November 26, 2014 - Land verdict Land verdict An elderly Barbadian c ... +++ November 26, 2014 - More adjustments coming, warns Governor More adjustments coming, warns Gove ... +++ November 26, 2014 - STRIKE PAY STRIKE PAY West Indies players who ... +++ November 25, 2014 - Court kings Court kings While Antoine “Lil Ma ... +++ November 25, 2014 - UPDATE-Driver survives after lorry plunges 40 feet UPDATE-Driver survives after lorry ... +++ November 25, 2014 - Finals bound Finals bound Graydon Sealy Secondar ... +++ November 25, 2014 - Student suspended for beating teacher Student suspended for beating teach ... +++ November 25, 2014 - Wanted man captured Wanted man captured Police have cap ... +++ November 25, 2014 - Driver survives after lorry plunges 40 feet Driver survives after lorry plunges ... +++ November 25, 2014 - Three plead guilty to drug charges Three plead guilty to drug charges ... +++ webdesign

NEAR DEATH

15-year-old boy in hospital after being allegedly beaten by security guard

NEAR DEATH
boyinhospital

Menelik Armstrong in hospital.

The timely discovery of a Lester Vaughan Secondary School boy lying on the ground and vomiting blood near the Immigration Department, Wharf Road on Sunday night, may be responsible for him still being alive today.

Fifteen year old Menelik Armstrong, his mother Lisa Edwards informed Barbados TODAY this afternoon, did not respond to her when she first reached the scene after being alerted at home by a “stranger” who was passing by.

A distraught Edwards said her son had earlier walked from near the Copacabana Club on Bay Street, and collapsed on the Wharf Road, after allegedly being beaten almost to the point of death by a security guard.

She reported that the boy, even though in stable condition this evening, had to undergo emergency surgery at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital, for severe damage to his kidneys, bowels, pancreas and lungs.

“The doctor tell me he lungs was burst and they had to repair them by surgery,” disclosed the mother. “He inside torn. He had internal bleeding and he was vomiting blood.”

In explaining what she said she had uncovered in relation to the incident, Edwards admitted that he had climed over a fence with his brother and another young man.

“Yes, my son was wrong to go into the place, but he (the guard) had no right to beat him like that. He is just a little boy to him,” the mother said. “Even if he had pushed him out or something like that, but not beat him so.”

Edwards further charged that the other boys escaped, but Armstrong did not and when he was discovered by two other guards, they ordered him either to go back over the fence or through the gate.

“He decided to walk through the gate and was being escorted to the door by these two guards, and this other guard came from nowhere, locked off his neck and took him to the ground. He cuffed and kicked my son in his stomach … and kept beating him,” the mother reported.

All this, she charged, happened about 7 o’clock Sunday night.

“I want that guard charged. I gave a statement to the police at Central (Police Station). My son now in hospital with tubes all over him — his hands, nose, even in his penis.” emmanueljoseph@ barbadostoday.bb

Update (2013-07-04): Security Guard Vernon Sylvester Lyte, of Balls Land, Christ Church charged with serious bodily harm.

60 Responses to NEAR DEATH

1. Julia July 4, 2013 at 7:46 am

Has this security guard been arrested & charged? If not, why not?

2. Ron Colbourne July 4, 2013 at 8:12 am

Has the security guard been arrested, and have the facts been established ? this is a very serious incident.

3. SheriVeronica July 4, 2013 at 10:50 am

Wish the young man a speedy recovery.

4. David July 4, 2013 at 10:59 am

Why are these incidents only highlighted in the Barbados Today and not in the 2 other daily newspapers?

We have some unprofessional,uncouth,downright stupid security guards; not only the private ones but the government security guards as well. Just pay a visit to the Welfare Department in Roebuck Street and observe how the two uncouth government security guards, especially the male, one treat members of the public seeking assistance from the Welfare Department.

I hope that security guard is arrested and charged.

I wonder if these security guards do not have family members when they unfair other people’s children?

5. SR July 4, 2013 at 11:25 am

I will pray for him and I wish him a full recovery despite all the damage. The guard however should be brought to justice and should be made an example of. This is outrageous!!

6. Peter July 4, 2013 at 12:29 pm

These boys may have been wrong to enter the property illegally and normally at that age they do these things out of sheer male spirit of adventure and ignorance. However where undue force is used as in this instance, I am sorry but had this been my kid, the deep dark ugly side in me would have preempted any possibility of arresting the security guard.
    The justice for whatever the guard assumed their crime to be, was not his to administer. I would have understood if he had held the youngster and called the police.
    That guard must be punished for what he did, especially after the youth was leaving under the escort or advise of 2 other guards.

7. alison sandiford July 4, 2013 at 12:38 pm

this Barbados in third world countries people don’t get arrested for these kinds of atrocities ,they laugh these things off which is so sad ,he should be arrested and sat in jail awaiting bond.

8. alison sandiford July 4, 2013 at 12:40 pm

I meant in Barbados you are not arrested for such crimes ,it never happens in third world countries ,

9. Cassandra July 4, 2013 at 1:23 pm

This is a very unfortunate incident and my heart goes out to the young man. If it’s true that the security guards there are unprofessional and uncouth, it would seem that they proper training and their employers need to hold them accountable for their actions when they use excessive force. Having said that has the alleged perpetrator(s) been brought in for questioning?

It seems that Bajan newspapers are more tabloids than actual newspaper. I read articles (well stories because they are so poorly written and researched) and I am left with more questions than when I began reading. Newspapers there seem to exploit these victims just for the sale of a paper. This piece could have been written with a bit more tact. For instance, why is there the need to know that this individual has a catheter in his penis? Yes, the ‘journalist’ may have been quoting the mother but was that piece of information necessary? Perhaps, going to the establishment where this incident allegedly occurred and speaking with management or any staff that may have been present. Even going to the police to see what was reported and what stage of the investigation they are at would be more useful to your story. Taking those steps and reporting on them in my eyes is true
    journalism – getting all sides of the story. As for the photograph, why is there a need that poor child to be shown like that. Paint a picture using your words. Stop exploiting other people’s tragedies.

10. Ricardo July 4, 2013 at 2:39 pm

A few more of our youth need beating like this…hope he recovers fully soon though…and learns.

• Concerned July 4, 2013 at 9:37 pm

i hope and pray to god above it is your daughter not even your son that would be next…no futher comment to you and your stupid comment…i really dont think the ending part of your comment was said seriously and needed in his case either

• b t July 7, 2013 at 1:54 am

so you prefer him to be in prison or in hospital recovering you aren’t in anyway concerned if you were you would agree train your child at home and he won’t place him/herself in a position for that to happen, however what the person should have said is some of our youth need to be given a little rough treatment to prevent Barbados as an island from getting like Jamaica

11. allison July 4, 2013 at 2:45 pm

I pray that the security Guard be charged i also pray for Gods blessing and he will be made well

12. Harriet Spencer July 4, 2013 at 2:46 pm

Rules are Rules there is a reason why security is at that property. This incident would not have happen if the young gentleman and his friends had stayed off the property.

To the Security, in no way shape or form should this child be beaten like a dog. Why not hold him and call the cops that would have been the wise thing to do.

Hopefully with prayers this young man will have a speedy recovery and this is a lesson for him not to trespass on people’s private property.

13. Realist July 4, 2013 at 3:00 pm

First he goes into that establishment, then he goes into someone’s house. I think he has learnt his lesson; stay at home and find something constructive to do.

• Alex July 4, 2013 at 3:11 pm

Dear Realist. You’re an idiot!

• MOTHER July 4, 2013 at 4:27 pm

U MUST BE A MULE AS THEY CANT HAVE CHILDREN

IS IT RIGHT TO BEAT A CHILD LIKE THAT

U MAKE ME SICK TO THINK THAT PEOPLE VALUE LIFE AS NOTHING TODAY

• standy July 4, 2013 at 8:07 pm

I am sure many of you making these stupid comments did something stupid like this as a child… if only to pick some ackees or some mangoes, de same security guard probably did something stupid himself at some point, NO child deserves that, even if it was a big man I would understand, but a child that you could give to slaps round it head or hand cuff and call police… hmm!

