News Feed

October 27, 2016 - IAAF wants Bolt’s services KINGSTON, Jamaica – IAAF Pres ... +++ October 27, 2016 - Proper shutdown protocol needed, says Bynoe The Department of Emergency Managem ... +++ October 27, 2016 - ‘Out of touch’ Economist Ryan Straughn says the la ... +++ October 27, 2016 - Lowe looking to protect the south coast A senior policymaker has warned tha ... +++ October 27, 2016 - Road Hockey 5s hit halfway mark After three weeks of competition th ... +++ October 27, 2016 - Sutherland rubbishes Green Economy Scoping study Member of Parliament for St George ... +++

Ready to talk


Former national security minister and Chaguanas West MP Jack Warner poses with Sariah John, right, and Faria Manickchand during his seventh annual Mother’s Day reception yesterday.

PORT OF SPAIN — While his father chose to not provide FIFA’s ethics committee with answers, Daryan Warner had indicated he was ready to face the heat and prove his innocence with respect to allegations made against him.

Daryan, son of former Government minister and FIFA vice-president and Concacaf president Jack Warner, stated this in response to a question from New York Times sportswriter Jere Longman at the height of the FIFA presidential election campaign in 2011.

Warner (D) is reported to be a co-operating witness in a current Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) case in the United States with repect to allegations of football corruption.

The 2011 e-mail between Warner and Longman surfaced on the Internet yesterday.

Simpaul Travel, formerly owned by the Warner family, was previously investigated by FIFA after it was revealed that tickets for the 2006 World Cup were channelled through the company.

On June 26, 2011, Longman e-mailed Daryan Warner with respect to Simpaul Travel and a FIFA decision that US$1 million be repaid to FIFA.

Longman noted the minutes of the FIFA executive committee meeting from December 5 and 6, 2006 said: “The decision passed by the FIFA executive committee on June 4, 2006, which stipulated that Simpaul Travel and/or Daryan Warner had to reimburse FIFA the sum of euro 754,375 (approximately US$1 million) for SOS Children’s Villages had still not been complied with despite numerous reminders from FIFA.”

Longman added that the minutes stated further that a payment of US$250,000 had been made, which would be passed on to a charity.

In response to Longman, Daryan Warner questioned how could any reasonable individual accept the statement issued by the FIFA executive committee in the absence of the usual due process of any investigation.

He said he was never called before any FIFA committee to offer a defence or present evidence.

“While the FIFA code of ethics has no provisions to fine or penalise organisations or individuals not associated with FIFA or any of its member associations, I was ready to appear before FIFA just as I facilitated a similar request from Ernst & Young representatives at the request of the FIFA general secretary,” stated Daryan Warner.

“I had nothing to hide then and I have even less need to be cautious now. The reality is that FIFA knew that it could never enforce any such judgment against me and apparently hoped that the issue would die a natural death,” he added.

“I on the other hand chose to move on from the issue and raise no strong objection to the statements made so as to not embarrass FIFA, mainly because of my father’s association with the organisation. The million-dollar question remains, why would FIFA make a ruling that its own statutes does not give it the jurisdiction to enforce?” Warner continued. (Express)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *