US issues security alert on The Bahamas
NASSAU — The United States Embassy in Nassau has issued a security alert to American citizens residing in and travelling to The Bahamas about an increase in armed robberies on New Providence.
The alert came after American sailor Kyle Bruner was murdered during an armed robbery last Sunday.
“Armed robbery remains a major threat facing US citizens in The Bahamas,” the statement said.
“Since the beginning of the year, a number of US citizens have fallen victim to armed robbery with some having been seriously injured in the commission of these crimes.
“The Royal Bahamas Police Force issued a message earlier this year citing concerns about the increased number of armed robberies in Nassau.”
Police said between January 1 and April 15 there were 328 armed robberies in The Bahamas.
Bruner, 34, of Chicago, Illinois, was shot during an armed robbery near the intersection of Mackey Street and East Bay Street, police said.
Police said two men followed Bruner, another man and two women after they left Hammer Heads Bar and Grill on East Bay Street around 4:30 a.m. on Sunday.
Police said the men, one of whom was armed, confronted Bruner and his friends on Mackey Street and demanded their belongings.
During the hold-up, one of the women reportedly got into a scuffle with one of the assailants.
Police said Bruner attempted to confront the gunman and was shot in the neck.
Four men were charged with his murder yesterday. Police were still looking for another man in connection with Bruner’s death. (Nassau Guardian)