• edenlodge July 4, 2013 at 5:17 pm

if dat was u son u wud neva say a ting like dat and dat cum from all in
      eden lodge an we dnt even kno d kid back off realist

• a parent July 4, 2013 at 8:41 pm

you are such an idiot

• Concerned July 4, 2013 at 9:41 pm

i think your are looking at it from the wrong side…rules are rules yes,but i’m sure his(the security guard) rules weren’t to damage anyone in that state of matter…mabe one day you’ll slip up and someone does something worst to you n you’ll say the same thing..you deserve it

14. Sharisse July 4, 2013 at 3:08 pm

It is horrble that this could have happened and was not printed in the other newspapers.

As to answer Cassandra’s question on the photo. It is plain and simple to let the public see the image of the boy.

It’s all right to have a idea in your head but you might just brush it off. Does pain sell hell yea, but it also helps to reduce these incidents from happening to other people.

Do you think that if this goes to trial, members of the court and people in society won’t remember the picture and want justice, not only for him but also for others who may come into contact with the said guard?

Yes I agree that his penis should not have been mentioned but that is bad judgement, and it plays on our (the public) emotion. That’s life.

I hope he has a speedy recovery

15. Sharisse July 4, 2013 at 3:17 pm

Realist are you an #$$? He is 15 years old and made a mistake but one that did not cause any harm or take from others.

The event was free the only thing was that you were only allowed in if you were 18 years of age and older.

He is a kid. Kids do dumb things some more that others, that may have been the child’s only stupid act as a teenager.

The guard was wrong plain and simple, he was already leaving peacefully and was unable to defend or run from the beating.

I will pray for you, cause you dont have any sense.

16. mel July 4, 2013 at 3:32 pm

The journalist did not go to the mother, she came to them.

17. keke July 4, 2013 at 4:49 pm

This picture have me so sad ! ..I go to the Lester Vaughn School about to go in 4th year this is my friend. Yes he is hard ears but why beat and do him like this?

This act was not right at all and he needs to be charged for his ations and how can some people be posting more young people need to be beaten like this! Would u like this for your child?

I am praying for him and hope he will be well and you older people learn to grow up and do things the right way.

18. independentlady July 4, 2013 at 5:10 pm

@ realist i hope u never did nothing in your younger days, anyways he’s a child just exploring n i hope for your shake that if you have kids they wouldn’t make any mistakes.

God is watching over that child who is fighting for his life n as for that guard I just hope that when your time comes that u can answer to the wrong that u have done to that child

19. independentlady July 4, 2013 at 5:14 pm

my prayers be with you Menelik God will take good care of you

20. Archangel Crichlow-Daniel July 4, 2013 at 6:31 pm

The security guard out if order, need arresting and put behind bars. Personally if it were my son I would deal wid he myself and God would have to come and help him. Praise Jesus nothing like that happen to them and I pray never will. Security guard need he backside burse wid blows man chaaaa

21. lester carter July 4, 2013 at 6:52 pm

two wrongs don’t make a right, this youngster did not make a mistake he’s 15, secondlly his mother apparentlly did not know where he was, thirdly the beating he got was excessive force, now who is to blame, the mother, the security guard or menelik ?just asking.

22. stressfree July 4, 2013 at 7:28 pm

this is so wrong, wishing him well, i hope that guard is prosecuted, this is brute force

23. phil July 4, 2013 at 7:40 pm

Any Tom, Dick and Harry can become a guard but they should be trained to apprehend and detain until the police arrive. Senseless beatings like this should not occur. Yes the youth are getting out of control and no I don’t have a problem with them getting there backsides tared for doing foolishness such as this. I have a good feeling they weren’t there for “boyhood adventures” as one comment stated but at the same time the “adult” “trained” security should be able to restrain a 15 year old boy.

24. Kyle July 4, 2013 at 7:42 pm

This is a sad situation although the boy was wrong this was not the way to treat a human being , I wonder if this guard has a child or children would you have treated them this way if they did wrong . Some may say he deserves it but if he jumped the fence all that he had to do was escort him out . The guard deserves what he gets ,I pray this child gets better and he will learn to make wise choices .Some people react before thinking .

25. Mr. W July 4, 2013 at 7:46 pm

We dont know who’s right or wrong or what transpired cause we werent there. All this accusing and charging business should be left to the professionals and an investigation. Wish your son a speedy recovery.

26. michelle July 4, 2013 at 7:58 pm

I was there two Sundays ago and saw a security guard hustling a young boy (he looked about the same age as the boy in the photo) outside, but the thing is he was held by his throat and his feet weren’t touching the ground. I could not believe what I was seeing. I wish him a speedy recovery, I’ll pray for him, but that security guard should be brought to justice. Who guards the guard.

• Concerned July 4, 2013 at 9:44 pm

exactly if you know this boy he isnt any taller than a 12 year child who is not fully mature yet…he looks mature but in height he’s short…so it is very unfair

27. mother of three July 4, 2013 at 8:00 pm

God forbid that young boy dies. Who would be held responsible? Most of us in our younger days have done something reckless. To those bloggers who had negative comments to make, how would you feel if he was your son, nephew, cousin, neighbor etc.

Regardless of the circumstances that led to this unfortunate incident, the security guard is wrong for what he did. He has to be held accountable for his actions.

As a mother , my heart goes out to him and I wish him a full recovery.

28. Straight up July 4, 2013 at 8:04 pm

Realist & Ricardo are two *********, if your child was in this state you wouldn’t be talkin that shot. Get outta here with that bull you 2 weak *******!!!!!!

29. blackbeautyvsi July 4, 2013 at 8:19 pm

I wish ur son a speedy recovery and hope the police get to the bottom of this .

30. rodnee July 4, 2013 at 8:47 pm

chaaa I cant believe people like realist would say something like that.i guess you don’t have any children. this is real sad.

31. marvin July 4, 2013 at 8:51 pm

Poor boy. I do agree with Cassandra this could have been written a WHOLE LOT BETTER. The guard is clearly foolish But there is a growing trend in Barbados of employing known idiots and maintaining their employment regardless of their inability to exercise judgement or use common sense.

32. Diana King July 4, 2013 at 8:58 pm

Realist……your mother should’ve left you in a condom, you are such an idiot to say something like that…SMH

33. Marva Lashley-Todd July 4, 2013 at 9:07 pm

I am sorry to hear what happen to this young fellow. My heart goes out to the mother and family. It is true he did stow away but the beating did not merit that. Lots of people stow away and even I did it when I was young as well to see wrestling at the stadium. That guard did not have the right to beat him so unmercifully, all he had to do was to put him out. I pray to God that he does not die within a year and a day of the beating cause the guard should be charged with murder. Praying all goes well but I hope the mother press charges against him.

34. Resey July 4, 2013 at 9:33 pm

Wishing you a speedy recovery to the youngster. Real talk no one was there to verify what had really happened from my experiences at events I know some security guards are mean and wicked and then these youngsters of today is the same way but what im really saying is that it should not have gotten that far regardless the situation after all he is a minor someone child and a human being.

35. Janet Gill July 4, 2013 at 9:53 pm

Like mother said , The boy was wrong in climbing over the fence, but it was n’t worth almost killing him for . Furthermore you did’t even have to pay an entrance fee it was a free fete. Hope the boy a speedy recovery, and yes the security should be charged.

36. Gem July 4, 2013 at 10:25 pm

Dear Jesus I beg you to forgive those idiotic comments. I have a 16 year old son and he sometimes do so many things for kicks that I often think is serious children will be children who says that that child even Knew he was doing something illegal. My heart goes out to him and his family may God bring healing upon his body and keep his family strong so they can rally around him in love. Justice will be bought to that security guard who committed this inhumane act may be not today or tomorrow but it will come. I often wonder why when we are in certain authoritative positions what gives us the Right to treat others like scum. It happens everyday in so many different setting. People we need to love more and treat all the way we wish to be treated. My prays are with this family. I feel your pain.

37. adrian July 4, 2013 at 11:31 pm

Cadear, we all make excuses for the wrongs in this society. Guard used too much force, true, must be charged true, unfortunate that it turned out this way, true, but the boy stowing way in a free event? Ask for all the facts cuz stowing way is wrong, stupid and quite suspicious, did he have drugs or weapons dat he cudnt use the entrance? Suppose no security caught him and he injured someone with a weapon is it still Cadear? People got their opinions that doesnt make them idiots because they share different views

38. deborah July 5, 2013 at 1:24 am

The Bible always said an eye for an eye, that guard was wrong to beat the boy like that. I hope he doesn’t have any children because he will not like anybody to do that to his kids.

Glad that is not my child because it will not be the end of it.

Sorry to say it like that but too many young people are being kids or hurt by people that don’t have any sense .

They need to be trained what to do with children or people for that matter .

I pray for the boy and his family and the guard because he knows what he did and will have to live with it on his mind for the rest of his life .

39. lynn hunt July 5, 2013 at 4:34 am

My brother had his throat cut and died as a result of same thing..wrong place wrong time. That was in Guadeloupe.

40. Dawn Rollins July 5, 2013 at 7:14 am

This is shameful!
    I do not understand why people who are placed in jobs of authority such as security & policing seem to think they are a law unto themselves.
    There are many, many more incidences that have not been brought to light by the press.
    The government security guards are the worse. A few years ago I had an incident at the QEH with three of those government security guards. I swear that if I ever have to return there again & any of them play the tail with me, I will hold a charge sheet for them. This incident is well documented by me.The head of the Government security guards & personnel at the QEH are just as bad as them.
    I hope that mother finds justice for her child.

41. sweet girl July 5, 2013 at 7:21 am

realist and ricardo stop talkin crap he doesnt deserve beaten boys will b boys i will pray for a this boy a speedy recovery u two dont want praying fa

42. sweet girl July 5, 2013 at 7:25 am

ricardo and realist stop talkin crap he does deserve beaten boys will b boys u two were boys once i will pray for this boy a speedy recovery but u two dont want prayin fa wanna want cussing

43. protective mom July 5, 2013 at 8:47 am

The event was for 18 yrs and up was he wrong to go over the fence yes but the God lord knows the crime did not warrant the punishment. All now isn’t the guard on bail?

44. parent July 5, 2013 at 10:22 am

if that security guard has to go court or pay bail he think his employers will pay sometimes men have to think with the right head

45. Julie July 5, 2013 at 10:24 am

Wow that guard use unnecessary force to someone who I believe was unarmed he could have simply arrested the boy and hand him over to the police.

46. Nasiya July 5, 2013 at 12:02 pm

IT
    IS SO TRUE THAT IT ONLY HAPPENS”ONLY BOUT HAY” SOME BLACK PEOPLE BELIEVE THAT WHEN THEY HAVE ON A UNIFORM AND ARE GIVEN AUTHORITY IT GIVES THEM THE RIGHT TO TAKE A 6 FOR A 9. if IT WAS MY CHILD only god knows what would happen to he

47. Hariette July 5, 2013 at 12:05 pm

The fact that the young man was wrong for stowing away does not give the guard the right to beat him at all. If that was a big man, he would have allowed the other two to continue to escort him off the property. He never would have raised a hand to hit him because he knew he would have gotten a beat down.

I’m sorry to hear what has happened to the young man and I wish him a speedy recovery.

God is not asleep.

KARMA!!

48. Strongly opinionated. July 5, 2013 at 1:54 pm

I agree w/ the person who talked about how badly written this article is. Apart from the actual story, THIS IS HORRIBLY PUT TOGETHER, just for views? Really?. If yu were beaten almost to death over something as simple, for a lack of a better word, as trespassing would yu want a picture like that of yourself all over the Internet?
    Also, the article is very vague, biased towards the mother and the mother would also be biased to her son.

I hope the mother lets her son know that what he did was wrong and stops at nothing to see justice to this veryy sad situation.

As for the guard, shame on you.

49. royal amiden July 5, 2013 at 8:16 pm

its unfortunate that this child had to suffer for stupidity his actions brought this on him ….so many questions so little answers …. bottom line is youth needs to take their place and behave n the parents needs to discipline their children more seriously because if he wasnt wid the crowd this would never happened…. again i’m sorry for the the kid n the suffering he is baring now. take responsibility for our kids action n as ours.

50. Sazzie July 7, 2013 at 8:19 am

What’s with the ‘third world’ quips? Barbados ain’t second or third to no one. If you believe these things don’t happen in Europe and USA, then you are naive. These things frequently happen in London/UK and the US. You only have to look on youtube to see the evidence. In fact the outcomes are generally even more horrendous with people being shot or dying the back of police vans being the norm. The BIG difference is, they are racially motivated. NOW who’s more third world?

Arrest the guy or family should take out civil action against him. People in positions of power should not be abusing that position and more especially on a child/young person.

51. iSPY July 24, 2014 at 1:36 pm

Is the security guard still living? If he was my son he would not know what hit him. God let that boy live for a reason.

Never put keys or a uniform in an uneducated man hands.