While repeated efforts to reach Dottin by phone this evening were unsuccessful, sources close to the Royal Barbados Police Force confirmed the development, but absolutely refused to offer any details, or answer any questions.
However, a source close to the commissioner explained that “he has been sent on administrative leave with immediate effect on the recommendation of the Police Service Commission to the Governor General that he be retired in the public interest”.
Additionally, unconfirmed reports tonight said that Assistant Commissioner of Police Tyrone Griffith had been temporarily elevated to the top spot.
There were also unconfirmed reports raising questions about whether Dottin’s acting deputy, Seymour Cumberbatch, was still in that post tonight.
One officer who usually attends the force’s heads of department meetings on Monday mornings told Barbados TODAY tonight that Dottin attended and chaired today’s discussion and returned to his office and therefore anything that occurred would have happened after that.
While Barbados TODAY probing did not establish a link with this latest development within the administration of the force, it did confirm that several documents were earlier this week presented to the Police Service Commission containing a number of allegations against Dottin.
In another section of the press over the weekend it was reported that the commission had excluded the commissioner from the process now underway of selecting a deputy commissioner to replace the retired Bertie Hinds.
Hinds departed the force last year after a running battle with Dottin that reports said spanned almost the entire decade since they took over the two top posts upon the retirement of then commissioner Grantley Watson. (RRM)