T&T gives up search for murder witness
PORT OF SPAIN — The state has given up the search for its main witness in the case against two men charged with the murder and dismemberment of a mother and her eight-year-old son.
Instead, an application will be made to have the statement of Alister Williams entered as part of the evidence against defendants Anton Goodridge and Shazard Rajack.
Last month the prosecution told the court searches were being made at hospitals to locate Williams, and a request was made for more time to find him.
Williams still could not be found and on Tuesday, Deputy Director of Public Prosecutions Joan Honore-Paul said that at the next hearing, an application will be made to have his statement placed into evidence.
The procedure was unable to take place on Tuesday as Honore-Paul said that a particular police officer needed in the matter, was seeking medical attention for a dislocated shoulder.
In the past, Deputy Chief Magistrate Mark Wellington had said that under the Evidence Act, if a witness could not be found, an application could be made to have the person’s statements tendered into evidence.
Goodridge and Rajack, both of Bertrand Street, San Fernando, are charged with the murder of Diane Williams and her son Shaquille Morgan. The headless bodies of the two were found at the Forres Park Landfill near Claxton Bay on July 21, 2010. Williams’ arms were found buried in a shallow grave at Old Train Line, Ste Madeleine, days later.
Goodridge told the court: “It going on three years now I here (in custody) and the prosecution can’t get their house in order yet … There’s always an excuse.”
Wellington reminded him that the matter is in the process of being heard. He however noted that the case was unable to proceed because of the officer’s absence and told the Honore-Paul, “we need to wrap up this”. (Express)