this guard has committed, any lawyer taking his case expending to win should be disbarred……..No judge or jury should pardon this man. “comments like it would teach him a lesson, people should train their children not to do this and that, or my child would not do that is pure BULL we as parents can train up up our children in the best possible way does not mean that they will not be sucked in….Poverty in this day and age causes some children to make wrong choices, we can only hope that in training up the child they stay on the straight and narrow. To much bad influences for our children to cope with today, society!!!!!!! peer pressure TV technology and wanting to be part of the high trend life is driving our kids to make wrong choices. The big rich fat man targets kids because they know parents can’t say No these days….We can’t afford it but we try to give them. A fifteen year old boy getting kicked like a football no one can put that down to the parenting….

33. Sue Donym July 6, 2013 at 9:35 am

Even if for some bizarre reason this person is allowed to continue to work as a security guard it should NOT be at ANY school. Just the likelihood that there could be a repeat is dangerous. @Jane and @Julie I am getting mixed messages. Put yourselves in the boy’s position. What would be acceptable as a ‘rough up’ or just provocation? Let’s not blur the lines. What if it were a woman? Just the facts. Not even if it were an intruder on your property does this sound like justifiable force!

34. Kemar Holder July 6, 2013 at 10:46 am

Honestly i cant say good for the 15 year old student because lyte is fairly big but be an adult and be serious here most children dont respect adults as they should his mother might be saying he is a saint but he was with his boys and they fairly get to big for they shoes the mother wasn’t there she can’t say what her son did you cant judge the guard for what he did because you weren’t there and as a former lester vaughan student i was a rascule at the lester vaughan institute and i had to deal with lyte everyday and lyte is a caring guard give me so many breaks and yes he doesn’t take non sense and he will only rough you right up like that if you indanger his life and im sure if you had to interview any of the students at lester vaughan no man i just going to beat a child like that so think again they must be a reason

35. shakimian July 6, 2013 at 11:16 am

this is bear #### guards doing foolishness thinking them run things so them can do as they like and forgetting about human rights he want losing way few years back round xmas time the guards in cherish supermarket would dread up de women in day for opening a drink r if he think he c she moving funny and would beat them now he near kill a hard ears child why de guards don’t go round de men that shoplifting them int gine round de men but fell them big and bad deal wid him before it gets out of hand and 1 of them guards get wa coming 2 them cause this is bear foolishness

36. Final factor July 6, 2013 at 3:02 pm

It seems to be a matter of poor professionalism and bad judgement on many levels. An earlier report stated the boy was being escorted by two other security guards to the gate. Why did these guards not intervene and restrain their colleague.

37. Vanessa Bowen July 6, 2013 at 4:30 pm

Why oh why would someone be foolish enough to say this boy get what he deserve…men rape babies and get two years in prison…peopleget kill during vehicular accidents and license gets taken away..no prison time for some… if you belive that climbing over cococabana wall justifies this type of reaction, then if he hadtaken something, he would already be buried then…what are we sayin…guards, beat whoever is underage, but let the adults face court…I dont care what provoked him..he is WRONG..may God have mercy on his soul

38. Victor July 7, 2013 at 12:39 am

First let me say that I wish that child a speedy recovery and my heart go out to his mom.no parent would ever want to see they child like that.
    As I was reading I read that the guard also worked at the same school the child attended,and it came to mind maybe that treatment that was dealt to that kid was from a past run in between the two.because if two guards are escorting the kid out then why would lyte think he need to ” as old timers say” man handle the kid. I hope he gets what he deserves,because no lawyer ,judge,or jury can justify his actions towards this kid.

39. b t July 7, 2013 at 1:41 am

I believe that it was wrong to bamboozle the young teenager in such a brutal way however in the whole picture that everyone seems to be missing he is 15 years of age and jumping over a fence to get in to a venue where he is to young to be. That is called breaking and entry and its also against the law of Barbados. Stop looking at what the security guard did he will pay for his wrong look at the child who could have killed him self jumping over the fence, also when he is 23 and he is going up to HMS Dodds because of committing other crimes his mom will change her story. Train your child from home both your children climbed over the people property I would charge you as a parent. AGAIN THE GUARD WAS WRONG FOR WHAT HE DID AND IN THAT MANNER however THE 15 YEAR OLD BY SHOULD BE IN ANOTHER PLACE.

I was at Oistins on Friday and they were about 8 children smoking and drinking alcohol. I was able to watch one pass out, you can see it was his first time drinking and their first time smoking. At less than 14 years old in Barbados and police were there so the guard taught some other child a lesson hope.

40. Ms. Bemused July 7, 2013 at 6:40 pm

Now, clearly some of you are ignorant and stupid to think that anything this child did justifies that security guard beating him an inch short of death. Chances are the boy gave him talk, but that is his right since we still live in a Democratic society, clearly they were wrong for jumping the wall, still does not justify beating him close to death. Now, alot of us stowed away as teenagers to get into places where the action was and where we did not belong, but were we beaten nearly to death, get caught, get put out. This grown man was wrong and I pray that he feels the full extent of the law. Nothing that child did while at school or at that gets justifies trying to kill that woman’s child, instead if he was a real security he should’ve turned them over to the police. Surely hope this mother sues the pants off of the establishment as the guard was acting as an agent on their behalf, and as such would be held accountable for his actions. Madame, I wish your son a speedy recovery and pray the Lord strengths you and your family. Seek justice for your child’s sake, he is your child.

41. Blossom . July 8, 2013 at 11:27 pm

I honestly cannot believe that some people still defending that guard. Wunna got to be his friends and not very good ones at that because if you were his friends you should be able to tell him he was wrong.