Siblings die in blaze
ST. JOHN’S — Mother of two, Claudie-May Thomas, 24, was looking forward to attending church yesterday with her two children – five-year-old Gabrielle and three-year-old Arielle Thomas – instead she is fighting back tears and trying to cope with the reality of their untimely death mere hours earlier.
The sisters met their death in a house fire, which completely gutted the two-bedroom structure on Dyer Street, Villa, midnight Saturday.
“They were to attend church with me at the Beacon Light Church of the Nazarene. Instead, I am now left with a hole in my heart, missing my two babies,” the grief-stricken mother said through tears yesterday.
The pre-schooler and toddler were left in the company of their uncle, Jason Thomas, at the time of the incident.
The mother, who collapsed when she heard the tragic news, said she left both children sleeping.
Claudie-May said she left home to visit a restaurant located just about five to 10 minutes away from her home.
Almost an hour later, she received a phone call from her neighbour who told her the tragic news.
According to Claudie-May both sisters were fun loving and a blessing to everyone they encountered.
“They had a smile that could light up a room, and Gabrielle she was the brightest in her class at the Villa Primary School,” Claudie-May said.
The younger Arielle attended the Villa pre-school, which was recently opened.
Investigators probing the fire suspected the two young victims succumbed to smoke inhalation.
Sources close to the incident told our newsroom both bodies were found in the exact positions in which they were left.
The mother of two said the electricity was disconnected from the home three days ago and she had to use candles as a source of light. (Antigua Observer)