October 26, 2016 - No decision on Hyatt, says Town Planner Following Monday’s unannounced si ... +++ October 26, 2016 - Windies ‘A’ dominate Sri Lanka ‘A’ DAMBULLA, Sri Lanka – A combi ... +++ October 26, 2016 - Govt to ‘come down hard’ on employers Minister of Labour Dr Esther Byer-S ... +++ October 26, 2016 - Debt burden still a fiscal drag –– Forte No need for wild celebrations! That ... +++ October 26, 2016 - It’s Rubbish! Fresh from a recent bout of illness ... +++ October 26, 2016 - Pollard hits back Kieron Pollard has challenged the W ... +++

Cost-U-Less: Just hold on

Shop Smart $22.98 (200oz) PriceSmart $21.98 (200oz) Cost-U-Less $18.99 (150oz)

Shop Smart $22.98 (200oz)
PriceSmart $21.49 (200oz)
Cost-U-Less $18.99 (150oz)

Cost-U-Less has told consumers in Barbados that while it’s in the business of offering “low” prices, it would not be dropping them just for the sake of doing so.

Store Manager, Roland Wehrmeijer, told Barbados TODAY that his job in the country was to make sure the business remained competitive, while providing affordable prices.

Wehrmeijer assured Barbadians that even though only a small number of its items could now be bought at lower prices than its competitors, many more were expected to be included over time.

He projected that it would take about two years before local consumers could start noticing prices falling on a more substantial portion of groceries than currently existed.

The store manager disclosed that between 35 per cent to 40 per cent of their stock had been sourced from Barbados or CARICOM countries.

“There is wide local sourcing of produce such as chicken, pork and dry foods,” he noted.

Investigations by this newspaper found that the store sold local carrots, beets, belly pumpkins, tomatoes, mangoes, cucumber, seasoning, flour, sweet potatoes, syrups and ginger.

It also stocked Barbadian milk, juices, soft drinks, fish and bread. (EJ)

7 Responses to Cost-U-Less: Just hold on

1. Jerome April 20, 2013 at 2:32 pm

You would do well to give the per ounce rate for the product shown above as some might find it difficult to compare them as they have different volumes.

Shopsmart: 11.5 cents per ounce
    Pricemart: 10.8 cents per ounce
    Cost-U-Less: 12.7 cents per ounce

Now, it’s clear to see that with Cost-U-Less, the item is more expensive per ounce. If this were applied to Cost-U-Less selling a 200oz bottle, it would cost over $25. That said, obviously you tend to pay less for as the volume increases etc so that’s not accurate but the comparison above is misleading!

2. John April 20, 2013 at 11:20 pm

What is the real story here is that this government (DLP) gave this store considerable concessions in dollars with tax free options. Basically giving them an unfair advantage over other Barbadian owned business’ – so basically they can keep their prices the same and still make more money than any Barbadian supermarket chain or shopkeeper.

3. islandgal April 21, 2013 at 9:55 am

Cost u less is also baiting and switching at the checkout. For example honey dew melons and cantaloupes are priced each when you get to the checkout they are weighing them and charging you more. I have had arguments with them on four occasions and each time there were several managers and supervisors checking their computers and telling me that they are soldby the kilo. I pointed out to them that they are priced at each. They went and took down the each price tag and told me it was the wrong price. I left without purchasing. Three weeks later the each price tag was back up so I attempted to purchase again. The same problem occurred and we had another argument. Finally they knew that I was speaking the truth so they tried to bypass the code for melons and entered another. I read my bill and they entered the melon as Idaho potatoes. The guard at the door didn’t even notice even though I had few items in my cart. I find it very difficult to shop at cost you less. I attempted to purchase melons on another occasion, yes the price was each and when I got to the cashier they charged me by the kilo I left them there. These people are not ready for business AT ALL. It costs us more to shop there.

4. Mark April 21, 2013 at 12:46 pm

why does exactly the same product (e.g. sausages) that costs more or less the equivalent to BBD 18.00 at Costuless Curaçao cost more than BBD 35.00 over here? How can that be explained? It is either too high import taxes from the Barbados government or Costuless that saw an opportunity of selling at higher prices over here… It would be interesting to know the truth, because we costumers are paying for it.

5. Mac10 April 21, 2013 at 6:20 pm

@Mark. Two words – Import Tax!!!!

6. Cin Cin April 22, 2013 at 5:55 am

Why are you shopping at Costuless and complaining, let us shut down Costuless like we did to McDonalds a few years ago. STAY OUT OF COSTULESS.

7. Bling April 26, 2013 at 5:57 pm

I love the store, every time I come there I note positive changes and as a local I also note that their prices are the lowest on Island. they have a wide fresh variety of products and every week they have specials, the staff is friendly and helpful.