October 23, 2016 - Barbados welcomes MV Viking Star The MV Viking Star docked for the f ... +++ October 23, 2016 - Griffith wins BLP nomination in St John   Charles Griffith will repres ... +++ October 23, 2016 - Hudson Griffith withdraws from BLP nomination for St John seat     As supporters of the ... +++ October 23, 2016 - Chelsea thrash Mourinho’s United 4-0 Source: AFP- LONDON, United Kingdom ... +++ October 23, 2016 - Relief on the way, says BWA The Barbados Water Authority (BWA) ... +++ October 23, 2016 - SSA board could face legal action, Comissiong warns Outspoken social activist and attor ... +++

Barry’s back

barrychandlerFormer Party Monarch king Barry Chandler, silenced for the past few years by a drug addiction that nearly took his life, is singing a redemption song.

And as the 28-year old who has been given a second chance prepares to fully take part in his first Crop-Over in recent memory, he is warning youngsters with talent like him to avoid the pitfalls that saw him fall from soca king to beggar.

Chandler, a former Tune-of-The-Crop winner and Richard Stoute Teen Talent champion, bore his soul today in an extensive and very candid interview with Barbados TODAY, speaking publicly for the first time about his struggle with illegal drugs, one which saw him lie to those closest to him and spend thousands of dollars to feed his habit.

The youngster believes he is living proof of how illicit drugs can ravage your life as they took him on a downward spiral, causing him to spend endless hours in drug holes, engaging in “walking marathons”, lying and begging people for money to get his fix so he could get high.

At six-foot-one, the former co-lead singer with the band Jabae said he weighed 136 pounds during those days, but today he was ready to put all of that behind him and this Crop-Over will be making a come back.

He will be entering both the Sweet Soca and Party Monarch competitions. The latter he won back in 2006 with Flames.

He said he returned from Trinidad two weeks ago after recording the four songs he hopes will take off. These are Encounter, I Feel Like a King, a remake of Carew’s Snakes in de Grass and Crop-Over, which he said was in the same vein as Rupee’s I’m a Bajan.

Chandler said frankly he was killing himself with his drug addiction.

“I said it was my fault that I’m in this position, nobody ain’t get me here. It was only me that got me in this position and it’s only me to blame. I couldn’t even admit that a couple of months before.

“I wasn’t fun. I was killing myself and I didn’t know, but today I feel like I’ve won already — I’m not talking about the competition. I feel that I win because I went to Trinidad and actually get to record a song. The way how the songs came out I tell myself I could still sing.

“I have to keep praying to God, I ain’t no Christian or nothing, but I have to keep praying to God. I thought my life was over,” he said softly. “Once you admit you have to get help that’s the biggest thing you have to deal with. Me admitting that I have a serious problem tek me years to do.”

He said that if people did not want to get drunk they should not drink one drink because that was “too much and a million is never enough”.

“Once you buy one stone all your money is gone,” he added.

barrychandlerspeaks“I’m just thankful to be here today to speak to you and tell you that any youngsters out there that got talent and want to be something in life, you can’t use drugs ’cause only two things comes out of drugs pain and suffering. You suffer and you’re in pain,” Chandler said.

He said he was now living with his grandmother again who always looked out for him and even though he put her through a lot of pain she used to visit him while he was in rehab.

“I used to trick my grandmother a lot and my grandmother loves her grandchildren real bad. I would tell her my brother get kidnapped and I had to get $1,000 to get him back and she gave me. My grandmother kept me on my feet, even now. What caused me to take this rehab thing serious is that is something I used to thing about. When she came to look for me at Verdun House I had to make amends and tell her about the wrong things I’ve done which was a part of therapy. My grandmother tell me she ain’t care and that made me feel better.

“I told myself I have to lick this here. You hurt more people than you hurt self. They’re a lot of people out there that loved me. I thought she hated me because when I wanted money and she didn’t want to give me I was cruel. I said ‘she hate me’,” Chandler said.

He also said it was not about the money.

“I have something in life today that’s better than money to me. You want money but I have something better than that. I’m clean so I can make money. When you’re powerless you’re so uneasy you’re not comfortable with yourself. I hated myself and for somebody who used to love themselves, dress clean and like a lot of girls. I didn’t even want any. My girl was drugs …,” he said.

He hopes his experience will help turn some young person away from drugs.

The singer said that even though they were people expecting him to fall prey to marijuana or cocaine he learnt he had to stay away from certain people, places and things.

Chandler is grateful to his manager Dwyane Grazette, whom he described as a very decent person who fought for him and his talent.

Also see: Second Chance –

20 Responses to Barry’s back

1. Linda May 18, 2013 at 7:39 am

I am very proud of you Barry continue on your journey dont look back

2. lynda May 18, 2013 at 9:51 am

authorities should overturn all those drug holes, and jail all pushers, because they are murderers

3. Dayle, Kester and Adrian May 18, 2013 at 10:43 am

Welcome back bro, we knew you could do it…friends forever

4. Basil Yarde May 18, 2013 at 11:41 am

Everyone deserves second chances my brother……..keep pushing

5. Patrick May 18, 2013 at 1:58 pm

looking forward to hearing those songs……do not look back, keep your head on ……good to hv u back.

6. danielle blagrove May 18, 2013 at 2:26 pm

welcome back and what ever you do put god first and make more top song thank you don’t ever look back

7. Moe May 18, 2013 at 3:40 pm

be encouraged. it is a process. keep on keeping on and know that the power now lies within you

8. Rev.Shauntelle Best May 18, 2013 at 4:35 pm

My dear I bless God for sustaining you in the mist of the storm, i sang with you in the Richard Stoute Teen Talent competition, and from then i knew you would go places,continue to share your testimony with others, it’s persons like yourself that God will one day raise up to make a difference in the lives of our young people. Walk tall,with your head held high my friend. Each one reach one,God bless you,will keep you in my prayer.

9. Donna May 18, 2013 at 5:25 pm

i am happy that you have turned your life around. i hope this experience will bring you to a closer relationship with Jesus and that in some way you can bless others. Dont give up!

10. joy headley May 18, 2013 at 7:02 pm

my prayers goes out to you ,there is always something calla second chance ,only who feels it knows it

11. Merlin May 18, 2013 at 7:11 pm

I do not know your music, but anyone delivered from drugs has my support. My prayer is that you come to know God as your personal Lord and savior. You have a powerful testimony! Use it to help those who are weak and do not forget to give God the glory for he is the one who delivered you.

12. Juel May 18, 2013 at 11:27 pm

I am happy for you. I, however want to encourage you to try Jesus because He cares more about you that you know. You talk about praying to God – You can really get connected if you call on Jesus to fill the void that the drugs have left before the enemy of your soul returns and he will. You don’t know me but I pray for strength for you to do the right thing.

13. michelle payne May 19, 2013 at 10:51 am

to god be the glory great things he has done ,he has delivered u out of the lion’s my prayers go out for u god bless u and keep u may his face continue to shine upon u and give u grace

14. Ria Borman May 19, 2013 at 6:25 pm

God is so good! I have been praying for you my brother, every day and every night that God would heal you and take care of you. I too have an older brother that is still of today hooked on drugs and you are a true testimony! Keep up the fight and I will continue to keep you in my prayers! Love you a whole lot! Very Proud of you!!!

15. Ebony May 20, 2013 at 3:07 am

Great job Barry! Forward ever, backward never! Blessings!

16. tonia May 20, 2013 at 5:36 pm

congrats to you barry, keep your head up and get closer to God. You will see he takes care of everything.

17. Marita May 20, 2013 at 10:16 pm

Glad u r back Barry u were missed by many keep the faith n remember nothin beats prayer may God bless n strengthen u on ur journey

18. Nakita May 21, 2013 at 7:37 am

Barry, I am so very happy to read your testimony. Even, happier to know that you took a brave step and sought help and an even braver step to share your story. May God continue to guide you.

19. Patricia May 21, 2013 at 2:56 pm

Your past is history, let it be a learning lesson. Keep praying My God says He will never leave us or forsake us, all we have to do is to call upon Him. He is AWESOME.

20. Cheril Marshall-Morris May 21, 2013 at 11:05 pm

Hi Barry,
    To God be the glory that you have come this far. Your real journey has only just begun and know that there will be tough days ahead. I encourage you to “in all your ways acknowledge God and He will direct your path.” You may never imagine the many lives that your story has touched and will continue to touch.
    Blessings to your Gran who never gave up on you!