Minister: Accept the exam results
Minister of Education Ronald Jones today told parents that rather than “rushing” to the Ministry of Education to apply for transfers they should make use of all their choices when filling out the school option forms.
Jones, who at the time was announcing the results of the May 6 exam, expressed concerns to the media during a Press conference at the Elsie Payne Complex on Constitution Road about the number of parents expected to congregate at the minister tomorrow morning requesting transfers.
He said that some parents do not utilise the lists of schools and instead sometimes chose just two schools for their children to attend. In the case where the child did not receive a place at the preferred schools, those parents would then return to ask for transfers.
“So I am appealing to parents to understand the reality of their choices, the allocation and the space within our schools,” Jones said. “Some schools take about 180 to about 210 … and therefore there isn’t a lot that you can really do so when they get the results today … I think it is not necessary to rush to the ministry tomorrow morning — you just present significant problems.
“The officers try desperately to see what they can do but there isn’t much they can do even though they honestly look. We also said to principals “See if you can accommodate any more for us’, and they have been accommodating, but it creates some pressures.”
“At the base there is significant pressure, so I say to parents that the notion of transfers presents a significant difficulty. The system is almost fool proof in the sense of allocation. Unless you put in wrong data the system will not put out wrong data, based on your choice. The system is programmed to put exactly what you put on your choice,” said Jones.
Jones added that his ministry’s move to construct a new school to fill the void created by the abandonment of the Louis Lynch Secondary was progressing and he hoped this would help to free up more room. But with this new school some distance from becoming reality, and with the implementations of more sixth forms schools there was presently no extra room at the top of bottom of the system.
“We have 3,840 and some children may opt to be placed in a private school… When that happens one or two spaces might be come open. There has never been any significant room for transfers. We can’t stop them from making the requests — when the requests are made we will look at them, and some persons might be accommodated. Last year, there were 600 plus applications for transfers and less than 40 [were] accommodated.” (KC)