News Feed

October 23, 2016 - Barbados welcomes MV Viking Star The MV Viking Star docked for the f ... +++ October 23, 2016 - Griffith wins BLP nomination in St John   Charles Griffith will repres ... +++ October 23, 2016 - Hudson Griffith withdraws from BLP nomination for St John seat     As supporters of the ... +++ October 23, 2016 - Chelsea thrash Mourinho’s United 4-0 Source: AFP- LONDON, United Kingdom ... +++ October 23, 2016 - Relief on the way, says BWA The Barbados Water Authority (BWA) ... +++ October 23, 2016 - SSA board could face legal action, Comissiong warns Outspoken social activist and attor ... +++

Help us, Portia

From left: Marjorine Hinds, Lloyd D’Aguilar and Adina Darby at the press conference yesterday.

From left: Marjorine Hinds, Lloyd D’Aguilar and Adina Darby at the press conference yesterday.

KINGSTON — From watching her son cut down by bullets to her own desperate struggle to survive a gunshot wound, Adina Darby’s recollection of her ordeal during the 2010 Tivoli Gardens incursion by members of the security forces elicited tears and gasps of astonishment from her counterparts.

The emotional and physical scars were obvious for the 56-year-old grandmother as she spoke during a press conference held yesterday to push the Government to help bring closure for the families affected by the incident.

She showed journalists a long scar on her lower abdomen, remnants of the extensive medical treatment she underwent after being shot by a member of the Jamaica Constabulary Force.

“Mi get a shot here so,” Darby said pointing to her lower back.

“It come straight down to my womb and den go so,” she said, as her hand traced from her lower back to her lower abdomen.

“The doctor dem tek out mi womb,” she said to loud gasps by other residents.

The Office of the Public Defender, headed by attorney-at-law Earl Witter, has been investigating the many claims of atrocities committed by members of the security forces during the two-day incursion which left 73 civilians and one soldier dead, but to date, the report has not been completed.

Resignation calls

This has led to widespread public criticisms and calls for Witter’s resignation. However, Speaker of the House of Representatives, Michael Peart, has said he expects to have the report by the end of the month.

Darby recalled being inside her house with family members shortly after the security forces entered the west Kingston community in search of then fugitive Christopher Dudus Coke.

She said her ordeal started after her son went outside on a staircase and held up his cell phone “to get signal”. The elderly woman said her son quickly ran back inside announcing he had been shot.

“Mi know say him love run joke so mi say, ‘Move from ya so, man’. By the time mi say dat, mi see him jus roll down the staircase and lick him head and mi know say him dead,” she said.

Darby said she immediately ran outside to seek help and remembers running past a ‘gentleman’, who she claimed was a policeman, ‘in full blue (denim)’.

“By time mi run pass him, mi hear sup’n go ‘bow’,” she said, imitating the sound of gunfire.

The elderly woman said she realised she had been shot and recalled dragging her huge frame on the ground several yards in a desperate attempt to get assistance from neighbours.

“Mi start pray. Mi say, ‘Father’ nuh mek mi dead. Do, Father, do,” she said, as other residents listening to her story wept openly.

Darby said she lay wounded for hours before a group of soldiers entered the community and confirmed that her son was dead before transporting her to the University Hospital of the West Indies.

She said she now has to find thousands of dollars for medication and has to wear diapers. (Gleaner)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *